handbrake problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:36 PM

ct954 is an unknown quantity at this point
handbrake problem...

I have a 13mm magura radial master. I rode today and it was fine at first them as the day went on it started sticking. The foot brake was fine. Just when i squeezed the handbrake it wouldn't release the caliper. After a few seconds it would release. But when i use the foot brake its fine. What could cause this to stick. It can't be the caliper cause it would do it with the foot brake. Would air in the line do this???? Thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 07:39 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts
Re: handbrake problem...

Originally Posted by ct954
I have a 13mm magura radial master. I rode today and it was fine at first them as the day went on it started sticking. The foot brake was fine. Just when i squeezed the handbrake it wouldn't release the caliper. After a few seconds it would release. But when i use the foot brake its fine. What could cause this to stick. It can't be the caliper cause it would do it with the foot brake. Would air in the line do this???? Thanks

sounds like your overheating your brakes

-mexican mayhem
Old 03-11-2007, 07:41 PM

try changing your fluid to DOT 5.1 and not dragging your brakes

-mexican mayhem
Old 03-11-2007, 07:52 PM

Its all new fluid. Rbf600.. I just read in another post that in the master there is a return for the fluid to release. Its probably clogged... It was my first time with this new setup. Must of had crud in the line...Its only when i use the hand brake. It releases after a few seconds, just slowly. When i use the footbrake its fine. I think the master is clogged inside...
Old 03-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Boiling brake fluid won't make it stick. It would make it not work at all....Its not from dragging the brake cause it did the same when it was in the garage, cold..
Old 03-11-2007, 07:57 PM

Boiling brake fluid won't make it stick. It would make it not work at all....Its not from dragging the brake cause it did the same when it was in the garage, cold..
my friend had the same problem on his f4i, when it would get hot, it would lock up .

-mexican mayhem
Old 03-11-2007, 08:03 PM

Mine does it all the time. I noticed it sticking a little at first then it got worse. I wasn't riding enough to boil the fluid...Its the good fluid anyways. Hard to boil that ****...I'll take apart my master tommorow..
Old 03-11-2007, 08:06 PM

punishmentcycle is a decent person

anyluck re-bleeding it?it could be something in the master but doubtful.pull it off anyway and lightly blow some air thru the bleeder and banjo fiting.let me know if you need any help
Old 03-11-2007, 08:07 PM

ctstunter is an unknown quantity at this point

it def sounds like the masters stickin. never heard of overheating causing that issue. was it new when you put it on?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:10 PM

skinnyR! is a decent person

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
anyluck re-bleeding it?it could be something in the master but doubtful.pull it off anyway and lightly blow some air thru the bleeder and banjo fiting.let me know if you need any help

Swing by my house and bleed my f4i for me, both the front and rear brakes.

Also, while you are at it, change the oil in my 900rr and R1.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by ctstunter
it def sounds like the masters stickin. never heard of overheating causing that issue. was it new when you put it on?
he was runnin a dual caliper and his master was used

-mexican mayhem
Old 03-11-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by skinnyR!
Swing by my house and bleed my f4i for me, both the front and rear brakes.

Also, while you are at it, change the oil in my 900rr and R1.

Thanks in advance.
hahaha i'll give you a hand with your brakes,as far as oil goes ur on your own....... so are you going to bring that bike out tomorrow or
Old 03-11-2007, 08:21 PM

In the master there is a hole that releases the pressure after you press on the lever, lets the fluid go back to the resivour. I bet it glogged with crud. it got worse as the day went on. The lever gets rock hard like the pressure is not releasing. Its only the hand brake master though.... Mines a welded master. Not dual caliper... The hand master is a $400 magura billet master....
Old 03-11-2007, 08:26 PM

In the master there is a hole that releases the pressure after you press on the lever, lets the fluid go back to the resivour. I bet it glogged with crud. it got worse as the day went on. The lever gets rock hard like the pressure is not releasing. Its only the hand brake master though.... Mines a welded master. Not dual caliper... The hand master is a $400 magura billet master....
did you check out that sprocket?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:35 PM

I just checked it out. Its sick.... That **** is going to be sweet...
Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

if you fill up your res and put the cap on and fluid over flows this can cause the same problem you are having

try and leave a little room for the rubber diaphram [sp?]when you fill the brake fluid so there is no pressure in the system
Old 03-11-2007, 08:39 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by old man roger
if you fill up your res and put the cap on and fluid over flows this can cause the same problem you are having

try and leave a little room for the rubber diaphram [sp?]when you fill the brake fluid so there is no pressure in the system
Really? I always make sure it overflows a little
Old 03-11-2007, 08:48 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by nags
Really? I always make sure it overflows a little
well i was having the same problem and when i started leaving a little room for the hot fluid to expand i no longer had the problem ...

may be some masters are more sensitive to it then others
Old 03-11-2007, 11:30 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

Grease in your piston may have dried up, or dirt, or lack of lube....could be trash too. Theres not much to a master cyl.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:15 PM

yeah but it works fine with the foot brake. Only when i use the hand brake it sticks..

Quick Reply: handbrake problem...