New SSB Mag!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Wheelie Ninja!

Kaneone is a decent person
Re: New SSB Mag!

Originally Posted by DLish
my on ssb, ...can I get some wheelies n stuff on the cover again? not back to back non-practical bikes?
I think we wouild all love that.. but i also think the sad fact is...

custom bikes sell more issues than stunts..
and more specificly... custom bike builders spend more money than stunters...

-kane
Old 11-14-2006, 01:11 AM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Kaneone

-kane
we'd spend more than them, but were all broke
Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 AM

SoCalRPM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RoadRashChic
wish you would've gave jojo credit... instead of calling her my fan...
That's Jojo? I seriously had no idea.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:49 AM

SIC J is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SoCalRPM
You had no idea who the real people who were "killin the streets" either.... LOL hahahaha
Old 11-14-2006, 03:36 AM

Jessica Maine is a decent person

lol that's what i called you about, but you didn't return my phone call mofoe!!
hahaha

it's ok j-style already gave you crap for me... I just hope she doesn't think i had anything to do with it.. if she see's it!!!!

MISS YA BUDDY!!! :D
Old 11-14-2006, 07:56 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

If stunnas only knew how hard it is to tell them apart. I seriously remember everyone I met, but have no idea who they are unless they are standing in front of me, with a name tag on.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:57 AM

INdaStreetz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R1Aaron
Yeah, blatantly illegal behavior on bikes is exactly the kinda thing that we can celebrate and make a big deal about on the pages of our magazine, and not worry about catching heat from advertisers or newsstand distributors or readers and jeopardize whatever little bit of hard-won credibility we have in this industry. I mean come on now...

Sorry, but we just can't get away with printing stuff like that in a major newsstand pub like SSB. In the eyes of many who are paying attention to what we are doing with this magazine (right or wrong), running a cover shot of your boy rockin' a wheelie down a crowded highway directly in front of a cruiser with the lights blazing would be akin to running a story on how to beat up grandmas and steal their social security checks or something.

It's the truth.

U just lost one reader who tries to buy your magazine the DAY it comes out on stands - been reading from the start !

The fact is, you CAN get away with it, but you are to busy worrying about company image than the lifestyle of riding... No one said you had to post a picture of SicNate rockin a wheelie with the cherrys and berrys behind him, but you could have at least said that you appreciated the Sic boyz tryin to come out and put on a show... What could someone say? Its TRUE life - you didnt pay them to do it... and riding a wheelie in traffic isnt stealing money from an old lady - Ever heard of a magazine called "high times" ?

Thats the TRUTH... Good luck
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by INdaStreetz
U just lost one reader who tries to buy your magazine the DAY it comes out on stands - been reading from the start !

The fact is, you CAN get away with it, but you are to busy worrying about company image than the lifestyle of riding... No one said you had to post a picture of SicNate rockin a wheelie with the cherrys and berrys behind him, but you could have at least said that you appreciated the Sic boyz tryin to come out and put on a show... What could someone say? Its TRUE life - you didnt pay them to do it... and riding a wheelie in traffic isnt stealing money from an old lady - Ever heard of a magazine called "high times" ?

Thats the TRUTH... Good luck
Yeah! Why should you care about laibilites and dopey corporate stuff? You should do exactly what everyone else wants, lose everything, and then you can be a d1ck for losing a good venue for showing stunting.

High Times deals with advertisers who are ok with the crime.

SSB has to have a functional business model. Openly supporting criminal behavior is a huge liability for the media, and SSB is right to want to take you guys mainstream. Without the mainstream market the industry and sport will stall out.

Which is not to say stunting has to be taken off the streets entirely, it was born on the streets. But the streets will have to be the stunt worlds not well kept secret. It's not something the media can overtly support. The bigger you guys get, the more attention magazines and tv shows featuring you will attract, the more scrutiny the stunt related press will be under.

And then the lawsuits start.

You'd be worse off getting all primadonna and pissy about not getting what you want than to understand SSB helps your sport more than your subscription/newsstand purchase helps SSB. And since SSB supports your sport (just not the way you want, poor dear) you damned well should support them and understnad that just like you, they have to weigh their choices.

Otherwise it won't be long before SSB doesn't exist anymore, or can't cover stunting at all. Liabilities aren't some thing people make up so they can disappoint you. They bring down emerging industries all the time. Use some smarts.

Another thing, try not to take it personally if someone omits a shout out. It's easy to get caught up in trying to amke an article flow, getting the layout right, etc, and then when you think it's perfect, you feel all proud. And then somebody gets mad. Always. Because someone always gets left out. I'm sure they'll run a correction, or a "oops we forgot to say thanks" but the truth is, sometimes an article is a big deal to the writer for one reason, and the participants for another reason. And it's easy to forget to look at it from the other guys perspective. I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

Last edited by excessa; 11-14-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:20 AM

i have "smarts" so keep the technical law talk BS outta this... How is giving a shout out to a rider that probably ended up getting a reckless driving ticket for their ride a liability? Thats common respect... The SIC boyz came out to SUPPORT ssb just like i would've if it would've taken place around here... (damn indiana) lastly, did anyone get up at the start of the ride and say "this is a RIDE, not a stunt session" i doubt it...

ALL i was saying is that a simple "thanks to the Sic boyz" in the article would've been nice... Those guys come out and represent - just like they did at the RAINY *** stuntfest this year... Have you ever been to a streetride excessa? Ive noticed you come on here poppin off about all this **** you know, and it seems you've been around for a few months...

I appreciate more of the HELP you've posted about patent law and such.... thats gangster - thanks... However, dont think that SSB is helping me out at all... Or my "industry" I do this **** for fun, nothing else... I support the riders that know where they came from, and dont forget it...
Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

if you do it for fun, stop worrying about people getting props in a magazine. if you are not going to buy SSB anymore because of these lack of props, that says a lot about yourself.

i've been on both sides of the fence, and i can tell you Mr. Frank does a damn fine job of pushing our sport.

if i only had a nickel for everytime i shoulda gotten a thank you or a shoutout....
Old 11-14-2006, 08:30 AM

btw - i am not at all saying SSB is a shitty mag - its awesome...

SICmestizoRider said it perfectly with his posts ! You all know what i think - take it as advice or leave it...
Old 11-14-2006, 08:34 AM

i have "smarts" so keep the technical law talk BS outta this... How is giving a shout out to a rider that probably ended up getting a reckless driving ticket for their ride a liability? Thats common respect... The SIC boyz came out to SUPPORT ssb just like i would've if it would've taken place around here... (damn indiana) lastly, did anyone get up at the start of the ride and say "this is a RIDE, not a stunt session" i doubt it...

ALL i was saying is that a simple "thanks to the Sic boyz" in the article would've been nice... Those guys come out and represent - just like they did at the RAINY *** stuntfest this year... Have you ever been to a streetride excessa? Ive noticed you come on here poppin off about all this **** you know, and it seems you've been around for a few months...

I appreciate more of the HELP you've posted about patent law and such.... thats gangster - thanks... However, dont think that SSB is helping me out at all... Or my "industry" I do this **** for fun, nothing else... I support the riders that know where they came from, and dont forget it...

I say what I've learned. Yeah I've been to streetrides and events. I don't know everything, but if I give you an educated perspective, it's usually because I know what I'm talking about, and think I see things from a different angle than you. Not that I know more, but I've learned something different.

I know what it feels like to put yourself out there for someone and be disappointed. But I also know what it's like to have to evaluate what you can say and what you can't keeping in mind how advertisers can pull your money, and so can readers.

I am sensitve to someone saying they withdraw their support of a publication that does so much for a sport over something that is probably a simple oversight, coupled with people not understanding how much pressure journalists get over content. It's a balancing act.

And I'm also a little upset because I keep trying to hit the mainstream mags with stunt articles, but no one wants to support it. Because of liabilities. So, it's not you. I shouldn't have been so pointy, I'm just frustrated.

I hope you aren't really going to boycott SSB, it's a great mag, and while you may not be as interested in promoting the marketing side of it, a lot of people really are, so the whole thing should be considered together IMO. What's good for one will be good for the other, I think.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:35 AM

the reason i commented is because @ the Stuntfest ride the Sic guys were representing... and i know that they kill the streets - that deserves respect in my eyes - we have to agree to disagree... I know SSB helps the stunt world out... i never questioned that - maybe i was a bit extreme with the "loss of a reader" comment, ill probably still buy the mag - cuzz the others definitely dont compare... But honestly, i still think the Sic boys should get a "thanks" instead of criticism from the magazine staff.

Last edited by INdaStreetz; 11-14-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:39 AM

the reason i commented is because @ the Stuntfest ride the Sic guys were representing... and i know that they kill the streets - that deserves respect in my eyes - we have to agree to disagree... I know SSB helps the stunt world out... i never questioned that - maybe i was a bit extreme with the "loss of a reader" comment... But honestly, i still think the Sic boys should get a "thanks" instead of criticism on here.
I don't know if I've seen SIC boys ride, but I've heard Nate mentioned a lot. I'm guessing he kills it.

I went a little too far too. I'm just mad right now because I'm not used to having my articles shot down.

In fact I'm about to send them all to SSB. I can't believe what ******** people can be. They will turn down good articles because they are biased and run really stupid crappy ones instead. Which is not your fault.

I should go beat up on Bibo til I feel better.

ETA I just reread what you were saying. I get you now. I think you probably took what was said in combination with what was omitted and reacted to the two. Criticism? Not bad. No thanks? not too bad. Together? pisses people off.

I can't speak for other people, but I can say, sometimes what ends up out there isn't what was intended. I didn't read it as him criticizing SIC for the street ride or asking why there was no shout out. He was saying, "you guys don't understand the position I'm in" he just worded it defensively.

But I can see where you'd feel slighted. I hope you know there's pretty much no chance the slight was intentional. It's just easy to forget how someoen else is going to take what you say.

Last edited by excessa; 11-14-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:43 AM

yah - no harm no foul... do your thing ! :YEAH
Old 11-14-2006, 10:13 AM

PLAYA-P will become famous soon enoughPLAYA-P will become famous soon enough

8 out of 12 of ur paragraphs start with "I"
Old 11-14-2006, 10:24 AM

R1Aaron is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
if i only had a nickel for everytime i shoulda gotten a thank you or a shoutout....
Bro, if I had a nickel for every time someone calls or emails to ***** about not being in the mag...hell, I probably made $2.50 already this morning!

"I was there, why was I not in the magazine!" Or, my favorite, "I was in the magazine, why was I not on the cover," or "Why was there only one pic of me in there, not three or four at least..." or "Why was my story only three pages long, not twelve..." or "Why did you show the right side of my bike and not the left that shows such and such sticker..." and on and on...

Listen, there's no vast conspiracy against the Sic Riders or Nate or anyone. The story in question is about SSB's Bike Night Out event. Almost 3,000 paying fans showed up for that event. There were two street rides that same day (Ruff Ryders and Racing 905), each of which attracted roughly 800 riders to quote-unquote "Kill The Streets" (shaking head...). There were two dozen models in a fashion show, and countless model wanna-bes in the model search. There were roughly 75 custom bikes that showed up. Three dozen vendors that paid to display. Three pro stunt riders that we paid a lot of money to ride. Countless volunteers to pull it all off. We had room for six pages, 800 words and 38 pictures. Apologies to the hundreds of you that we failed to recognize publicly, including every last one of the sic riders.

Maybe we didn't get a picture of Nate. Maybe we did, and it wasn't a good one. Who knows... And even if we did get a good one of him with the cop car, we probably wouldn't have used it. For better or for worse, publishing SSB isn't about putting out a fan zine just to give props to our friends. It literally costs millions of dollars to produce, sell, print and distribute a title like this, and all it takes is one newsstand purchasing agent anywhere inside Wal-Mart to see something he or she doesn't like (a dude wheelying down a crowded so-cal highway with a cop on his tail, for example) and petition to have us pulled from their newsstands nationwide and there goes 15%-20% of our total newsstand sales. It's happened before to Primedia's car mags...hell, they did it to bands like Nirvana and Korn, they won't stop for a piddly moto mag. Like I said, for better or for worse, that's our reality, sorry if it doesn't live up to your expectations. We could do a different mag that gets away with a lot more content wise, but you'll have a hell of a time finding it in every convenience store and WalMart in bum-fsck nowhere and it ain't going to bring near as much money or attention to this sport.

If it's any consolation, though, the custom bike guys are even bigger cry babies than stunters...
Old 11-14-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by PLAYA-P
8 out of 12 of ur paragraphs start with "I"
Yeah, I scrub articles for that. Mainly it's first person because I'm speaking from my own experience. So I try not to appear as if giving some universal viewpoint when really it is just mine.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:12 AM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kaneone

-kane
agreed, not complaining, just axin'
Old 11-14-2006, 11:45 AM

Jessica Maine is a decent person

Originally Posted by R1Aaron
Bro, if I had a nickel for every time someone calls or emails to ***** about not being in the mag...hell, I probably made $2.50 already this morning!

"I was there, why was I not in the magazine!" Or, my favorite, "I was in the magazine, why was I not on the cover," or "Why was there only one pic of me in there, not three or four at least..." or "Why was my story only three pages long, not twelve..." or "Why did you show the right side of my bike and not the left that shows such and such sticker..." and on and on...

Listen, there's no vast conspiracy against the Sic Riders or Nate or anyone. The story in question is about SSB's Bike Night Out event. Almost 3,000 paying fans showed up for that event. There were two street rides that same day (Ruff Ryders and Racing 905), each of which attracted roughly 800 riders to quote-unquote "Kill The Streets" (shaking head...). There were two dozen models in a fashion show, and countless model wanna-bes in the model search. There were roughly 75 custom bikes that showed up. Three dozen vendors that paid to display. Three pro stunt riders that we paid a lot of money to ride. Countless volunteers to pull it all off. We had room for six pages, 800 words and 38 pictures. Apologies to the hundreds of you that we failed to recognize publicly, including every last one of the sic riders.

Maybe we didn't get a picture of Nate. Maybe we did, and it wasn't a good one. Who knows... And even if we did get a good one of him with the cop car, we probably wouldn't have used it. For better or for worse, publishing SSB isn't about putting out a fan zine just to give props to our friends. It literally costs millions of dollars to produce, sell, print and distribute a title like this, and all it takes is one newsstand purchasing agent anywhere inside Wal-Mart to see something he or she doesn't like (a dude wheelying down a crowded so-cal highway with a cop on his tail, for example) and petition to have us pulled from their newsstands nationwide and there goes 15%-20% of our total newsstand sales. It's happened before to Primedia's car mags...hell, they did it to bands like Nirvana and Korn, they won't stop for a piddly moto mag. Like I said, for better or for worse, that's our reality, sorry if it doesn't live up to your expectations. We could do a different mag that gets away with a lot more content wise, but you'll have a hell of a time finding it in every convenience store and WalMart in bum-fsck nowhere and it ain't going to bring near as much money or attention to this sport.

If it's any consolation, though, the custom bike guys are even bigger cry babies than stunters...
wub ya aaron bo baron head!!! hahahahahaa...

there gave ya some love!

Quick Reply: New SSB Mag!