Title question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:31 PM

nyRocketkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Title question?

I see people all the time that just want to buy a clean title & no frame. How does this work? Do they just take the vin numbers off the bike, and register the bike as the titled bike? Can they get in trouble for having a bike with no vin numbers? Not really sure how this works, but I see it all the time.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:33 PM
www.TheXtremeShow.com

FrankieG is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Title question?

NO VIN = Felony in most states!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

some people stamp numbers, some people just take the risk
Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

You can buy a blank frame from Honda and have it stamped, but you have to take all your paperwork to your State Patrol so they will give you the OK. After that they'll send you to a certified stamper, but you have to have the B.O.S. for the blank frame and the title for the old frame. You won't get a clean title though, you'll get a rebuilt title.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:50 PM

JoeR1 is an unknown quantity at this point

In CT I think you have to have the neck with the VIN's and a Title before a dealer will even order a replacement and stamp it.

But yes, some people buy the clean title only for the VIN's and build a bike from there. Some of the Chopper guys are buying new Harley's and cutting the neck for the VIN's to build a custom...
Old 04-25-2007, 01:55 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FrankieG
NO VIN = Felony in most states!
+1 I just bought a abandoned 636 with no title. Had the cops run the VIN and its not stolen so I'm just gonna get it insured and rock it anyway
Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 PM

Hobie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr. Farley
You can buy a blank frame from Honda and have it stamped, but you have to take all your paperwork to your State Patrol so they will give you the OK. After that they'll send you to a certified stamper, but you have to have the B.O.S. for the blank frame and the title for the old frame. You won't get a clean title though, you'll get a rebuilt title.
Here in Texas the Honda dealers are pretty strict about that. They want your wadded up frame with VINs and proof of ownership before they well sell you a blank, or at least they did about 7 years ago. Here a bill of sale doesn't mean much, you have to have the MSO (Manufacturer's statement of origin, all new vehicle dealers are given these from the manufacturer when they sell a vehicle, that state issues the title) that Honda sent with the blank frame.

I've seen quite a few titles on eBay sell for hundreds of dollars. They used to be ALL over 2wf back in the day before ebay was popular. Blank frames aren't cheap either. Depending on make and model they are all over 1K and as high as 3K+. The only people I see paying $800 for a piece of paper and well over $1K for a frame are either really stupid or doing something very illegal. Just my opinion. I'm not saying they are thieves, I don't really know, but it seems like a REALLY expensive way to build a bike. Here in Texas they won't even get a blank unless they turn in the old frame/neck. So they would have to be getting a frame/neck from somewhere OR just doing some stamping of their own.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 PM
N/A

Originally Posted by Hobie
Here in Texas the Honda dealers are pretty strict about that. They want your wadded up frame with VINs and proof of ownership before they well sell you a blank, or at least they did about 7 years ago. Here a bill of sale doesn't mean much, you have to have the MSO (Manufacturer's statement of origin, all new vehicle dealers are given these from the manufacturer when they sell a vehicle, that state issues the title) that Honda sent with the blank frame.

I've seen quite a few titles on eBay sell for hundreds of dollars. They used to be ALL over 2wf back in the day before ebay was popular. Blank frames aren't cheap either. Depending on make and model they are all over 1K and as high as 3K+. The only people I see paying $800 for a piece of paper and well over $1K for a frame are either really stupid or doing something very illegal. Just my opinion. I'm not saying they are thieves, I don't really know, but it seems like a REALLY expensive way to build a bike. Here in Texas they won't even get a blank unless they turn in the old frame/neck. So they would have to be getting a frame/neck from somewhere OR just doing some stamping of their own.
I've only had one friend buy a blank frames but he said he was going to build 2 track bikes that will never be registered. He received the frames, but never registered them... even though he did have a clean title and they never asked any questions. I suppose he could have got them registered b/c all he had was the MSO and BOS.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:15 PM

Dave5point0 is an unknown quantity at this point

On this topic, i have a straight 03-04 gixxer 1k frame with no numbers on it, need a title so i can get plates for it and rock it on the street. Switching the plate off my other gixxer back and forth is getting annoying! The bike is in no way stolen, just the numbers got phucked up during polishing. Anybody that totaled their bike and threw it away but still got the title let me know.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:17 PM

Hobie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr. Farley
I've only had one friend buy a blank frames but he said he was going to build 2 track bikes that will never be registered. He received the frames, but never registered them... even though he did have a clean title and they never asked any questions. I suppose he could have got them registered b/c all he had was the MSO and BOS.
Yeah, the laws vary from state to state. I've always assumed that people buying titles only for several hundred dollars were just stamping stolen bikes.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:29 PM
N/A

Originally Posted by Hobie
Yeah, the laws vary from state to state. I've always assumed that people buying titles only for several hundred dollars were just stamping stolen bikes.
He did build 2 track bikes, and it was legit... but I think he could have taken his clean title and had it stamped b/c they honestly didn't ask any questions. He bought the frames here in Denver at Fay Meyers I think he spent around $900 a frame. It was in 2001 when F4i was the craze for a track bike, everyone was buying them and he built 2 so when he wrecked he had another one ready to go. His family is f'in loaded, he put together these bikes in about 3-4 months and was ready for the season. But after he retired one track bike, I bet he could have taken it and had the title from his street F4i transfered... he wadded that up on the twisties going up Dry Creek Canyon up here in CO.