High Speed Wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:39 AM

Hustla_21 is a decent person
High Speed Wheelies

I'm Sure i'll get tons of **** on here but w/e. I got a 06 Kawi Ninja 650R and i can get it up in first and second just off throttle but i don't know how to shift it over into a new gear. i would like some advice on high speed wheelies too. i heard to drop shift and pop the clutch but i'd rather have some opinions before i ****** kill myself. last year i wiped pretty hard goin sixty and that wasn't fun so figured i'd be a lil safer this time.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all
Re: High Speed Wheelies

go 50mph in secound gear, pull in the clutch for a secound n let you, you will feel a buck, next time hold in the clutch alittle bit longer and it will buck harder... with lots of practice and looking ******* retarded u will be clutching up secound gear wheelies consistantly and the higher it is the slower u will gain speed untill u learn how to hold balance point, once u learn balance point u can ride wheelies in any gear any speed all day long..
Old 02-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderators

GSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of light

You will kill yourself with high speed whoolies
Old 02-13-2007, 11:49 AM

Thank ya much. What about shiftin through to keep it goin?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

don't shift, practice on consistancy with throttle and clutch, u will get better and 10x less liekly to loop from shifting in the middle of a wheelie
Old 02-13-2007, 12:51 PM

Hobie is an unknown quantity at this point

Define highspeed.

Do you want to bring it up at highway crusing speed, say 70mph, or 85mph, or 100+ etc.

What wheeliest said is good. You would be better off learning the balance point first and not worrying about shifting.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but bouncing the bike up and shifting gears seems to be the old way to wheelie. Now you clutch it up and balance it. If you learn the latter style first you will progress faster as a stunter if that's what you are interested in.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 PM

yea, i want to get her up goin like 80. what about drop shiftin and poppin the clutch? heard that works decent
Old 02-14-2007, 08:17 PM
DC Kustoms

drgnazz is an unknown quantity at this point

you are gonna die.... use the clutch and learn balance point in 2nd before you try anything faster. once you get that down, the rest will come.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:32 PM

gixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to behold

obviously you dont want anyones advice from here cause everyone is going to say the same thing thats already been said. but your not listening. so have fun with you 100mph gear shiftin power whoolies
Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 PM

nyRocketkid is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you want to go 80mph in a wheelie, and it doesnt sound like you can even wheelie at 15mph. Not trying to be a dick but learn ballence point, throttle controll, and rear brake controll and practice and the rest will come. If you get good at steady wheelies everything will come naturally. And shifting without the clutch is bad for your tanny btw. Get good, keep it steady, shift quick, AND COVER YOUR REAR BRAKE!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:27 PM

jasunto is an unknown quantity at this point

try clutchless shifting
Old 02-14-2007, 09:46 PM

va stunta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasunto
try clutchless shifting
+1...start slow and then "work" yourself up with speed
Old 02-14-2007, 09:49 PM

Josh Faught is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever you do have someone follow you with a video camera ha ha
Old 02-14-2007, 09:51 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PODIZZLE
Whatever you do have someone follow you with a video camera ha ha
+1
Old 02-14-2007, 09:54 PM

spiller03 is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^+!... get good enough that you can start at idle get to 100 and slow back down to idle.... its fun
Old 02-14-2007, 10:23 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spiller03
^^^+!... get good enough that you can start at idle get to 100 and slow back down to idle.... its fun
or where you can ride wheelies all the way from your drive way to work!!! ya know??? ride one all the way down the street and do circles while waitin for a red light??? then do a coaster off the freeway to slowdown!!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:47 PM

Hobie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hustla_21
i want to get her up goin like 80. what about drop shiftin and poppin the clutch?

I've been riding 8 years, I started buying and selling bikes a few years ago, it's turned itself into a business. I've met A LOT of riders in this time, especially since I started selling bikes, and I've never heard anyone say what you are saying with that whole drop shifting and popping the clutch thing. I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

What these guys are telling you, the ones that are serious, are basically right.

I still don't like teaching people to wheelie in first gear, I guess that's where I differ from most of the board members. The gyroscopic effect created by the wheels with a bit of speed keeps the bike more stable in my opinion. I try to teach people to wheelie in second gear at 40ish mph give or take depending on the bike. A little bit of speed keeps the bike stable and being in second instead of first means you are less likely to loop it.

Get going 40 or so in SECOND gear, stand up on the pegs, COVER the rear brake, COVER the rear brake, COVER the rear brake, and clutch the bike. By clutch I mean a quick motion. You don't really pull the lever all the way in and start coasting. You quickly pull the clutch lever back and give the throttle a little twist at the same time you release the clutch. COVER the rear brake and just start practicing. If you feel comfortable put your left leg back on the passenger peg in a staggered stance, it will help you get the bike up. If you feel uncomfortable standing like that, DON'T do it.

If you learn the clutching technique, DON'T shift, and learn throttle/brake control you WILL progress faster as a stunter in my opinion.

THE OLD SCHOOL WAY TO WHEELIE:
Put it in 2nd, stand up on the pegs, bounce the front forks with your bodyweight as you nail the throttle COVERING the brake, once the bike gets up and back you will probably be at the top of the revs, gently blip the throttle and bump the shifter into the next gear, at this point, try to find the balance point and stop shifting. You have less control this way, it's less predictable as the bike comes up, but this seems to be how you want to learn, GOOD LUCK.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:56 PM

Scott- is an unknown quantity at this point

Fast Wheelies Are Bad For Your Health Slow Balance Point **** Is A Lot More Fun.

Be Safe Man.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:09 AM

NINJABOY13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dudes clutchless shifting bad Bust your gearbox right up Trust me
Old 02-15-2007, 01:14 AM

defiant_600 is an unknown quantity at this point

chicks cant see you going 80+ what a squid!!!!

Quick Reply: High Speed Wheelies