linear or progressive rate fork springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 04:50 AM

punishmentcycle is a decent person
linear or progressive rate fork springs

so whats better for stoppies.linear is the same rate all the way thru the travel of the fork,and progressive takes steps in rate as it compresses.i've decided to stay with the stock frontend on my 900rr and just change the spring rate and oil viscosity.i've been doing some research and some things i have read has progressive rate springs giving a smoother better braking feeling than a linear spring.but at the same time wouldn't the single rate spring be better for stoppies as there is no change in the commpression rate?anybody have any relative info on this.after all it's a 99 900rr for christ sake ,everybodys rode one at some point in time
Old 02-05-2007, 08:17 AM
NME
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

NME is a decent person
Re: linear or progressive rate fork springs

I'd say progressive
Old 02-05-2007, 11:14 AM

theteacher929 is an unknown quantity at this point

progressive. By the time your front end is loaded up enough for the bike to stoppie you are well beyond the progressive part of the springs compression. the softer part of the spring is only going to soak up small bumps and make the bike feel smoother on the road.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
so whats better for stoppies.linear is the same rate all the way thru the travel of the fork,and progressive takes steps in rate as it compresses.i've decided to stay with the stock frontend on my 900rr and just change the spring rate and oil viscosity.i've been doing some research and some things i have read has progressive rate springs giving a smoother better braking feeling than a linear spring.but at the same time wouldn't the single rate spring be better for stoppies as there is no change in the commpression rate?anybody have any relative info on this.after all it's a 99 900rr for christ sake ,everybodys rode one at some point in time
run stock and stiffen the preload, compression damping, and rebound damping.

unless you have some thickness to ya, replacing the springs wont get you anythihng but a messy workbench and loss of an hour of your life.

o ya, you could use thicker oil. same yourself some loot
Old 02-05-2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
run stock and stiffen the preload, compression damping, and rebound damping.

unless you have some thickness to ya, replacing the springs wont get you anythihng but a messy workbench and loss of an hour of your life.

o ya, you could use thicker oil. same yourself some loot
i have run the forks one click from full hard on rebound and compression,and also have the pre load down to the bottom line.and it still feels like a pogo effect when correcting the height on this bike.before i got the damper i used to get bad wobbles no matter what i did.i am going with a thicker oil and since i'll have it a part,i'm changing seals,oil,and i was thinking of springs and valving.i'm 6'0 205 so i'm not to light.you still think just oil will do it?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:24 PM

MATT L is a decent person

I roll Progressive and love em:YEAH
Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

i have run the forks one click from full hard on rebound and compression,and also have the pre load down to the bottom line.and it still feels like a pogo effect when correcting the height on this bike.before i got the damper i used to get bad wobbles no matter what i did.i am going with a thicker oil and since i'll have it a part,i'm changing seals,oil,and i was thinking of springs and valving.i'm 6'0 205 so i'm not to light.you still think just oil will do it?
no, you are right, ifyou have maxed everything out, and are gonna change the oil...do what everyone else says and get the progressive ones.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
no, you are right, ifyou have maxed everything out, and are gonna change the oil...do what everyone else says and get the progressive ones.
thanks guys.the hyperpro progressive rate springs are priced pretty nice,so i think thats what i'll give a shot.i'll keep you guys posted on the feel of these springs
Old 02-05-2007, 02:10 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

hhhmmm.....

i would like to here your oppinion when your done and have tried it for a while...

i was thinking along the same lines as the teacher 929....

900 forks are not the stiffest forks in the world stock,so i would def get em alittle stiffer and go with some 15 w oil
Old 02-05-2007, 02:30 PM

will do roger,i ordered them 20 min's ago with 15w oil leak proof seals and super slick bushings.i was gonna valve them too but after they slippe me the price......i decided not hahaha
Old 02-05-2007, 02:48 PM

skinnyR! is a decent person

will do roger,i ordered them 20 min's ago with 15w oil leak proof seals and super slick bushings.i was gonna valve them too but after they slippe me the price......i decided not hahaha
Where'd ya get your parts, I still need to redo my front end, its leaked since day one.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:35 PM

i got the springs thru hyperpro themselves,everything else Parts-unlimited