636 handlebar help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:50 AM

needles_929 is an unknown quantity at this point
636 handlebar help

Just looking for a little info on set up for my 636. I'm going to bars on it. anyone know how long I need the brake lines? I planned on doing the universal risers and 7/8 renthal ultra low bars. clutch and throttle cable look to be long enough?

any suggestions?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 AM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 636 handlebar help

get a dirtbike
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 AM

OneManArmy is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it sucks because you actually have to do it rather than just have someone tell you, but just measure the distance with string. It's the best way to do it so you have the right amount of slack and don't make it to short.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 287ridah
get a dirtbike
got some
Old 04-18-2007, 01:14 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by needles_929
got some
I was being sarcastic.
what year 636??
Just put the clips on top. You only need to raise the fork tubes 1/4-1/2 up i think. You can either put on top or put on top, flip and switch sides for that extra angle. For me, I really like'd just putting them on top, which made a huge difference compared to stock. Later i might put them back underneath.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:33 PM

brettdaman is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with 287. I have an 05 636 and I just fipped and switched. Everyone that rides it thinks it is so much better than their db bars anyway. No need to even change the lines.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:34 PM

Ridin Disorder is an unknown quantity at this point

what year 636? I have an 03, and I just put dirt bike bars on. I had to re-route the cables but everything was long enough. The front brake line I believe I used a 32"or 34" line (I forget which one I have but I know that I could have used one a little shorter so both of those should work), and for the hand brake I used a 48" line. The clutch cable I moved from the outside of the upper engine mount to the inside, and then made a holder for it to keep it from getting into the steering stop. The throttle cable I ran through where the intake is on the frame, I had to notch out the air box a little but other then that it worked mint.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:35 PM

Ridin Disorder is an unknown quantity at this point

what year 636? I have an 03, and I just put dirt bike bars on. I had to re-route the cables but everything was long enough. The front brake line I believe I used a 32"or 34" line (I forget which one I have but I know that I could have used one a little shorter so both of those should work), and for the hand brake I used a 48" line. The clutch cable I moved from the outside of the upper engine mount to the inside, and then made a holder for it to keep it from getting into the steering stop. The throttle cable I ran through where the intake is on the frame, I had to notch out the air box a little but other then that it worked mint. And for the brake lines I used 90 degree fittings up at the masters so they would go towards the center of the front end and be hidden behind my headlight.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:42 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by Ridin Disorder
The throttle cable I ran through where the intake is on the frame, I had to notch out the air box a little but other then that it worked mint.
You ran them through the frame air hole?? They dont bind?? I hate the design of the 2003-2004 models, freaking right between the fork tube and frame . If you crash wrong they get pinched and **** your cables up. But if this does happen I hear you can cut the cable shield and twist the cables straight again.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:22 PM

SliverR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brettdaman
I agree with 287. I have an 05 636 and I just fipped and switched. Everyone that rides it thinks it is so much better than their db bars anyway. No need to even change the lines.
Did you go on top too? Or just flipped.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:30 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

i have an 06 636 and i just flipped the stocks and its ****** beautiful, i ran bars on my gix and it was pretty good but flipped stock clip ons is wayyy better. looks better feels better.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:32 PM

OneManArmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Clip ons on top is garbage. Say good by to stoppies.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:38 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Clip ons on top is garbage. Say good by to stoppies.
most ppl flip the tripple to put the clip ons on top so you dont have to lower your bike to fit them on which avoids the negative effect on the stoppies. i personally dont find a need to put em on top just flipped works great.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 PM

I thought of flipping the clip ons over the triple but the reason i'm going to bars is the room for your controls and I had them on my 929. The cops around here really want to see me put turn signals back on my bike to ride to work and even with my f.i. clip ons all the way out I don't have enough room for the turn signal switch, hand brake, clutch, and brake bottle.

can anyone post some pics of the clip on over triple or upside down triple set up??
Old 04-18-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ridin Disorder
what year 636? I have an 03, and I just put dirt bike bars on. I had to re-route the cables but everything was long enough. The front brake line I believe I used a 32"or 34" line (I forget which one I have but I know that I could have used one a little shorter so both of those should work), and for the hand brake I used a 48" line. The clutch cable I moved from the outside of the upper engine mount to the inside, and then made a holder for it to keep it from getting into the steering stop. The throttle cable I ran through where the intake is on the frame, I had to notch out the air box a little but other then that it worked mint. And for the brake lines I used 90 degree fittings up at the masters so they would go towards the center of the front end and be hidden behind my headlight.
can you post a pic of the front brake line fittings.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

just tie the left controls to your front stay, or something similiar.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:10 PM

I thought of flipping the clip ons over the triple but the reason i'm going to bars is the room for your controls and I had them on my 929. The cops around here really want to see me put turn signals back on my bike to ride to work and even with my f.i. clip ons all the way out I don't have enough room for the turn signal switch, hand brake, clutch, and brake bottle.

can anyone post some pics of the clip on over triple or upside down triple set up??
damn man you got some issues, my turn signal switch clutch and hb fit on my stock levers no mods needed. if you cant even fit your **** on FI clips ons youre doing something wrong.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
damn man you got some issues, my turn signal switch clutch and hb fit on my stock levers no mods needed. if you cant even fit your **** on FI clips ons youre doing something wrong.
what set up you running for clutch lever and handbrake? I have a msr raptor lever on the inside of a cbr1000 radial for the hb. I'll post up a pic when i get home tonight
Old 04-18-2007, 09:04 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

636 clip ons flipped feel like db bars
Old 04-18-2007, 09:37 PM

what set up you running for clutch lever and handbrake? I have a msr raptor lever on the inside of a cbr1000 radial for the hb. I'll post up a pic when i get home tonight
got a moose clutch and 1000rr clutch mc

Quick Reply: 636 handlebar help