929 charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:44 PM

cstrmike929 is a decent person
929 charging problem

I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but I need help. About 9 mos. ago, I had to replace my stator. Not because it went bad, the bike went down and it got mangled. So I replace it with a non oem stator, Assuming it wouldn't really matter. Although now I'm having second thoughts. It charged and ran like normal all the way up until about a week ago. So Nine or so months go by, i assume the stator is fine. So i grab the battery out or the F4i, and it kills it in about 20 mins. Runs it down to where the bike is just barley running. So now I know it's not the batteries fault. I look at the wires coming from the stator, they look good. I buy this time a (oem) piece, voltage regulator. Put it in, and still having same problems. No matter what battery I put in, it kills it. FAST!! If i run the bike hard and keep the RPM's high it will charge the battery temporarily. I don't what the deal is?. I hope somebody know's something I don't, So please help someone. I don't want to keep buying parts that are not going to fix it. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 PM

FreezeSBFreaks is a decent person
Re: 929 charging problem

What's the voltage at the stators output when you are at idle?
Old 05-14-2007, 04:20 PM

john3/1 is an unknown quantity at this point

did you check the spark plugs, they might not be firing as well as they should be
Old 05-14-2007, 05:48 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, you need to check the voltage at 5k rpms. there are 3 yellow wires coming out of the stator. take a voltmeter and put it on ac volts up to 200 or something. now connect between any 2 of those yellow wires and the bike at 5k rpms and it should be 60-80 volts. if not then it's not putting out enough voltage and the stator is bad. also, check your battery, if you are getting no charge at the battery probably the stator, if you are gettin like 19 volts dc at your battery then your rectifier is bad.

also, here's the bad news, if you waste your stator, sometimes that bends the crank causing the flywheel to spin untrue and not charging.

also, you should check the ground on each of those 3 yellow wires. take that plug off, then put the multimeter in Ohms and put the ground on the motor, and the positive on one of those yellow wires. there should be a 0 reading, then check the next one, then finally the 3rd one. if any of those have a reading higher than 0 then your stator is grounding itself out to the motor, which will cause no power and burn up a stator.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by binder929rr
ok, you need to check the voltage at 5k rpms. there are 3 yellow wires coming out of the stator. take a voltmeter and put it on ac volts up to 200 or something. now connect between any 2 of those yellow wires and the bike at 5k rpms and it should be 60-80 volts. if not then it's not putting out enough voltage and the stator is bad. also, check your battery, if you are getting no charge at the battery probably the stator, if you are gettin like 19 volts dc at your battery then your rectifier is bad.

also, here's the bad news, if you waste your stator, sometimes that bends the crank causing the flywheel to spin untrue and not charging.

also, you should check the ground on each of those 3 yellow wires. take that plug off, then put the multimeter in Ohms and put the ground on the motor, and the positive on one of those yellow wires. there should be a 0 reading, then check the next one, then finally the 3rd one. if any of those have a reading higher than 0 then your stator is grounding itself out to the motor, which will cause no power and burn up a stator.
Thanks for the info, i found my meter reader last night. I will check the wires to see if they are reading the right ohms. I got a feeling it's the aftermarket stator. because the bike ran fine for almost a yr., after i replaced the stator.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:15 PM

also, i meant to ask. Besides the stator, rectifier, and battery, there isn't any other component left that would need checked. Right?.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:48 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

not for a charging issue like that. those are your main parts.

probably is the aftermarket. make sure you don't get a "race" stator....those put out less voltage to save engine drag and because the bikes don't run headlights, fans, etc so they don't require as much pull.

a lot of aftermarket stators are junk and fail soon.