Best way to support an engine! Advice Please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 AM

zride is an unknown quantity at this point
Best way to support an engine! Advice Please.

I am in the middle of a frame swap on my stunt bike. Yeah I know I bit the bullet and bought a new frame. Anyways I am down to the motor and frame. I have my new frame already and am trying to figure out what is the best way to support the motor so I can unbolt the remaining bolts then install new frame to the motor. Any advice, tips, or help would be much appreciated.....

Thanks,

Isaac
Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 AM

Lunchbox- is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best way to support an engine! Advice Please.

I JUST LET THE MOTOR SIT ON THE GROUND ON THE EXHAUST AND A FEW 2 X 4S AND ITS ALL GOOD
Old 06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
use code "handy" 4 magura

stuntsteel is a decent person

place a car tire under the motor.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Set the motor on a milk crate or something of similar height. Unbolt the frame and pull it off the motor, drop the new frame on the motor and build the bike on the milk crate.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 AM

got15plus1 is a decent person

..milkcrates are great for it, but hell just some 2x4's will do the same if your desperate..
Old 06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to suggest the car/rear moto tire thing aswell.

If it's a GSX-R frame, get that thing reinforced before installing it. Just a suggestion.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by got15plus1
..milkcrates are great for it, but hell just some 2x4's will do the same if your desperate..
Unless you build a stand out of the 2x4's or stack them 12-18" tall the swingarm and forks are going to be a bitch to put on.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:02 PM

Herb is an unknown quantity at this point

I always use a log from the woodpile.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 PM

wall hit is an unknown quantity at this point

i just held the motor and had help undo the last bolts, then lowered it to the ground.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:35 PM

zride is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey thanks everyone for the replies. Its is much appreciated. As soon as I get the motor transfered over I should be good to go. I ended up putting some long bolts in the rear set holes. then using a couple jack stands to hold the rear up so I can put the shock/swing arm on. The front I am using some blocks of wood on a five gallon bucket under the neck. Sounds like a milk crate or car tire should work just fine from what most of you are saying, and from what others say it doesnt seem too heavy that I almost could hold it while someone undoes the last bolts. But I would lIke to support the motor so I can bolt up the new frame with minimal load on the bolts. Cool cool I will give it a try. Thanks stunnas!

Z
Old 06-20-2007, 02:52 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

i just grabbed a kitchen chair laid it on its back and dropped the motor on the legs (if you dont believe me ask anyones who's been to my house), **** works hella good. when you go to put it back together just lift the frame over the top of it and bolt it in. then hang it from the rafters in your garage when you put everything else on.

-mexican mayhem
Old 06-20-2007, 03:00 PM

CHADf is an unknown quantity at this point

if u unbolt the front of the motor on both sides then use the back bolt that holds in the motor to use as a pivot point to help u lower the motor on to a tire then un bolt back bolts and pick frame up over motor!

droped a few gixxxer motors(this is best way)
Old 06-20-2007, 03:40 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

You bought a new frame because of one crack? On an old gixxer? And you didn't reinforce the new frame? Did you actually read anything in that old thread you posted?