Cracked Frames

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:28 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of
Cracked Frames

I am curious about the durability of frames. I'm already sold on the F4I because imo it has a sweeter throttle than a lot of bikes and doesn't feel as topheavy as comparably sweet bikes.

And apparently the frame is more durable in drops, at least caged.

Which makes me wonder, are there particular places on certain bikes where the frame is more likely to crack? Does cage brand make any difference? Is it a design incompatability issue where the cage transfers impact shock to a particularly vulnerable place on the frame?

I'd like to hear some cracked frame stories out of curiosity, wondering if most of them have a common thread.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:42 AM
DSC

DSC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cracked Frames

i don't have any cracked frame stories but my f4i has hit the pavement pretty hard and and the only problem i have had was the bolt for my cage(powers) was to short and it pulled the threads out of the motor mount. simple fix longer bolt more threads and retaping the motor mount. no problem since then and still bounce off pavement
Old 06-23-2007, 11:50 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dscamry
i don't have any cracked frame stories but my f4i has hit the pavement pretty hard and and the only problem i have had was the bolt for my cage(powers) was to short and it pulled the threads out of the motor mount. simple fix longer bolt more threads and retaping the motor mount. no problem since then and still bounce off pavement
Thanks for the response. My agenda for asking is I want to know which cages people were running when they cracked their frames, where the frame cracked, and the bike year make and model.

If there's an obvious pattern, the same principals of select armoring vehicles can be applied. Often it's just a very minor tweak of an angle, mount or support placement, or even metal density of the armor/cage that fixes an issue.

Architectural dynamics apply, force can inadvertently be redirected detrimentally, or intentionally redirected to your benefit. There's a fairly standard principal in force dispersion technologies. I'll pass the info around the ballistics lab I use and see what everyone comes up with, and bring back any relevant info.

And sell it to ya for a dollar. :P
Old 06-23-2007, 11:52 AM

We've all been talking bikes lately. There's some interest in cages because armor is interesting to all of us.

I was trying to get everyone talking about stunt armor for the riders, but the guys have found something else to fixate on.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Outlawtorn50 is an unknown quantity at this point

From experience I can say R6s are softies. Freestyle Ingenuity has taken back seat to newer and improved cages. I just ordered a Tygershark CJ-3 for my '01 F4i, but I almost don't even want to give up my Sick Innovations.

F4is are rock solid. I have an RC51 sub on mine with a sick innovations cage and it's taken a good beating. I've pancaked that thing pretty hard and I 've only had minor bike injuries like a bent rear set, broken kick stand, and cracked tail section.

The F4i is a tried and true, rock solid, platform. Sick Innovations makes a hell of a cage for that bike. If I do decide to put on my Tygershark then I will be able to compare the two, but I love my Sick Innovations.

I think the way cages are designed definitely does play a roll in the stability and durability of the cage and the bike itself.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:27 PM

Outlawtorn50 is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems new Gixxers are breaking in half at the weld. Most frames I've seen cracked are at the neck area or by the sub.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:13 PM

fatboystuntz will become famous soon enough

my first frame on my 03 636 i cracked on the right motor mount...i still to this day think that it ahd alot to do with my 905 cage cuz i only had a few very hard drops and it carcked almost all the waya round....

now i got my FI cage and ive dropped it 100's of times and never a crack yet...so from my expereince id never rock anything 905 again