Clicking wheel bearings???? And they are brand new...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:40 PM

skinnyR! is a decent person
Clicking wheel bearings???? And they are brand new...

I got my wheels powdercoated and when I first mounted em up, the rear wheel was makin a clickin noise. Thinkin it was the bearings, I went ahead and just changed both the front and rear.

Now, the rear isn't clickin so much, but the front sure as hell is!

What causes this, and is there a remedy? Can I retaining compound the bearing into the wheel? Im thinkin the tolerance has been changed since the wheels were sand blasted before powdercoating.

Any help here appreciated, the clicking noise is annoying as hell and can't be safe...

Name:  f4i1.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  75.5 KB
Old 04-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderators

GSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Clicking wheel bearings???? And they are brand new...

Heres your solution, repaint those rims. Your bike feels insulted that you even painted them green. Paint them anyother color and your bike will treat you good in return.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by GSWITCH33
Heres your solution, repaint those rims. Your bike feels insulted that you even painted them green. Paint them anyother color and your bike will treat you good in return.
Thats very helpful, thanks.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderators

GSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of light

Hey, I try my best!

But anyways when I got my **** powder coated I had to go thru it all with the dremel tool and open up the tolerances just to get a bolt to go thru them. Did you tape them off?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by GSWITCH33
Hey, I try my best!

But anyways when I got my **** powder coated I had to go thru it all with the dremel tool and open up the tolerances just to get a bolt to go thru them. Did you tape them off?
Its not a threaded issue. The bearings are pressed in, and the races were taped off. The bearings slide right in, i am thinking that they were sandblasted to much and now there is too much tolerance.

But they are clicking very loudly once assembled on the bike, with a little weight on them.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Goodluckmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Do the bearings fit properly, or is the outer race slack???

If they're snug, then there's no problem. If not, use some bearing fit when you install them.

I also assume that when you installed the bearings, you used a big socket as a drift on the outer race.
If you hammered them in using the inner race, you'll have fucked the bearings, which may be where the clicking's coming from.

You normally wouldn't hear them clicking though, as bearings normally rumble instead.

If you've installed them properly, check it's not pads moving around or something else first.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Goodluckmonkey
Do the bearings fit properly, or is the outer race slack???

If they're snug, then there's no problem. If not, use some bearing fit when you install them.

I also assume that when you installed the bearings, you used a big socket as a drift on the outer race.
If you hammered them in using the inner race, you'll have fucked the bearings, which may be where the clicking's coming from.

You normally wouldn't hear them clicking though, as bearings normally rumble instead.

If you've installed them properly, check it's not pads moving around or something else first.
They aren't snug installed. But I did put them in properly, like you said.

I will try some retaining compound, im gonna have to take it apart again i suppose.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 PM

Alright, well I retaining compounded the bearings in tonight. They were a tiny bit sloppy in the wheel. Hopefully this resolves the problem.

Im gonna let it sit and cure overnight and try it out tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:04 PM

selbystunts is an unknown quantity at this point

those wheels would look sick on my bike... haha
Old 04-03-2007, 09:05 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

That is why I chemical strip all my parts for powder coating, and not sandblasting...Seen way too many ruined parts due to sandblasting areas that can not be blasted...
Old 04-03-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
That is why I chemical strip all my parts for powder coating, and not sandblasting...Seen way too many ruined parts due to sandblasting areas that can not be blasted...
I definetly think too much material was taken off where the bearing sits. I could make the bearing move a tiny bit by hand, and the bearings would almost slide in and out without a use of force.

Im sure when the weight of the bike was on it, it was causing the louder clicking noise that I was hearing. Hopefully the retaining compound will hold them into place.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 AM

Division1 Ryan is an unknown quantity at this point

did you try to take the bearing out and spin it with your hands? I had a new All ***** wheel bearin put in on fri. Rode for 2hrs on Sunday and it went bad. Heard a clickin and poppin, I could barely spin in in my hand. u could feel it binding up.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Division1 Ryan
did you try to take the bearing out and spin it with your hands? I had a new All ***** wheel bearin put in on fri. Rode for 2hrs on Sunday and it went bad. Heard a clickin and poppin, I could barely spin in in my hand. u could feel it binding up.
Dam, yours went bad that quick? I checked them each of the times I took them apart, and they were ok.

I bought all OEM stuff. Front and rear was almost $80. They are more expensive than the All ballz, but hopefully worth it.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:49 AM

DUCE is an unknown quantity at this point

Well The Bearings By No Means Should Have Slid Right In! Make Sure You Didnt Damage Them Pressing Them In. Did You Just Blast Off The Original Powdercoat , Or Did You Blast With Multiple Grits And Litteraly Damage Your Rim?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by DUCE
Well The Bearings By No Means Should Have Slid Right In! Make Sure You Didnt Damage Them Pressing Them In. Did You Just Blast Off The Original Powdercoat , Or Did You Blast With Multiple Grits And Litteraly Damage Your Rim?
The sandblasting was done by the powdercoaters before they were powdercoated. I had nothing to do with that part. But i do believe the sandblasting is what has been giving me problems.

Last edited by skinnyR!; 04-03-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:48 AM

Well, the normal retaining compound didn't work. They are still clicking.

Loctite makes a 660 retaining compound paste that I am going to try next. It is for filliing worn housing and bearing surfaces, hopefully that is the hot ticket.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:25 PM

crazy636stunter is a decent person

just buy a new rim bro! the sand blasting wore the races out. they prob. didnt tape it off.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:14 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

ya, i was reading this with tony ^ and that's a bad problem. you have to tape off the races when you sand blast otherwise it removes material from the races and the bearings won't press in correctly. if you are planning on getting new bearings i suggest leaving the old ones in the bike when you sandblast, then remove them for the powdercoating.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

your chain looks tight as ****. try ajusting it correctly with 1inch of play. and when ur sitting on the bike try and reach down with your weight on the seat to make sure your chain isn't pulled tight either,.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by binder929rr
ya, i was reading this with tony ^ and that's a bad problem. you have to tape off the races when you sand blast otherwise it removes material from the races and the bearings won't press in correctly. if you are planning on getting new bearings i suggest leaving the old ones in the bike when you sandblast, then remove them for the powdercoating.

Yeah, i agree.

Ive compounded them in with some other stuff, and have been letting it cure for a couple days now. If that doesn't work, im gonna have to get another rim.

Quick Reply: Clicking wheel bearings???? And they are brand new...