E RacK can only hope to improve
Re: Become a Stunt Performer in the Film Industry

Originally Posted by girlstunt
Here's a link to check out www.getintostunts.com

why don't you tell us how your really feel
Old 05-16-2007, 02:12 PM

girlstunt is a decent person

Sorry, guys - first ever post on a forum. Don't know how to do this yet. Here's some (hopefully) useful info from an article, at least:

BECOMING A STUNT PERFORMER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

What’s the best way to start in stunts?
If you want to become a stuntman or stuntwoman, one of the easiest and quickest ways to get going is to become a background performer (an Extra), and then you can see how a film set works, how the actors do their thing, and especially how the stuntmen and stuntwomen operate (if there is a stunt being performed the day that you’re working). Being an Extra will also enable you to see (note: I didn’t say meet) the stunt coordinator, and get an idea how he/she does things. Every stunt coordinator has their own unique way on set, and it’s good to get to know their way first, before attempting to meet them.

When can I go from being an extra to being a stunt performer?
When you have been training for a while (see training question below), and you have been on numerous film sets working as an Extra, and you have introduced yourself politely (with headshot and resume) to a few stunt coordinators, then you will probably get upgraded to an SAE position (Special Ability Extra) at some point. A stunt coordinator will hire you for your unique skill (unicycle riding, gymnastics, etc.) or sometimes they need you just to ride by on a bicycle, which isn’t exactly a stunt, but it doesn’t fall into the general Extra category either. So you get a day working as an SAE performer (it pays more than being a general Extra, but most importantly, it gets you working for the Stunt Coordinator for the first time). After a few SAE days for this Stunt Coordinator (ie: build up trust), they will probably give you a shot at your first real stunt.

What kind of stunt training do I need to be a stuntman / stuntwoman?
There are 4 skills that are considered essential to begin your quest into the stunt industry: 1. gymnastics (or trampoline or high diving) 2. martial arts (or stage combat training) 3. motorcycle riding / racing (and/or car racing)
4. people skills
Of course, the more skills you have in your arsenal and in your resume, the better – such as horses, rock climbing, scuba diving, white water, parachuting, rollerblading, skiing, etc. Also, get as many licenses as possible: street bike, advanced driving courses, first aid tickets, skydiving certificates, etc… And yes, it does make an impact if you’re already a champion at some sport (show it off – it proves that you can handle a high level of competition and are competent under pressure! This is not necessary to become a stunt performer, though.)

“I’m an awesome motorcycle stunter”, or “I can do car stunts”, or “I won the World Championships in my martial art”, so shouldn’t it be natural for me to be a stunt performer?
No, you need to be an all-rounder to have a stunt career. And it doesn’t make a difference how great you are at motorcycle stunts, or if you’re an Olympic gymnast or not – what matters is how great your “total package” is, and how good you are with people, too.

Are there stunt schools out there?
Yes, there are many. Some are stunt driving schools, some are aerial stunt schools, and some are just plain stunt training schools. Check into this VERY carefully, as there are a lot of fly-by-nights out there, too.

What kind of stunt equipment do I need?
At the very least, as a budding stunt person, you should get some small elbow and knee pads (usually you can find these at sports consignment shops, in the youth section – don’t forget to get as small as possible, but still protective, because you’ll be fitting these under your wardrobe on set, and you can’t have them showing). Also, for stunt padding, you should grab a set of padded shorts (at bike shops or martial arts stores), and a back protector (also at motorcycle shops). Later on, you’ll build up your stunt equipment for different gags like gel for fire stunts, and helmets for driving stunts, and gymnastics mats and weapons, etc. But start with the basics – you don’t need to spend much to get going in the stunt business.

Are stunt wages pretty good? Will I make a lot of money?
Of course this depends on your commitment, your location, and your years in the stunt business, etc. but in general, yes – stunt pay is great. An established stunt professional will make in the six figures, and can sometimes make $10,000 per day even. But there are also a lot of struggling stunt performers out there, who have to hold down a “normal” job and do stunts on the side, in order to supplement the dry times. Some make huge money the first year they try, and others try for decades just trying to make it. Depends how much you want it.

Can I become a stunt coordinator right away?
No, not usually. Most stunt coordinators have put in years as a stunt performer first, and have garnered the respect and trust of their fellow stunt community and the various stunt teams, before they are given their first stunt coordinating job. But it is a natural progression to become a stunt coordinator after being a stunt man or stunt woman for a while, if one so chooses. Then you can go on to become a 2nd unit Director, as well (in charge of the Stunt Coordinator and all the stunt action on a separate unit).

It’s all so overwhelming. Where do I really start?
Read every little bit of information out there on the subject first. Become prepared first, don’t just leap in there. Don’t bug the stuntmen or stunt coordinators – they hear from newbies every day about how great they are. Impress them by going in with knowledge and background. Hope some of this helps! Believe me – I’ve been there – it’s a daunting task trying to embark on a stunt career choice, and every little bit of info is great. Good luck – see ya’ in the movies!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:28 PM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

These guys are stunt performers, they already got into it, and know how.

That's the fun part of irony.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

Did you guys know you could get little knee and elbow pads though? To fit under your clothes?

What will they think of next? Maybe a helmet to fit under your hair...

The elbow and knee pad information alone should be worth the price of admission.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:33 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

I've been in an extra in several movies. Is it my time to shine yet?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:34 PM

You were shining when you got here. aw.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:35 PM

Trachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant future

holy crap!! getting my degree was such a waste of time. come on everybody, let's all go be stuntmen RIGHT NOW and make a ton of money... RIGHT NOW!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:36 PM

Trachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nags
I've been in an extra in several movies.
wow, that means u make a 6 figure salary!!!! ur so lucky!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:38 PM

dizzie56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by girlstunt
Sorry, guys - first ever post on a forum. Don't know how to do this yet. Here's some (hopefully) useful info from an article, at least:
The sad thing is that i think that she is really serious . Where are the boobies at? Let the puppies free damnit.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:59 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Found her

Old 05-16-2007, 03:13 PM

mikemm5 is a decent person

never mind....don't show those *******....HAVE SOME DAMNED DECENCY
Old 05-16-2007, 03:13 PM

mikemm5 is a decent person

actually changed my mind again.....show em. yeah LET EM BREATHE :YEAH
Old 05-16-2007, 03:24 PM
ROSS

$ROSS$ is a decent person

First post :YEAH
Old 05-16-2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by nags
Found her

is that really a her?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 PM

I don't kniow but the more I look at the photo the more I want to Get into Stunts.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:54 PM

Mr.Gix is a jewel in the roughMr.Gix is a jewel in the roughMr.Gix is a jewel in the roughMr.Gix is a jewel in the rough

If that's her it looks like she has been stunted a bit much.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Gix
If that's her it looks like she has been stunted a bit much.
since when has been being beat by the ugly stick considered stunting? if thats tru, i know some bitches that should be millionaires
Old 05-16-2007, 04:44 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

808stunna is an unknown quantity at this point

i'll do anythign if im horny
Old 05-16-2007, 05:05 PM

DEBO is a decent person

Looks like she has been around the block in the stunt film industry
Old 05-16-2007, 05:24 PM

-GoBLIN- is a decent person