A burnt smell coming from my engine...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 04:35 PM

wspol00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A burnt smell coming from my engine...

First off i want to say this is a really cool website!!

I am fairly new to stunting but i am practicing stand ups a lot. I do get close to 12 oclock wheelies but not quite there yet(not dragging the back yet!!) i have a 2000 zx-6r, and once after riding a stand-up i smelled this burning type of smell(like burned engine.??) i have no clue what it was but when i got off the bike and tried to smell where it was coming from, it seemed it was coming from the engine. Anyone else ever experience something like that? I do have plenty of oil, but was wondering if it is possible that when i was riding the stand-up all the oil went to the bottom of the oil pan??and there was no oil to lubricate the cylinders?? I am totally confused and don't know what that f^ck it was. if anyone knows or has imput i would appreciated it.
thanks,

ws
Old 05-14-2003, 04:51 PM

hayez is an unknown quantity at this point
were you clutching it up?maybe you burnt your clutch up a bit
Old 05-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Guru

Joe Brown is an unknown quantity at this point
burnt smell

if it smells like burnt plastic the zx6 has a problem with the plug from the stator follow the wires comming from the stator and when you find the plug they melt sometime check it out
Old 05-14-2003, 07:26 PM

Insane02GIXXER is an unknown quantity at this point
If it is a plastic smell it may be your rectifier. which is usually under your seat which can make it seem like its commin from your engine. There are so many different types os smells, plastic, oil, electric, you gotta narrow it down!
Old 05-15-2003, 11:50 AM

NCLR1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude, if I had to guess. I would say that it is your clutch. It's easy to check as well and not that expensive to replace. It stinks really bad when it is burning up. Disconnect your clutch, take off the clutch cover. Usually is your clutch is burning up their will be some a lot of friction plate wear and that will make "dust" build up inside there. If it is burnt. Order all new clutch plates, friction plates and a new gasket. Soak all the plates in some oil for at least 24 hours before you replace them. Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:43 PM

Division1 Ryan is an unknown quantity at this point
yah yah

I here a loud knockin noise in my engine everytime I rev it
2000 750 13700 miles
Old 05-15-2003, 03:04 PM

hayez is an unknown quantity at this point
it dont look like the guy really cares
Old 05-15-2003, 05:27 PM

Sorry guys, i was working all day and had a night class, and didn't have any chance to even go online.

What the smell seems to be is oil, but im not 100%sure. Is there anyway there could be "oil starvation" when the bike is in the air?? i mean i don't know what else to think. As soon as the weather gets a little warmer, i will try again and really concentrate on where the smell is coming from. This is the first time it happened. I would do a lot of wheelies and it never happened to me. Now this wheelie was the longest one that i have ever made, so my first thought was that there wasn't enough oil in the cilinders.(???) did anyone else know someone who has a 2000-2001 zx6r that they can ask?

once again thanks for all the help! i really appreciate it.

ws
Old 05-16-2003, 11:20 AM

Well, my opion only but you would have to ride one out pretty far to get oil starvation. I am talking at least 1-2 miles. Unless you are short on oil already. Just to make sure, I always overfill my oil every change. So, try that. Also, you might have a leak on your head gasket or when you do a "high" wheelie, oil might leak out of your airbox?
Old 05-17-2003, 10:32 AM

Cool thanks for the reply's. Im gonna try to add more oil and try to see if it happens again.

thanks,
Old 05-17-2003, 12:04 PM

Does your bike have an oil light? If so, does it ever come on? I don't know, this is stuntlife, your bike might be too crunchy and not have a speedo. Been there, done that.