does this hurt the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 04:23 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person
does this hurt the bike?

i don't have a rear stand for my bike so when i wanna lube it, i just walk it a little bit, lube it, walk it a little bit, lube it...etc..etc

but since i got the cage, i just put it into neutral, rap a towel around the exhaust, and slowly lay the bike down onto its side on the cage...and then, i lube away and spin tire with my hands...

is it bad for the bike to be on its side for a long time(4-5 minutes)?
Old 02-05-2007, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: does this hurt the bike?

Nah you shouldnt have any problems with doing that... only time i could see that being bad for the bike is if you left it way on it's side and then fired it up, starving it of oil...
Old 02-05-2007, 04:34 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

you can park it on the stand (the bikes original one) and just pull towards yourself and the rear wheel will lift so you can spin it...you can can even change the tire/wheel like that if you have someone to hold the bike...
Old 02-05-2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by StrictlyStunt
starving it of oil...
how would it starve? i know like on a wheelie it can't pull the oil UPwards,,but its the same from side-to-side?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by bruno_z
you can park it on the stand (the bikes original one) and just pull towards yourself and the rear wheel will lift so you can spin it...you can can even change the tire/wheel like that if you have someone to hold the bike...
i see that **** all the time....but never thought of doing it for an oil change. good stuff.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

oil change? I thought this was about chain?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 AM
TEAM KELM MOTHAFUUCKA***S

br denis is a glorious beacon of lightbr denis is a glorious beacon of lightbr denis is a glorious beacon of lightbr denis is a glorious beacon of lightbr denis is a glorious beacon of lightbr denis is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DirtyToes
i don't have a rear stand for my bike so when i wanna lube it, i just walk it a little bit, lube it, walk it a little bit, lube it...etc..etc

but since i got the cage, i just put it into neutral, rap a towel around the exhaust, and slowly lay the bike down onto its side on the cage...and then, i lube away and spin tire with my hands...

riiibiit
Old 02-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Valeska is a decent person

If it's a stunt bike, it's gonna end up on its side alot.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:22 AM

keithk76 is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds good but i would push it over and let it fall onto the cage instead of laying it down softly and keep the towel away so it can get some scratches
Old 02-05-2007, 09:49 AM

S.I.T can only hope to improve

Nah bro...like the rest said, it doesnt hurt it. Or you can invest in a rear stand if you want......
Old 02-05-2007, 10:25 AM

DBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of light

rap a towel around the exhaust, and slowly lay the bike down onto its side on the cagei )?

WOW you should not be in this stunt game
Old 02-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

You are going to flood your muffler bearings.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:37 AM

dizzie56 is an unknown quantity at this point

or u could just use a jack to hold it up and then spin the tire as much as u want
Old 02-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Hate Hate Hate!

T-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really nice

Just rip up a stoppie, approx. 5 to 700 feet, and have your buddy ride next to you and lube the chain while floatin one out. Thats what I do.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

just do a burn out and have your friend put some grease on his finger and apply it with his finger while u burn out, make sure he applies it on the top of the chain on the lower side of the sprocket.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 AM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure if your referring to a chain lube or an oil change. Chain-lube it from the inside of the chain, while on the stand. Roll it back as needed to expose the un-lubed parts of the chain. oil change- Set a drain pan under the drain plug area and drain while on the side stand,once it stops, manually hold the bike vertical for a minute or two,itll drip dry, then replace the oil filter
Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderators

GSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of light

You can get T-rex front and rear stands on ebay for a $100. They are decent.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

just put it upside down to lube the chain
Old 02-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Hate Hate Hate!

T-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
yeah, like a bmx bike...lol
Old 02-05-2007, 11:27 AM

DBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wheeliest

that's how i lube my chain
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1219478147_l.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	188123  

Quick Reply: does this hurt the bike?