XDL thread........

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:51 PM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: XDL thread........

i cud give less of a **** about crowds...im just sick of seeing people win who shouldnt....or atleast not at that particular time.......ie) aaron colons videos are far better then any of his runs i saw at xdl......stop making it a race to fill a checklist like u said an just let them ride.......also it ***** with the riders....ever seen a rider absolutely kill it at a spot, then go to a comp u watch there run, and go wat happened...even if they didnt **** up...it just doesnt look like themselves......your crippling the sport in an attempt to make it better.....i wud jsut get rid of freestyle comps all together and stick to shows, we all know who the best riders are, and shows bring the crowds in.....but longest coaster stoppie, sickest trick etc are all still good in my view
Old 04-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

i'm pretty sure the time issue has been addressed...3 minutes is too short, 4 is much better.

with ample space and time, completing the 'checklist' isnt that difficult and the runs flow much better, as you are referring to valeska. still, many riders have a hard time doing different tricks for even 3 minutes. no one wants to see slow cirlces for an entire run...you gotta be able to hit and hit it good on the first try.

jesse looks ten times better with the hb and new bike!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by SICmestizoRider
that would defeat the purpose of a comp. a comp isnt about ONLY wheelies or endos or burnouts or acro. XDL is about havin an ALL AROUND game. not to mention, MOST people dont pay attention to detail or dont know how hard some tricks are. the criteria is givin to EVERY rider. if they dont agree to it, then dont compete. COMPETITIONS ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE. cough*BULLO*cough

look at it this way, take the sickest trick. do you HONESTLY think Josh Clems back flip from a watch tower was better then AC's 180 endo bunny hop???

and thats why "the people" arent the judges......................
no i dont and ull notice they split it cause one appealed to the crowd and one appealed to the riders.....idiot they had the best of both worlds
Old 04-19-2007, 08:57 PM

SIC J is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Valeska
I agree with your point Z... but I don't think the entire overhall of the judging system would be necessary. I have an extremely simple solution actually, and an absolutely painless one from what I can understand.. I in discussion with some other riders also felt that there being 3 minutes to execute 20 tricks leaves very little room for the freestyle aspect of it-- it's almost more of a checklist race IMO. Add just ONE more minute to the available run time, and they can relax, pull off all their tricks with finesse & personal style, set up for some more difficult or time consuming feats, and all in all put on more of a visually appealing demonstration of both ability & style that would surely be more appreciated by the crowd & cameras! As in StuntWars etc, the entire 4 minutes need not be used, if a rider feels his run was sufficient in less time then more power to him, and if so maybe even have that garnering him an additional point in execution, etc?

I saw too many of the guys scrambling to knock out a laundry list of tricks & end up riding in far worse style than usual, and the crowd appeal & style element suffered for it. People in the crowds don't always understand the difficulty or technical aspect of it, and so the superfast scrambles just end up becoming a blur to them, and many of the crowd/camera appealing special signature tricks some of these boys have get dropped off the repertoire for sake of compromising points potential. Those tricks are the things the crowd comes to see most-- like the wrecks & maneuver highlights of Nascar for example.
Yes, there are absolutely riders who rise to the challenge & pull it all off. And they win, & earned it! But if we don't try to appeal to the crowds just a bit more, we don't fill the stands, we don't get event sponsors, we don't have high quality events, and we don't break through into as highly regarded a sport as we are striving for it to be.
i see your point but totally disagree. 4 mins is waaaay too long. especially if theres 50 competitors. i got bored as hell at stunt wars watchin people who shouldnt have been there waste 4 mins of my life.

3 mins gives you enough time to do 20 variations. it keeps the riders from wastin time turnin around and not doin anything. ITS A COMPETITION, THERES SUPPOSED TO BE PRESSURE ON YOU. instead of just turnin around, how about doin a burnout or 180 endo or a circle?

and a side note, almost every rider has 20 tricks written down, they just forget their run, get nervous and mess up so they cant go into the next trick or sometimes just cant handle the pressure. but thats what seperates the BEST FROM GOOD RIDERS.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Z-UNIT
no i dont and ull notice they split it cause one appealed to the crowd and one appealed to the riders.....idiot they had the best of both worlds

yea cuz there was just as many stunters there as the crowd huh? dumbass

and the crowd DID cheer louder for Josh
Old 04-19-2007, 10:05 PM

yea cuz there was just as many stunters there as the crowd huh? dumbass

and the crowd DID cheer louder for Josh
yes which is wat i said let me spell this out for you...apperently u read faster then u wheelie and can comprehend

josh backflip from watchtower...made the crowd happy, riders eh

ac 180 bunny hop stoppie..made crowd eh, riders thot it was sick

so in order to keep the crowd the supporters of this sport happy and not **** the riders off....they split the prize between the 2 riders....it was the best of both worlds, and best way to handle the situation....would u like a picture with diagrams and charts....or did this cut it?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Give me the wheelie gypsy

FiSh is a decent person

instead of bitching go ride, then you will make the LCQ
Old 04-20-2007, 01:16 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

**** comps just ride this **** of a sport is not going anywhere anytime soon.

maybe by the time colton is washed up you might see it in x-games
Old 04-20-2007, 01:39 AM
Squid Extradoinaire

Vetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by suicidl
**** comps just ride this **** of a sport is not going anywhere anytime soon.

maybe by the time colton is washed up you might see it in x-games

but sooooooooooo true. free rides are where its at.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:05 AM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

> :YEAH <
Old 04-20-2007, 03:03 AM

Sara Lashea will become famous soon enough

yes which is wat i said let me spell this out for you...apperently u read faster then u wheelie and can comprehend

so in order to keep the crowd the supporters of this sport happy and not **** the riders off....they split the prize between the 2 riders....it was the best of both worlds, and best way to handle the situation....would u like a picture with diagrams and charts....or did this cut it?
haha
Old 04-20-2007, 03:29 AM
Wheelie Ninja!

Kaneone is a decent person

i hate to be the one that says it..

BUT.. competitions of any freestyle events always = politics + drama..

big deal, it is what it is... there will never be a way to make it fool proof so arguing about it, is pointless.

with that said.. 4 min comp runs are waaaay to long.. i say 90 seconds..

and about that watchtower backflip.. only reason a rider would say "eh" to it and not give it props is cause they are being bitches, and haters.. straight up not many people can or would ever even try that so to knock it just straight hater stuff!!

-kane

-kane
Old 04-20-2007, 04:25 AM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kaneone
and about that watchtower backflip.. only reason a rider would say "eh" to it and not give it props is cause they are being bitches, and haters.. straight up not many people can or would ever even try that so to knock it just straight hater stuff!!
Yup, that trick is sick as ****.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:57 AM

Nick Apex is a decent person

Here is a thought for everyone that thinks 20 tricks is too hard to do in 3 minuets. In 4 passes here you have it

1: Clutch up a sitdown, Jump to frog, jump to spreader, tuck to 5050, then to HC.

2: HC endo into HC burnout, tuck out and go to a SS burnout, back to the pegs and take a hand off, go left circle, and then into right circle

3: take off and endo hold it, spreader hold it, 1 handed hold it

4: when you turn around jump to a side skitch, spin around and grab the bar, jump on and goose it for speed then elevator, acid drop, and spinderella, back to the seat and do a 180 endo.

Now you're free to **** around. Is 20 tricks too much, sure, but everyone should be able to duplicate that list there without a drop that considers themselves professional. By saying that I'm not talking about today, but if you decide that to be your run and you're a "pro" none of that should be an order too tall. Just so you know, that would give you fuckall for difficulty points though, haha.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:40 AM

COOP 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

ITS A COMPETITION, THERES SUPPOSED TO BE PRESSURE ON YOU, thats what seperates the BEST FROM GOOD RIDERS.
YEP
Old 04-20-2007, 11:35 AM

so youre sayin in every comp you should just split the prize?? cuz the crowd and the riders ALWAYS think different on who whould win. THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE. you should PM Thomas and tell him to get on that right away!!!!

and in case you didnt read the memo being as smart as you are, sickest trick is for the FANS/CROWD to decide. thats the whole point of it. TO GET THE CROWD INVOLVED.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Valeska is a decent person

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
Here is a thought for everyone that thinks 20 tricks is too hard to do in 3 minuets. In 4 passes here you have it......
Please everyone re-read my post (sorry I know it was a little long) especially the last half. I wasn't saying they needed 4 minutes to do the 20 tricks, just that the optional extra minute being available would allow them to put on more of a crowd & camera appealing show as well as express some greater individual style & demonstrate personal creativity if they so choose to use it. For the sake of crowd appeal, which we must remember is the thing we rely on most to get this fledgling sport off the ground and where we want it to go. I think it's a reasonable compromise.

I also said there most certainly is riders who do & can pull off the 20 tricks, and those 3 or 4 tended to be the winners, & they earned it. So it wasn't so much about enabling more to potentially win, as it is about filling the stands-- the sole purpose of it being a free event to spectators this year, as Randy himself said.

Let's do the math-- 1 extra minute in FINAL runs x 10 riders = 10 minute longer event but much more interesting one.

Personally I would like the riders to be able to utilize that minute in their qual run too just to show that little extra something but more importantly to be able to flow & ride more like they usually do, so that would be 1 extra minute x 20 riders = 20 minutes.

So 30 extra minutes max added to the event time..

Or for those of you who say its a comp and there SHOULD be extreme time pressure (although that makes it more of a RACE, imo) then allow 4 min for qual run, but crank it up a notch in difficulty and make the FINAL run 3 minutes to really sift out the best of the best.

Either way, I think most riders AND spectators would enjoy the event much much more, with such a very little adjustment. & I think the rewards of that would help every aspect of the comp scene.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:52 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

so youre sayin in every comp you should just split the prize?? cuz the crowd and the riders ALWAYS think different on who whould win. THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE. you should PM Thomas and tell him to get on that right away!!!!

and in case you didnt read the memo being as smart as you are, sickest trick is for the FANS/CROWD to decide. thats the whole point of it. TO GET THE CROWD INVOLVED.
Where did he say they should always do that? Both people received pretty equal amounts of cheers from the crowd and the two guys decided to split the prize, it was a nice compromise. The crowd got involved, and yet both riders still walked away happy. Stop it with all the GRRR BAR TRICKS ARE OLD AND SO EASY I CANT EVEN DO THEM rage.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:34 PM

^^ he needs a diagram to fully understand it....its pointless..
Old 04-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Wheelie Ninja!

Kaneone is a decent person

i think more comps should be like the XSBA style invite only were at least each rider makes the same $, has less stress, and the promoters know what they are getting...

i think the only real problem that i saw with XDL this past weekend, was the it was similar to Motorcycle Mayhem 06 in that it bombarded the crowd with non stop motorcycle stunting for IMO a way to long period of time, and in return because of that.. by the time of the final finals.. the crowd was tired, beat, bored, and a lot smaller than was earlier in the day.
bottom line, without entertainment value, and spectators in the doors we are all wasting our time.

its the same mentality like apex bitching about stunt videos and the overwhelming flooded market of non production value crap out there. making it hard for the videos with that extra something to stand out initially. same thing.

theres a lot of wasted time at these comps...

XSBA whole comp takes what 2 hours?
thats plenty of time. and we were only given what 2 minute runs?

i hate to kick a dead horse (not really, im pretty good at it actually) but in comparison to say... XGAMES where a rider is given 90 seconds. 3 minute runs are painfully boring to watch from a crowds perspective..
hell even as a rider i dont bother to watch most peoples runs, I watch teach, colton, darius, and clem... thats about it..

we live in america, the land of short attention spans. we should cater to it

-kane

Quick Reply: XDL thread........