Stunt Riding and Custom Sportbikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 11:14 AM

Joker is an unknown quantity at this point
Stunt Riding and Custom Sportbikes

The other night I was reading a big stunt publication and I was skipping through the custom bike layouts to get to more stunting stuff and I started thinking about whether those two things are even related. I know that stunting and bling bling custom bikes are both on the fringe of mainstream sportbike culture so in that way they are related but that seems to be about the only thing that they have in common. I also understand that at this moment in time for stunt mags or stunt tv shows to make it they need to pull a bigger base than is probably available with just stunt riders. I guess I was just wondering how long we are going to have to hold hands with custom bikes for coverage. Its pretty obvious that no on this site gives a chit about custom bikes because no one really talks about them and custom sportbike threads come up about once every three months. I personally think that taking the front brake rotors off of a 500hp bike is retarded and most of the paint jobs are too far out there to be cool. Anyway, I'm not really looking for an answer, just thought I would see what everyone elses thoughts are.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:20 AM

Hazen is a decent person
Re: Stunt Riding and Custom Sportbikes

For the past couple years, SSB has focused mostly on the Stunting scene while keeping custom bikes as "filler" since there is usually only 1 or 2 large events a month to cover in the stunt scene.
2 Wheel Tuner is focused on mainly customization of sportbikes because it is a huge industry - not only in the US, but Peurto Rico, Europe, and other remote locations. Although they cover stuntwars, and have stunting pics in nearly every issue - it's not what pays the bills. Although stunt riding is growing as an industry as well as a sport, there are alot more people wanting to spend money on chrome, custom paint, and billet parts then there are enthusiasts who are willing to buy copy after copy of someone "cat-walking" a bike on the cover. Maybe I'm biased from being in the Custom Sportbike industry - this has been my
Old 11-24-2006, 11:21 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

you're right, its like filler i guess. Might as well just leave those pages blank
Old 11-24-2006, 11:25 AM

Lunchbox- is an unknown quantity at this point

who cares if it has a filler in the mag that is pages i skip over and use for tp in the batroom if i run out. People do their own thing and ssb does a great job with the stunt part of the magaziene i like to read the articles to see how much stupid people spend on their pimp *** bikes
Old 11-24-2006, 11:38 AM

Hazen is a decent person

Originally Posted by MikeM
you're right, its like filler i guess. Might as well just leave those pages blank
There's a good market for that "filler". Stunt riding is not what makes SSB money - advertisements from companies like Trac Dynamics, RC Components, McCoy, Custom Sportbike Concepts, and ST Machine are where the $$$ is.

Companies buying full page add space are the ones making a "stunting" magazine successfull - not the 2 or 3 people buyin the magazine at the grocery store cause they think wheelies are cool.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:32 PM

skidmark is a decent person

I read it for the stunt ****, but I love custom bikes,cuz I build bikes too... so SSB has me totally covered just the way it is. I don't follow drag racing, but I like what they do with their bikes, so that can stay too!

if it ain't broke don't fix it... just make it bigger and monthly
Old 11-24-2006, 12:49 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by skidmark
I read it for the stunt ****, but I love custom bikes,cuz I build bikes too... so SSB has me totally covered just the way it is. I don't follow drag racing, but I like what they do with their bikes, so that can stay too!

if it ain't broke don't fix it... just make it bigger and monthly

+1

Nothing sicker then seeing a GOOD looking bike that isn't like ANY other bike being stunted..
Kinda boring watching the same full fairing, same paint job, Same f4i doing the same trick.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:55 PM

Joker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Towlieee
+1

Nothing sicker then seeing a GOOD looking bike that isn't like ANY other bike being stunted..
Kinda boring watching the same full fairing, same paint job, Same f4i doing the same trick.
Custom stunt bike is a different story. I meant the Custom sportbikes with the 80 inch swingarms and 290 rear tires. You know, the Orange County Sportbikes...
Old 11-24-2006, 12:55 PM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

I wonder if the custom fellas think "I love SSB but always have to skip past the stunt stuff to the real bikes..."
Old 11-24-2006, 01:07 PM

babyJOKER is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike u got too much time on ur hand. lets go ride