who would buy this cage for $300 new.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 05:01 PM

AsphaltAssault is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: who would buy this cage for $300 new.

ya thats why 905 and all those companies dont tig because they dont want it to be industructable if they where they would have a surge in cage sales and it would drop off because every one would have and not need another and it takes more skill to tig weld and it takes a little longer. and i dont know if any other companies but 905 uses seamed mild steel which is the cheapest tubing they make. and its only like .090 wall if that.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:02 PM

dlong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AsphaltAssault
it cost alot more than that call your local steel yard it cost about $100 in materials, then you need a tubing bender to bend the tubing, a welder, a lathe to make the slugs, and bridgeport to notch the tubing. theres alot more involved than you think and you need to R&D the cage. if you notice it bolts up to the lower subframe bolts not the rear motor mount that always breaks the motor mount bolts.
yeah theres alot more in making cages,around a hun in cost total. plus like he said the r&d involved is alot more than people know
Old 12-05-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by dlong
ok i put it as a personal preference on my crash cages.i prefer mig welding mine, i would never tig them. its kinda hard to trust someone elses tig welding, its just not something eveyone can do.
hey man i weld chopper chassis i think i can be trusted tig welding a cage.
www.chopperworks.com
Old 12-05-2006, 05:04 PM

125ktm is an unknown quantity at this point

my friend has mxd and there are alot of differences. if they have a pat. its not close enough to get sued over i know all about patents i build choppers for a living and have a good name in the industry.
go for it man i paid 300$ for y custom built cage and from what ive seen of pro built ones id never buy one
Old 12-05-2006, 05:04 PM

1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about

it cost alot more than that call your local steel yard it cost about $100 in materials, then you need a tubing bender to bend the tubing, a welder, a lathe to make the slugs, and bridgeport to notch the tubing. theres alot more involved than you think and you need to R&D the cage. if you notice it bolts up to the lower subframe bolts not the rear motor mount that always breaks the motor mount bolts.
You use a bridgeport to notch the tubing?? Dammn rich azz..
I got a tubing notcher for the drill press and I have a pneumatic for the 90 degree bends.. What kind of steel are you using that sounds high for just one cage. Is it chromemoly? Sorry not knocking you at all I got much respect for you to step into this game. I have built a few before myself and the labor for R&D is time consuming. Oh and I forgot about the slugs that does run up some extra cash.... Hope all works well for you
Old 12-05-2006, 05:10 PM

dlong is an unknown quantity at this point

hey man i weld chopper chassis i think i can be trusted tig welding a cage.
www.chopperworks.com
im not personally knocking your welds, but you know like me if you dont know how to tig weld right, you might as well glue the damn thing together,about the same strength, but anyways, good luck on them, like i said damn good looking cage
Old 12-05-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1ST GEAR
You use a bridgeport to notch the tubing?? Dammn rich azz..
I got a tubing notcher for the drill press and I have a pneumatic for the 90 degree bends.. What kind of steel are you using that sounds high for just one cage. Is it chromemoly? Sorry not knocking you at all I got much respect for you to step into this game. I have built a few before myself and the labor for R&D is time consuming. Oh and I forgot about the slugs that does run up some extra cash.... Hope all works well for you
ya we build chassis so we have a bridgeport set up for notching because its fast.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:28 PM

letsride is a name known to allletsride is a name known to allletsride is a name known to allletsride is a name known to allletsride is a name known to allletsride is a name known to all

so it is costing next to nothing to make seeing how you already have all these tools then right? Ive been to chopper works, nice bikes. to bad I could never afford one
Old 12-05-2006, 06:02 PM

wilsowp is an unknown quantity at this point

super clean but a little to pricy, id pay 200
Old 12-05-2006, 06:06 PM

louisvillerider is a decent person

there is no need for a brace it, i have looked into it. ya i could probably do $250.

why not just buy a SI cage... it's still cheaper than what your asking, and has a good rep allready
Old 12-05-2006, 06:08 PM

Big R 508 is infamous around these parts

Nice cage however i sugget ya 2 lower the price starting @ 225-250.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:14 PM

TheProdigy is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah alittle pricy
Old 12-05-2006, 06:16 PM
B.T.M.

crtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to behold

a good way to start and get your name out is sponsor a rider or two, see reviews on it.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:17 PM

louisvillerider is a decent person

<--- will crash test the 03-04 636 design for you
Old 12-05-2006, 06:21 PM

Malicki has much to be proud ofMalicki has much to be proud ofMalicki has much to be proud ofMalicki has much to be proud ofMalicki has much to be proud ofMalicki has much to be proud ofMalicki has much to be proud ofMalicki has much to be proud ofMalicki has much to be proud ofMalicki has much to be proud of

the price is a bit up there, but make em and sell them on ebay.. more people would buy if it wasnt so much though.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

E RacK can only hope to improve

$200 and show me some r&d pics
Old 12-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

E RacK can only hope to improve

but i'll go ahead n test the 00-03 gsxr prototype for u n return it for your records and then if all hangs on well buy one off you
Old 12-05-2006, 06:31 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by louisvillerider
why not just buy a SI cage... it's still cheaper than what your asking, and has a good rep allready
Old 12-05-2006, 06:35 PM
sickinnovations.com

PUNKON1WHEEL is a decent person

100.00 in materials? Thats really expensive man. If i were you, id look ofr another place to purchase your steel. We dont have all the tools that you listed and were doing fine without them. In all honesty, I dont think thats very fair for you to take measurements off of an MXD cage and slightly change it enough to not get into legal trouble. Be innovative if your going to make cages. Come up with you own unique design. Not tryin to p!ss you off, just stating my opinion.

Last edited by PUNKON1WHEEL; 12-05-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:40 PM

Josh Faught is an unknown quantity at this point

THink your cage would hold up to the avatar ha ha ha
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Quick Reply: who would buy this cage for $300 new.