Can You Weld This?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 04:24 PM

gangstar matt is a decent person
Can You Weld This?

I Busted The Stator Cover On My Bike And Where The Stator Cover Mounts To The Engine Case It Cracked In 3 Or 4 Different Spots By The Outer Edge Of The Casing Where Bolts Actually Hold The Cover On And Also Cracked One Bolt Hole In Half Can It Be Fixed? Also My Fly Wheel Was Dented Do You Think It Bent My Crank Or Would That Be Pretty Hard To Do
Old 03-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderators

GSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Can You Weld This?

That would definitely be one hard *** weld if it is even possible, post pics up.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:34 PM

punishmentcycle is a decent person

i hate to say it but the only way your going to be able to weld that is by taking that motor apart so you can get all the oil out of the case.the crank is hardend so there a possibility that u r good but check it before you try to turn it over.good luck
Old 03-03-2007, 04:50 PM

-RYNO is an unknown quantity at this point

its weldable........better have a good tig welder,your gonan have to build it up and then probaly take material off.it doesnt have to be pretty but it needs to be consistent.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:07 PM

Johnf is an unknown quantity at this point

i bought a 929 motor for cheap,with the stator broke the same way,,, i put it back together with jb weld and used the new cover to aline everything up till it dryed,,, then i used mopar black rvt sealer and smeared it all over the side,,,, it was the most getto thing i have ever done but it work for over a year of hard drops,,,, if you can get it welded,,, do it,, it was the BIGGEST PAIN IN MY AS TO DO,,,,,but i had just got the motor and needed to use it,, it never leaked on me
Old 03-03-2007, 05:45 PM

waco is an unknown quantity at this point

did the same to my r6...not as bad but it had a pretty steady oil lead i just used some jb weld and quick steel and put it on ther dosen't look pretty but it keeps the oil from leaking and thats what really counts
Old 03-03-2007, 07:53 PM

Herb is an unknown quantity at this point

Its going to cost you more to have it welded, than it would be to buy a new one.
I would recomend you get a job, and not worry about $60.00 parts.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:03 PM

waco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Herb
Its going to cost you more to have it welded, than it would be to buy a new one.
I would recomend you get a job, and not worry about $60.00 parts.
he is not just talking about the cover itself he is refering to the motor caseing too
Old 03-03-2007, 08:36 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

that problem is extremely common. i've seen it before and its happened to me with 2 of my bikes. unfortunately they make them things out of cheap *** cast garbage. it is weldable, but if you can get away with jb'ing it then do that. make sure you mix it right and put a small heater with a fan in front of it so it dries real good, then you can sand it, drill it, tap it, whatever. mine is holding up like a champ. there is also this stuff called hts-2000 and alumaloy you can google and look into. i've used it and it works. its almost like welding
Old 03-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Regular StuntLifer

longrider is an unknown quantity at this point

As a welder i will tell you can be done but it is not easy. I have done it but I swore a lot and is was not work I was proud of. The reasons have already been stated, the material itself is crap and the big issue is it is almost impossible to clean it properly.

Regarding the rotor and crank, the rotor is not really repairable but unless you really demolished the rotor the odds of bending the crank are fairly slim.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 AM

dustin7s is an unknown quantity at this point

if you hit the rotor it probably lost its magnetism meaning it wont fire until you replace it. to check the crank make sure it has oil and try to start it while watching the crank. if it moves just a little bit thats ok itll probably still run. the block is aluminum(correct me if I'm wrong) so youd have to get it heliarced at a machine shop if you want it fixed right. i cracked the block on a bike i used to have and i did what waco did and it worked great. jbweld and quicksteel worked great, just make sure to mix them good.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:02 AM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

I highly suggest taking your motor to a machine shop. Have a welder fix up your case, the easy part is welding it the hard part is making sure you make the surface exactly perfect and smooth so your stator cover will line up perfectly and not leak, not to mention retapping a new bolt hole.

As far as the crank and flywheel... definitely replace the flywheel and take your crank down to an engine shop and have them turn it. They'll know immediately if it's bent even a hair!
Old 03-04-2007, 02:50 AM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

Magneto should be fine....anything you do will be ugly. You could put the bike on its side and clean the area VERY good, and have it welded (you may have to remove the magneto and stator). If you prep the area right and have some pretty good mechanical knowledge you could build the area up with JB weld (very long and tedious operation) but that may be your only choice unless you have lots of money and can afford down time.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:51 AM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

might want to also invest stock in gasket maker......
Old 03-04-2007, 05:57 AM

kirk newcomer is a decent person

If you regular weld it the heat will cause weak spots. Its all about the combo JB

1st part the stick ****.. plug the hole. 2nd part the 2part mix to fill the gaps. **** will be just like new! Ran several bikes for years with the toofer Jb combo.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:19 AM

midnitesins1196 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd just buy a new one, its to much work to weld all that. As for your crank its harden and it would crack long before it'll bend
Old 03-04-2007, 09:11 AM

weld it!you you dont need the motor out,take your fairings off get it to a good tig welder,lay it on its side so the damage is up,brake kleen the **** out of the area and get it done.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:12 AM

i have a guy here in az that would charge 150$shouldnt be more than 250 from your local guy
Old 03-04-2007, 09:23 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

thewibb is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the exact same thing on my old 900. I laid it on it's side so all of the oil would drain away from the broken side of the motor. (left it like that overnight). Cleaned it, then I did exactly what everyone else has said with the 2 part mixing.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:35 AM

Miltown is an unknown quantity at this point

Had the same thing happen, had a 2 inch chunk missing from the lower case, just have to build it up and pick a good welder, dont need to remove the motor, just drain the fluids, pull the batter and maybe the ecu.

never leaked, never had a problem with it since

Quick Reply: Can You Weld This?