Anyone ever break clutch rod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:13 PM

f4istunna is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone ever break clutch rod?

Installed my new Hb yesterday and got everything fitted up levers etc :YEAH

Went for a little ride around the block to try everything out clutch was working good then just went to the bar w/ no effort and the bike jumped through the stop sign and rolled. (glad i was in a coaster or even worse a limiter coaster) i thought the cable snapped since its original from 01 lol. Got back to the garage found out the cable was still intact so assumed broke a clutch plate or something. Nope tore into it and found out the rod that engages the clutch was missing a chunk on the side of where the factory hole already is

Now i gotta drop the pan cause im sure theres metal in there drained the oil and got a few small peices but from whats missing gotta be a good peice in there.

Anyone else had this happen before? Ive never seen or heard of the rod itself breaking before. That would suck *** in a coaster

checked ron ayers its like $30.00 but will take a few weeks anyone have one by chance lol?? i wanna ride finally gave in and got a Hb now im down before i even get to try it
Old 03-24-2007, 02:34 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve
Re: Anyone ever break clutch rod?

never heard that before, but my cable used to come undone all the time, had to ride all the way back from seattle hittin stop lights n **** with no clutch
Old 03-24-2007, 02:45 PM

lol im glad i didnt have far to go

Id like to see a cable come undone or break on one of these squids in my town that roll around the mall or main streets w/ d&d's pull in clutch and bounce of the limiter

Hmmm. might have to do surgery to one of their cables while their in the mall then be sure to have vidoe cam on hand haha
Old 03-24-2007, 02:50 PM
life is good......BRAAAP!

-nelson will become famous soon enough

which bike is it for? The only things i can come up with for what your describing is possibly your clutch springs are overtightened ,or something along those lines . When you pull in your clutch ,the cable in turn pulls on the rod , which pulls on the clutch center basket and the springs expand opening up the friction and steel plates to engage the clutch. Now it seems that your plates or something in your basket is stuck or jammed enough to break the rod as the rod was trying to pull on the plates,springs. I would also pull out all of the plates and further inspect the basket. Tell me what year and model and I'll check with parts unlimited ,if they have it then I could probobly get it quicker than Ron Ayers I have an account with both.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:54 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by f4istunna
Installed my new Hb yesterday and got everything fitted up levers etc :YEAH

Went for a little ride around the block to try everything out clutch was working good then just went to the bar w/ no effort and the bike jumped through the stop sign and rolled. (glad i was in a coaster or even worse a limiter coaster) i thought the cable snapped since its original from 01 lol. Got back to the garage found out the cable was still intact so assumed broke a clutch plate or something. Nope tore into it and found out the rod that engages the clutch was missing a chunk on the side of where the factory hole already is

Now i gotta drop the pan cause im sure theres metal in there drained the oil and got a few small peices but from whats missing gotta be a good peice in there.

Anyone else had this happen before? Ive never seen or heard of the rod itself breaking before. That would suck *** in a coaster

checked ron ayers its like $30.00 but will take a few weeks anyone have one by chance lol?? i wanna ride finally gave in and got a Hb now im down before i even get to try it
if you have your clutch lever adjusted to work with your fingers between the clutch lever and the clipon and you have a worn clutch then it will some times cause this problem if you pull the lever all the way to the clipon with out your finger in between the two...

what happens is you are causing the clutch release lever to over rotate and it then turns that little pin in the middle of your clutch that the clutch release lever pulls on into a dremmel tool when you have the clutch lever pulled in all the way to the clipon

it seems to happen when you pull in the clutch to avoid extreme engine braking like if you ride a wheelie to the rev limmiter and when you put it down you pull in the clutch
Old 03-24-2007, 03:23 PM

the clutch is stock f4i untouched never messed w/ it at all. Only thing i did was pull the cable off at the lever put master cyl on the clipon and reinstall the clutch perch and lever. Worked fine while i was playing w/ the positioning of them. then i adjusted the clutch so i could slip it w/out pulling in much so i could still work the brake, still worked good until i went out and took it for a ride pulled in at stop sign and snap started rolling w/ clutch lever in lol.

So your saying it could be from me having it adjusted too far out putting too much strain on it? i tried to use my asv but couldnt pull that lever in w/ one finger and still have a finger on the brake so i put the stock clutch perch w/ cut lever back on.

I just ordered the rod from my local dealer he hookd it up thanks though nelson. Im going to get a new cable while im at it hopefully have no problems again.

As tfor the clutch itself seemed to still be grabbing good never had a problem w/ it so assuming the plates are still good

Is stock from 01 though
Old 03-24-2007, 03:27 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

yeah if you had it adjusted way out but then at the stop sign pulled it all the way to the bar then yes i would say you over rotated it and that center pin that pulls the basket out just turned into a dremmel tool and cut through your clutch release lever
Old 03-24-2007, 03:36 PM

ahh ic live and learn lol ive never seen that happen before shocked the hell outta me

thanks roger
Old 03-24-2007, 03:38 PM
also known as OMR

Name:  DSC00078.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  57.9 KB
it's not a good pic but if it cut trough this part at the top of the pic then yes i think im right about this one
Old 03-24-2007, 03:55 PM

ya it just broke a chunk off of it ont he side of the factory cut hole for the pin. Your conclusion makes sense for sure
Old 03-24-2007, 04:28 PM
also known as OMR

if you really like your clutch adjusted like you have it then i would rig up some sort of a stop so it doesn't happen again...

maybe just some thing on your clutch lever that hits the clip on so it cant go all the way to the bar but lets it go in far enough to let the clutch disenguage
Old 03-24-2007, 08:05 PM

ya thats a thought, i just got back from the garage, cut my levers down, bled my hb and re positioned the levers i think i have it now where i can cover both i put the stock perch back on and ground a little more off the levers middle finger on hb and pointer on clutch.

As long as i can pull the clutch lever w/ my pointer i should be good. Gonna have new cable so i dont see why not. If not might try that easy pull setup
Old 03-24-2007, 08:58 PM
DC Kustoms

drgnazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by f4istunna
ya thats a thought, i just got back from the garage, cut my levers down, bled my hb and re positioned the levers i think i have it now where i can cover both i put the stock perch back on and ground a little more off the levers middle finger on hb and pointer on clutch.

As long as i can pull the clutch lever w/ my pointer i should be good. Gonna have new cable so i dont see why not. If not might try that easy pull setup
easy pull is the way to go.....works great.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:12 PM

ive heard it go both ways some ppl love em and swear by them, then on the other hand ive heard horror stories about them breaking on ppl. Cant have that lol
Old 03-24-2007, 09:16 PM
also known as OMR

they break they break on the bike they break while putting them on the bike i think they some times break in the mail...lol
Old 03-24-2007, 09:20 PM
also known as OMR

notice the two clutch release levers in this pic , one is longer then the other....

that is the clutch lever mod that makes your bike have an easy pull that will never brake, this one is only a little longer then stock but mine is about 3/4 of an inch longer then stock and it is the only dependable way to have an easy pull clutch
Name:  DSC00078.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  57.9 KB
Old 03-24-2007, 11:56 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah its all about leverage. When you have a longer arm you have more leverage on the linkage.....