physiotherapy

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:18 AM

keithkeith is a decent person
physiotherapy

has anyany one been through physio for a broken first metercarpal(base of thumb),just got mine out of the cast this morning,and can barley move it,was wondering what excersise they give you to do,any help would be appricated as cant get a appointment for ten days. thanks
Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 AM

hyperryder is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: physiotherapy

Originally Posted by keithkeith
has anyany one been through physio for a broken first metercarpal(base of thumb),just got mine out of the cast this morning,and can barley move it,was wondering what excersise they give you to do,any help would be appricated as cant get a appointment for ten days. thanks
ohh dont tell me you broke that one. i broke that one and many more in my wrist. i never did therapy but i also bairly used it in the healing process. some words of advise keep your wrist under alot of heat. when i would bath ( dont laugh i had raod rash every were) i would cover the cash in a bag and submerge it in the hot water it would make my wrist feel much better. also make shure you eat right. sounds gay but it works. i luckly got full movement back in my wrist 65% of people do not get full movement back. just hope you get atleats 60% of it back or you will have a hard life. just take good care of it during the healing process. good luck bor sorry to hear about it
Old 06-27-2007, 11:02 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

you can go to physical therapy if you like. I've broken both my wrists and never went. It's all about stretching and slowly building up the weight you are able to lift and rotate.

since you are first out of your cast, the main reason you have trouble using your wrist is lack of muscle. Unless your fracture was severely displaced and they had to do some surgery on ligaments and tendons, lack of use is the main concern. If you did have a horrible fracture and htey had to do reconstrutive surgery then chances are the ligaments will be tighter and will need to be stretched out to get full mobility.

I would just hold tight and slowly start using the wrist again with little weights or anything light, then work up to it. Took me a few weeks to get strength enough to use either of my hands after my healing process.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

Call and ask the doctors office if it's normal and what activities will help.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:30 PM

cisco5311 is an unknown quantity at this point

they will have you do excersizes to work all the muscles in your hand, wrist, and arm

you've prob got a lot of muscle atrophy (shrinking) after being in the cast, don't worry, you'll be at it agian in no time!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:18 AM

keithkeith is a decent person

cheers peeps tryed moving it in the bath and feel a lot eaiser when warmed up hopefully wont be too long