Feedback on Ho Hey's Dual caliper bracket

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:10 PM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback on Ho Hey's Dual caliper bracket

In case anybody missed the other thread...

I was one of the lucky 5 people that were able to get their hands on one of Ho Hey's "pre-production" dual caliper brackets for some testing.

Well I just got it mounted up this morning... although I didn't have a whole lot of time w/ it today, but here's what I thought, and a couple of pics....

A lil backround info first... I've been using a fullthrottle setup since early spring w/ a 1000rr radial master. It was a great system that I liked alot, but the one problem I had was when going directly from foot brake to hand (ie: goin from rear peg circle to off pegs circle or slow sit down to SS jump). There's that little bit of slop on the first pull that made the transition inconsistant.

About 2wks ago I swaped the 1krr master for the brembo 16*18. Much better feel all around, required a little more pull, but the better feel was well worth the $$.

OK... on to the dual setup... I used a 66" goodrich line (perfect fit w/ a lil slack using stock clip-ons). Picked up a 636 rear caliper for $40, and a set of f4i fronts for $40 off ebay. Topped it off w/ a bottle of RBF600 from the local shop. I threw on a fresh set of stocker honda pads in the 4 piston caliper, but I got stuck w/ garbage EBC organic's for the 636 footbrake.

The bracket itself is amazing. It's beefy, light and fit absolutely perfect. Fantastic job by the machinest. I hate to keep comparing this to Bill's products, but being familiar w/ them, I have to say this is the same type of quality product that you'd expect from him.

Bleeding the handbrake caliper is cake if your used to bleeding a piggyback setup. Took me less than 5 minutes.

On the bike... 1st thing noticed is this 4 piston front caliper has POWER. 1 finger lock-up w/ EASE. I could 1 finger lock the rear w/ the 1000rr master on the old setup, but it really took a major squeeze w/ a solid grip.

This was the one thing that took a few minutes to get used to... I kept bringin the front end down... but once I got used to the amount of presure it took.... wow. Pullin seat stander coaster's off of the bar w/ one finger, no problem.

I ALWAYS cover the clutch no matter what, so I had problem's w/ things on the old setup that took more than one finger on the brake. This new setup along w/ the moose clutch seem's to be perfect for my weak little hands I can see it's gonna open up a whole lotta new tricks for me.

With the couple hrs I had w/ it today, I have to say that I'm EXTREMELY pleased and cannot wait to get out there again tomorrow. Along w/ this Brembo master, I really don't see where or how you can get any better than this.

MAD PROPS TO HO HEY.... phenomonal job! Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	new vids 006.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	185630   Click image for larger version

Name:	new vids 007s.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	185631   Click image for larger version

Name:	new vids 008s.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	185632  

Last edited by kj; 12-17-2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:12 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Feedback on Ho Hey's Dual caliper bracket

Sounds like the bracket is sweet and all..

But if you were getting a delay in the transition from the footbrake to handbrake, you had air in it. We've all got the adapters down here and NONE of us have that problem
Old 12-17-2006, 11:27 PM
kj

Lot's of peep's say the little slop is normal w/ a single setup... https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/sho...=171999&page=2

I bled the old setup w/ a vaccum bleeder... did it many time's to a couple different bike's... upside down, right side up, inside out. Same result. If it was air (which it has to be), it is IMPOSSIBLE to get out.

Even so... problem solved w/ new setup, and it was bled the exact same way.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:38 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

No doubt the new setup is sick.

But if there is any type of delay with the adapter.. You have air. Mine has NO delay at all.

p.s. I never bleed with a vacuum bleeder.. all done by hand
Old 12-18-2006, 12:26 AM

Nick Apex is a decent person

That setup looks like a cool idea. One point of interest from the pics, it looks like the 4p caliper may not be seated up against the rotor right, or? Looks like the disk has a wear line where the 4 piston pads contact the disk about half way down the rotor. I wonder what sort of problem that could cause with uneven wear, anyone know? Overall good times, long run review would be cool too.

Ohh on a side note you can bleed the full throttle unit pefect if you do the last final test with a midpump on both foot and hand at the same time, or at least it works for me, haha!

Last edited by Nick Apex; 12-18-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 AM
kj

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
...looks like the 4p caliper may not be seated up against the rotor right, or? Looks like the disk has a wear line where the 4 piston pads contact the disk about half way down the rotor....

Ohh on a side note you can bleed the full throttle unit pefect if you do the last final test with a midpump on both foot and hand at the same time...
AHH... good to know about the full throttle! I'm gonna be putting that back on my streeter so, thank's for the tip.

I'm still a big fan of Bill's stuff and I'm not abandoning him! I just always wondered what the whole dual caliper deal was all about.... and this one looked like it was the best idea yet, so... I jumped on it and got lucky (so far).

The pic's arent' the greatest... but no, both calipers line up absolutely perfect and sit tight, as if they were factory. That's why I was so impressed... I wasn't expecting it to be as nice as it is.

The rotor's actually less than a week old, and I took the pics just after mounting the whole setup. So it's not wear... I really don't know what it was, it only goes around about half of the disk.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:52 PM
kj

here's the original thread too, for some more info: https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175019
Old 12-18-2006, 12:56 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Just wonderin what was the reason he used a front 4 piston front caliper? A front caliper doesnt float becaue the rotor floats, so you now have one floating caliper on your rear disc and one that doesnt...I like the feel of a floating caliper better GSXR's have non floating calipers and I dont like how they feel.....

Any feedback on the diffence you feel?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:09 PM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

and what's the word on putting a front rotor on the back wheel... do you have to fab a mount, which puts the disc out further? you could makeup for it's location in the bracket though, right?...I know I saw it on one of the green mountain outlaws bikes back in the day. There's a pic around somewhere. It was a yellow and black '01 929 if I remember correctly.
With a rotor that size you could make bracket with two 4 or 6 piston front calipers... and it would probably make one finger lock really easy
Old 12-18-2006, 01:19 PM

1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
That setup looks like a cool idea. One point of interest from the pics, it looks like the 4p caliper may not be seated up against the rotor right, or? Looks like the disk has a wear line where the 4 piston pads contact the disk about half way down the rotor. I wonder what sort of problem that could cause with uneven wear, anyone know? Overall good times, long run review would be cool too.

Ohh on a side note you can bleed the full throttle unit pefect if you do the last final test with a midpump on both foot and hand at the same time, or at least it works for me, haha!

+1 Same way I bled mine to do away with that small transition it seemed to have, works great!

I am unsure about that floating and solid mount setup, Curious to see some long term results. Other than that it looks like a killer setup, everything finishes off nice and clean. Oh and why the 4 piston rather than single?? And why switch to a 636 from F4i..
Old 12-18-2006, 01:48 PM
kj

For design questions you'd have to ask Ho Hey All I know is that it works... and works very well so far.

I honestly wouldn't know what to look for in terms of feel between a floating and non-floating caliper. The only difference I feel so far is much more grab w/ less effort, and better feel in terms of making small adjustments while using it.

Long term may turn up different results I don't know... we'll have to wait and see... I'll will definetly be posting anything I find w/ this system good OR bad.

As for the front rotor on the rear... IMO, I don't think it would be worth the effort, because any more braking power than this setup provides would probably be too much.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:38 PM

Guru is a decent person

i am also one of the 5 guys who got the bracket. i put it on and rode it for the first time yesterday.

i am very happy so far. i did notice more power then my other dual setup

the only problems i was having was i kept losing pressure. it was almost like it was overheating but i wasnt riding enough for that.

i am going to go over the system again. the only thing i can think of is that my resivour isnt sitting right. other then that i dont know what the problem is.

but overall i like the set up alot and most of the guys on my team want one

so ho hey we need some more!!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:45 PM

numberTWO is an unknown quantity at this point

HOW CAN I GET ONE??????? I want that so bad and have been waiting so long til one came out. Can I get a phone number and a price?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 PM

juzslidin has a spectacular aura aboutjuzslidin has a spectacular aura about

i got one of the brackets , but havent gotten around to mounting it yet cause im waiting for my caliper still . as for the bracket i can say it looks liek a realy well made piece . no more worries of a weld breaking when im on the highway !!!

on a side not i will say ho hey is great to do buisness with . very fast with updates and tracking info etc etc . thanx again

scott
Old 12-20-2006, 01:54 PM
kj

Anybody else get their's mounted yet? Alexf4i? Atnuts? I wanna hear how you guys like it.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:48 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Just wonderin what was the reason he used a front 4 piston front caliper? A front caliper doesnt float becaue the rotor floats, so you now have one floating caliper on your rear disc and one that doesnt...I like the feel of a floating caliper better GSXR's have non floating calipers and I dont like how they feel.....

That's some messed up logic. Now where do i start...?
I'm sure he used the 4 pisiton caliper because the total area of the two pistons from each side of the caliper is greater than the piston area that the one piston caliper displaces, which is directly related to braking power (if you're confused, look up hydrolic leverage).
Now a one piston caliper has to float in order for it to stay centered on the rotor. However, when there are pistons on both sides of the rotor, the caliper does not need to float because both brake pads are floating. The caliper can be mounted a little off center and it will still work fine.
Also, none of this has anything to do with floating front rotors. Floating rotors are rotors that are made to be able to expand a little from heat and still not warp. The rotor's movement is not even noticeable and has nothing to do with moving sideways to stay centered with the caliper.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, and there should be no difference in feel just based on the floating/ non floating part of the caliper. If there is, in would be insignificant and it would be because the whole caliper floats sidways with more or less resistance than the extra set of pistons on the non floating caliper. I'm sure there were other variables between said brakes than just floating/nonfloating.

Last edited by f4rider; 12-20-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:02 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Ho_Hey is a decent person

Great info its nice to hear how the brackets are working out and what others might think so that I can try to make the bracket even better. To answer some questions first let me start off with answering why the 4 piston caliper.

Why a 4 piston caliper? Larger brake pads = more pad contact = better braking at least that’s my theory.

Why use a 636 caliper instead of a F4i caliper? Well to be perfectly honest with you this was done to speed up the design process along with cutting down on cost. Remember to develop something like this you have to pay a machinist to draw everything out then load that information into a CNC machine that cost $$$$. Look at a F4i bracket and then a 636 bracket in order to make the bracket to hold a F4i caliper much more machining time would be required as well as a jig = higher cost to the buyer which is what I wanted to keep down.

f4rider said it pretty well when he explained why I might have gone with a 4 piston caliper and any concern as to floating rotors in comparison to a fixed rear rotor with a fixed 4 piston caliper. Damn I should make f4rider a sales rep thanks bro for breaking it down very well put.

I would like to hear back from the other guys on the list of 5 who purchased the brackets before I go all out selling them to help put potential buyers minds at wrest and so I can make sure what I came up with is something good. Just because I love mine doesn’t mean other will so I asked for 5 guys participation and valuable inputs. Thank you everyone for reading this thread and putting in your comments.

1. AlexF4i
2. Atnuts
3. Guru SF
4. kj954
5. juzslidin
Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Originally Posted by f4rider
That's some messed up logic. Now where do i start...?
I'm sure he used the 4 pisiton caliper because the total area of the two pistons from each side of the caliper is greater than the piston area that the one piston caliper displaces, which is directly related to braking power (if you're confused, look up hydrolic leverage).
Now a one piston caliper has to float in order for it to stay centered on the rotor. However, when there are pistons on both sides of the rotor, the caliper does not need to float because both brake pads are floating. The caliper can be mounted a little off center and it will still work fine.
Also, none of this has anything to do with floating front rotors. Floating rotors are rotors that are made to be able to expand a little from heat and still not warp. The rotor's movement is not even noticeable and has nothing to do with moving sideways to stay centered with the caliper.
Easy mister I know everything.....First of all front rotors are floating for the same reason the rear caliper floats to centre the rotor between the pads. For many reasons heat expansion, vibration, etc etc...Some older or cheaper bikes have floating calipers on the front aswell..Even if you have muti piston calipers pushing from both sides and no floating rotor or caliper, you will always have 1 side putting more pressure on one side of the rotor then the other which will create drag. I said I dont like the GSXR fixed calipers because I have experience with them having this problem, I have rotors that have been warped so bad they are shaped like a bowl becuase the pistons on one side pushed it that way.....Multi pistons from both side help centre the rotor between the pads,
but I dont care what you say without a foalting rotor or caliper you will have more drag eventually. Ever had a real bad tank slapper and when you go to use your front brakes the lever goes to the bar with no braking at all, because the pistons got knocked far back into the bores from the slapping motion? That is eaxclty what I see happeneing with a non floating rotor or caliper setup due to rotor warpage, heat expansion, and vibration. Then you will have a delay in they HD worse then any 1 caliper setup. these are experiences you wont read about in books Fixed rotor and caliper = vibration and uneven pad pressure + delays

Theres other reasons I question his use of front caliper, the pad shape was designed for a specific rotor size..So Im just wonderin how much of the pad isnt in contact with the smaller rear rotor..

And above all I didnt say it was a bad design I simply asked for his reasoning behind using certain components, and I didnt ask you I asked the designer behind the project itself.....

Last edited by JohnnyP; 12-21-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:09 AM
kj

...the pad shape was designed for a specific rotor size..

Actually this is not true.... these same pads and calipers are used by honda on all 296mm, 320mm, and 330mm rotors (maybe more idk).

The rear is 220... even if you have a tiny bit of pad that dosen't contact the rotor, your still getting 100% contact of the rotor surface itself.

Quick Reply: Feedback on Ho Hey's Dual caliper bracket