Karate roll when crashing stoppies

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:24 PM

nnrider is a decent person
Re: Karate roll when crashing stoppies

Originally Posted by cpohoski
I have crashed twice in about 20,000 attempts doing stoppies. The first nothing happened. The second one I broke my thumb. I think I want to learn to roll when I fall so I dont break/sprain wrists. What do u guys do who rock sik rollers 300+? Cause I know I'm going to crash more its inevitable to get that kinda feel on the bp. If u guys do this how did you learn? I was thinking do a handstand on the top of a park bench and trying to roll off of that first. Any ideas?
dude you have got to tape this and post it!!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 PM

1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about

Everytime I flip it happened so fast I couldn't think about it.. If I had time to think and try to do a damn handstand to land correctly I think I prolly would have enough time to work on saving it..
Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Italian Magic is a decent person

I've seen some video with a guy flippin a slow endo,
and he had time to literally "kick" on the footpegs to launch himself off the bike.
that helped slowing the bike from falling.
but this's got to be a 1/100 chance.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

E RacK can only hope to improve

ninja kick.. aka tuck n roll.. aka, duck, aka, get the hell out the way!.. aka ABANDON SHIP!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Valeska is a decent person

I can't imagine what it is like to be in the seat & have it start to flip.. I've only been on the other end of it... doing this trick, but with Steve at the Metric Revolution show at Bike Week..
With Conway my *** scrapes the ground (as pictured), but with Steve's previous suspension setup the bike pogo'd too much and so I never touched down with him.
So when I felt my *** hit asphalt.. then my back.. then heard Steve curse & watched him bail off the bike... I knew the thing I had pretty much feared most was happening, right then.
But at least from where I was, from the moment I knew what was happening, I absolutely had time to react, cuz a weird thing happened-- time seemed to go into slow motion but I could think & react normally, actually much faster than normal.
As soon as I got laid flat on my back and saw the bike coming down on top of me I tried to push off the headlight to get out from under it & off to the side but I was already pinned as it rolled up along my stomach & chest, so I just kicked as hard as I could on the side of the bike to try to get it to fall off to the side... and it did-- when it flipped over the body landed just next to my head & shoulder before bouncing off to the side.
I jumped up to check on Steve, who had landed square on his palms & wrists (still messed up but ok for the most part btw) but he was ok. Tried to jump right back on the bike as we were in front of a bleacher of spectators, but when steve pointed out that the entire subframe was pointing in an awful direction from the rest of the bike, I knew we were done.
Jagman (thank you for the gauze & alcohol pads!) inspected me & saw that all I had managed to sustain was a little rash on my back where the jacket came up (although I later felt killer soreness throughout my entire torso for a few the next few days), so yet again, I have managed to walk away with things coming out as absolutely best as they possibly could have in another flippie! Thank you again, my guardian angels or whatever there is!
Oh and btw, duct tape is an EXCELLENT bandage cover! Especially since I got skinned right where my pants waist rubs & where every chair or seat hits. The frictionlessness of it was nice & it never budged or bunched like normal bandage tape does.. So keep duct tape in your first aid kits people! lol

Last edited by Valeska; 04-05-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

E RacK can only hope to improve

+1 on the duct tape bandage!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:50 PM

Italian Magic is a decent person

Originally Posted by Valeska
all I had managed to sustain was a little rash on my back where the jacket came up

It's a small area, but looks quite a deep bruise. you've got more bruises than a war veteran, Valeska
Old 04-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Hate Hate Hate!

T-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really nice

THE 5 D's of Stoppies!
Dodge
Dip
Duck
Dive
Dodge!!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 PM

jakesfords is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by T-NECK
THE 5 D's of Stoppies!
Dodge
Dip
Duck
Dive
Dodge!!!!
hahahahahahahahahaha that was the best
Old 04-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Hell yeah!
And T-neck himself took a hella beating in that same spot too! Nasssty from what I heard, since I missed it myself. You get a pic of that rashed leg, T? Post it up! Wasn't a stoppie, but makes mine look like an antbite.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:50 PM

selbystunts is an unknown quantity at this point

ALL YOUR CRASHES ARE GOING TO BE DIFFERENT..... THERES NO REMEDY TO SAVE YOUR *** FROM ROAD RASH... HAHA ITS GONNA HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT, DEAL WITH IT!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Originally Posted by selby104
ALL YOUR CRASHES ARE GOING TO BE DIFFERENT..... THERES NO REMEDY TO SAVE YOUR *** FROM ROAD RASH... HAHA ITS GONNA HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT, DEAL WITH IT!
Um.. did, and do. I don't recall bitching one bit, in fact I am extremely pleased at how each of my rash incidents have happened & healed. I say every time how lucky I was, and I don't ever tend to complain. It comes with the territory, and I accepted that both before & after it happens. Never said anything otherwise, and so I'm not really seeing where you are coming from in your response...
Old 04-05-2007, 11:49 PM

ewalR1 is a decent person

I Flipped A Stoppie Once And I Still Dont Have Feeling In My Lower Back Yet. Kinda Sucks. I Guess Its Kinda Good For No Jacket Or Anything And I Was At The Top Side Of Third Gear When I Flipped. Then The Bike Landed On Me.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

AIEEEK! :shudder: Yeesh... I can't even imagine!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:21 AM

-GoBLIN- is a decent person

Almost two years ago ona the shops put the wrong pad and half assed it when the put it on my front break. I was just cruisin along about 60-70ish, and barley tapped my break, the pad got yanked halfway off and locked the tire somehow, causing an instant unintentional endo. None the less i ate ****, but my reaction wasnt put my hands out, it was cover my face (even with the helmet on) and i rolled out of it, and was running as soon as i could (semi behind me on the 78 east)

Anyways, i came out with a couple scratches and i was wearing a hoodie. pulled the seams out of the hoodies shoulders, and i had rash about the size of a quarter on my ankle...

So i can see where rolling out of something would help, but you dont have time to think it. it has to be instinct. So unless you practice breakfalls, and combat rolls day in and day out and make it a thoughtless habbit, i dont think its gonna work. Refer to everyone else.. espically the D's

Only good thing that came out of the whole thing besides a thrashed R-1 was 5,500 wortha parts free, and my R6 for 7500. Corperations hate threats of law suits...

And heres an off topic question... a cop saw... mech failure right? NO! I got a ticket and fine for ILLEGAL TURNING MANUVER... and he wouldnt call the paramedics... WTF?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:30 AM

ewalR1 is a decent person

Damn Thats F.ed Up
Old 04-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by cpohoski
How do you suggest breaking your fall? With your face?
tuck and roll!!!!!:YEAH
Old 04-06-2007, 01:39 AM

Insane J is an unknown quantity at this point

I always thought the best way was to NOT stretch your arms, just tuck them in, and try to roll ?

But I guess it's an automatic reaction when you stretch your arms...
Old 04-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Originally Posted by -Eri
And heres an off topic question... a cop saw... mech failure right? NO! I got a ticket and fine for ILLEGAL TURNING MANUVER... and he wouldnt call the paramedics... WTF?
W T F !!!! I HOPE you fought that!!
Old 04-06-2007, 02:01 AM

PAINTRIXX is a decent person

Originally Posted by Mr. Farley
When you are coming to the end of your stoppie and going kind of slow then yes, roll when you hit the ground. But if you are going like 50 and you grab a hand full of brake and go over, sorry... but there isn't much time to think and YES a 400 lb bike will do MAJOR damage to you so my suggestion is doing worry about tucking and rolling, worry about protecting yourself b/c a bike is going to be coming down on you shortly!
werd,saterday stock f4i front end=roll`n 300`,sunday new 929 front end=roll`n end over end.yep it sucked,broken feamur

Quick Reply: Karate roll when crashing stoppies