Dual caliper VS. Full Throttle hand brake setups?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 AM

PETe P is a decent person
Dual caliper VS. Full Throttle hand brake setups?

I searched it out and really didn't find the topic. So i was wondering if i could get some feed back. Pro's and Cons. Any kind of feedback would be a huge help. No one around here has a dual caliper setup. The guys usually run the Full Throttle fitting. Not trying to be different just curiouse if the dual caliper setup is worse or better. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-26-2007, 09:20 AM

nyRocketkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Dual caliper VS. Full Throttle hand brake setups?

few good reasons why to buy a dual set-up bracket:
1. If you damage your hand master
cylinder you still have got your foot brake.
2. If you break off your right foot bracket
you still have your hand brake.
3. How often will you have a spare hand master cylinder with you?
4. Rear master cylinder adapter style hand brake set-ups aren’t back up proof. If you mess up your hand master cylinder and air gets into your line you are left without rear brakes. This will not be the case when you are operating with a dual set-up bracket.
5. For competition riders two brake systems are better than one. Even professional riders occasionally break parts. In competition the judges aren’t going to give you time to fix a brake problem, but if you’re running a dual caliper set-up, then you have nothing to worry about

Alot of guys here run the dual caliper bracket with the brembo 16x18 master andlove it. One finger lockup easily.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:57 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Dr.Spot
Not trying to be different just curiouse if the dual caliper setup is worse or better. Thanks for the help!
Dont even think about reliability issues. If its done right, either way wont be a problem, and its pretty easy to do right.

The difference is with 2 calipers you can use both at the same time. But why would you want to?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:11 PM

-RYNO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeM
Dont even think about reliability issues. If its done right, either way wont be a problem, and its pretty easy to do right.

The difference is with 2 calipers you can use both at the same time. But why would you want to?
to save your ***........brake fade is ineveitable
Old 05-26-2007, 12:20 PM
J Blox

frayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura about

Ho Hey designs................
Old 05-26-2007, 12:48 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by -RYNO
to save your ***........brake fade is ineveitable
not on a honda....never once had it. change your fluid more often and put good stuff in it. and for god's sake: LEARN TO WHEELIE (won't have to be on the brakes all the time)

but seriously, i had a dual caliper setup on my 929 for 3 years. It was nice but now that i'm on my adapter style handbrake, it feels the same. I didn't notice any difference at all.

only thing i can think is having 2 sets of brake pads and if you use your handbrake less you'll wear those pads out less.

never thought about it as a backup because that's something i haven't broken and is a very rare occourance. (hasn't happened to anyone i ride with in the last 5 years that i've been stunting).
Old 05-26-2007, 01:17 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

my first hb set up was the adapter style and i didnt really like it. it didnt have much feel to it and not a whole lot of strength, it was decent for lot **** but for the street...well i ended up wrecking my gix cuz the hb was weak and wouldnt pull my bike back up from scraping tail in a ss. i also didnt like when i was doing sit down, jump to ss that theres a dead spot when youre switchin from foot to hb. that can be elminated by just using the hb in the sit down but thats just the way i do it. i now have a dual caliper on my 636 and it was worth every penny i spent on it and ill never use anything else. the feel of dual caliper for me is nothing short of amazing, total control.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:20 PM

PETe P is a decent person

thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:06 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
my first hb set up was the adapter style and i didnt really like it. it didnt have much feel to it and not a whole lot of strength, it was decent for lot **** but for the street...well i ended up wrecking my gix cuz the hb was weak and wouldnt pull my bike back up from scraping tail in a ss. i also didnt like when i was doing sit down, jump to ss that theres a dead spot when youre switchin from foot to hb. that can be elminated by just using the hb in the sit down but thats just the way i do it. i now have a dual caliper on my 636 and it was worth every penny i spent on it and ill never use anything else. the feel of dual caliper for me is nothing short of amazing, total control.
you probably didn't have it bled correctly. i've never had a "dead" spot and mine is far from weak.

a lot of people say that the adapters are junk, then they have someone who knows how to bleed brakes work on it and it's perfect. one of my buddies here did the same, his hb was garbage, i got ahold of it with my pressure bleeder and it's awsome now.

and a hb didn't cause you to crash, u caused you to crash street SS scrapes i don't even use my HB to come back down, just work the clutch and let the motor do it.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Scott- is an unknown quantity at this point

first off bleeding the dual caliper setup is way easier that was reson enough for me to go with the ho hey setup and second its the best setup money can buy ho hey for life bitches
Old 05-26-2007, 05:56 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by binder929rr
you probably didn't have it bled correctly. i've never had a "dead" spot and mine is far from weak.

a lot of people say that the adapters are junk, then they have someone who knows how to bleed brakes work on it and it's perfect. one of my buddies here did the same, his hb was garbage, i got ahold of it with my pressure bleeder and it's awsome now.

and a hb didn't cause you to crash, u caused you to crash street SS scrapes i don't even use my HB to come back down, just work the clutch and let the motor do it.
it was bled correctly, no matter how you bleed them when ur on footbrake and switch to hand brake it doesnt engage fully at first. when i start scraping and grab my hb and it doesnt pull me back cuz its too weak to pull me off of scraping at 50mph im gonna blame the hand brake. im happy for you that you are a ****** engine brake master but unfortunately for me when i let go of the throttle and pulled the hb as hard as i could the bike remained scraping on the tail and the subframe broke, after that and knowing i didnt have a parachute i realized all options were gone and i let go of the bike causing a crash. but i appreciate you telling me how you are the engine break master and prob dont even need a handbreak. high 5.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:03 PM
back in the saddle again

ya, cause how else did we do it back in the day without handbrakes....sorry you started stunting when everyone had one. you can do any scrape without a handbrake....

and i've never had any delay, first pull on my handbrake is nice and powerful. something is wrong with your setup. tony's is the same as mine, nice and powerful, every pull.

i must have gotten the special one when i ordered mine then cause mine works.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:40 PM

could have something to do with your big *** sprocket. and also the fact that you run a 12 bar which i dont. if u pull the clutch in while scraping plastic and dont have a brake i would enjoy viewing the results.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:56 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

I'm about to swap to a dual caliper setup... I hate using my hb for sitdown o's, but I want to do **** like sitdown o to frog o, but it's a lot harder to do that when I have to pump my hb once before I can use it.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by inolen
I'm about to swap to a dual caliper setup... I hate using my hb for sitdown o's, but I want to do **** like sitdown o to frog o, but it's a lot harder to do that when I have to pump my hb once before I can use it.
you prob didnt bleed it right, like me and the rest of the world.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:05 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light
Question Re: Dual caliper VS. Full Throttle hand brake setups?

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
you prob didnt bleed it right, like me and the rest of the world.
Seriously, I'm so sick of hearing that.

Everyone's bike I've tired with a single caliper setup has had that little half pump problem.

So if it is a bleeding problem, well, then no one I have ever met has been able to solve it. With that said, I'll move to that setup purely to ease the bleeding process.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:13 PM

powder46 is an unknown quantity at this point

uhhh...i never have to "pump" the hb after using the foot brake?!
i use a gp tech kit. I used a vacuume bleeder and it is solid.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:18 PM
J Blox

frayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura about

yea..dual caliper is the way to go if ur learnin cuz i knocked my hb master when i dropped it the other day and got air in the hb line..still rockin footbrake.

only one really doin it big on the dual caliper would be my boy hoheydesigns.com wut wut
Old 05-26-2007, 07:30 PM

Scott- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by inolen
Seriously, I'm so sick of hearing that.

Everyone's bike I've tired with a single caliper setup has had that little half pump problem.

So if it is a bleeding problem, well, then no one I have ever met has been able to solve it. With that said, I'll move to that setup purely to ease the bleeding process.
+1 MY FULLTHROTTLE SETUP HAD THE SAME PROB IM SICK OF HEARING THAT **** TO **** SINGLE CALIPER HANDBRAKE SETUPS WHAT INOLEN? YOUR GOING TO LOVE THE DUAL CALIPER SETUP
Old 05-26-2007, 07:31 PM

Now with this all said, come on hohey, hook it up with a dual caliper bracket

Quick Reply: Dual caliper VS. Full Throttle hand brake setups?