gearing advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 06:34 PM

glasstechaudio is an unknown quantity at this point
gearing advice

hi everybody!! ok i know this has probably already been brought up before but all i see when i search is archives... which i can't open for some reason. so, i've got an 04 1000rr and first gear is useless to me right now. it's way too touchy and second won't let me go slow enough. so i want to change the gearing on it but i don't know the first thing about gearing. i need to either make first less touchy or make second go slow enough to be usefull for slow stuff. so what type of gearing should i go with? i don't care if it takes off top end, i don't need to go all that fast anyway. i need you guys to be as specific as possible please. BTW i'm not all that good yet. i can rock some slow shat for a little bit but the throttle is way too sensitive for me to maintain BP especially with anything slightly technical. i know, i know... practice practice practice and i'll get used to the throttle. but if i can make it a little more managable then why not???
Old 11-12-2006, 06:36 PM

ssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of light
Re: gearing advice

dont gear it every gear will be twitchy then
Old 11-12-2006, 06:39 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by glasstechaudio
hi everybody!! ok i know this has probably already been brought up before but all i see when i search is archives... which i can't open for some reason. so, i've got an 04 1000rr and first gear is useless to me right now. it's way too touchy and second won't let me go slow enough. so i want to change the gearing on it but i don't know the first thing about gearing. i need to either make first less touchy or make second go slow enough to be usefull for slow stuff. so what type of gearing should i go with? i don't care if it takes off top end, i don't need to go all that fast anyway. i need you guys to be as specific as possible please. BTW i'm not all that good yet. i can rock some slow shat for a little bit but the throttle is way too sensitive for me to maintain BP especially with anything slightly technical. i know, i know... practice practice practice and i'll get used to the throttle. but if i can make it a little more managable then why not???
your on a 1liter you dont need gears, blurp it to BP from almost a dead stop you dont need gears to slow wheelie
Old 11-12-2006, 06:46 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

E RacK can only hope to improve

yeah, a 520 kit wont even do you much good, what are you trying to do on it?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by E RacK
yeah, a 520 kit wont even do you much good, what are you trying to do on it?
dont listen to this guy, he doesnt know ****
Old 11-12-2006, 07:05 PM

322efonic is an unknown quantity at this point

no way a 520 kit i knew i need that to do idle ups
Old 11-12-2006, 07:06 PM

ssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 322efonic
no way a 520 kit i knew i need that to do idle ups

Dude they are called "no speed wheelies"
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by ssteve
Dude they are called "no speed wheelies"
aka "the SHKWHEELIE"
Old 11-12-2006, 07:47 PM

i know i don't "need" gearing to get it up from a dead stop, i can do that already. the problem is the throttle is so damn touchy that once i get it up i have to fight it to keep it up, cause it bucks like a horny fat girl. i was just wondering if i could make 2nd useable at very slow speeds cause i figured it may be less touchy. kinda like puttin 2nd in between were 1st and 2nd used to be. could i just go down a few teeth on the rear instead of adding teeth and then just turn up the idle so i could still do my slow stuff and still use 1st? wouldn't that make it less touchy and if so how many teeth should i go?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:49 PM

the problem is the throttle is so damn touchy that once i get it up i have to fight it to keep it up, cause it bucks like a horny fat girl.
sounds like you have a bucking problem and you need to clutch that thing down
Old 11-12-2006, 07:53 PM

i know i don't "need" gearing to get it up from a dead stop, i can do that already. the problem is the throttle is so damn touchy that once i get it up i have to fight it to keep it up, cause it bucks like a horny fat girl. i was just wondering if i could make 2nd useable at very slow speeds cause i figured it may be less touchy. kinda like puttin 2nd in between were 1st and 2nd used to be. could i just go down a few teeth on the rear instead of adding teeth and then just turn up the idle so i could still do my slow stuff and still use 1st? wouldn't that make it less touchy and if so how many teeth should i go?
Listen very carefuly......... NO IT WILL NOT HELP YOU! You would be waisting your money. Raising your idle wont do anything unless your holding your wheelies at speeds under that rpm... which your not. Gearing wont help you unless your stalling the bike out going to slow.... which your not
Old 11-12-2006, 11:00 PM

well crap. i could probably ride the rear break a little more to keep it under control. i'll just keep on practicing and get used to it, i was just curious as to weather or not there was an easier way. thanks everyone.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:07 PM

well crap. i could probably ride the rear break a little more to keep it under control. i'll just keep on practicing and get used to it, i was just curious as to weather or not there was an easier way. thanks everyone.
If it was easy everyone would be doing it Just lean back lock your throttle hand and use the rear brake to slow it down or speed it up, that should help with it being choppy:YEAH
Old 11-12-2006, 11:10 PM

$$$$DINO$$$$ is a decent person

you need a different bike trade it in or something for something else
Old 11-12-2006, 11:13 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

Originally Posted by $$$$DINO$$$$
you need a different bike trade it in or something for something else
there you go.

Slow stunting a 1000rr is for experts only. Its not a bike you want to learn on, trust me on this, if you're lucky it will just hold you back, if your unlucky you'll have some wrecks that wouldn't ever have taken place if you had a six hundred. Ive slow stunted lots of literbikes and the 1000rr is the b1tch of the bunch.
The thing's an abomination, way way too twitchy. You'll have a lot more fun learning slow stuff on a six hundred.
Gears will make the twitchiness worse but will make your crashes slower so they hurt less.

Idle will make it less twitchy but you gotta be good with using the rear brake when you go to Idle up. If you dont have your rear brake control down, you will crash.
good luck

Darius used to kill it on a 1000rr but then again he's not human.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:17 PM

Someone once told me that I should get an F4i cause they are like really good for slow stuff.... I didnt listen, but you should.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:28 PM

322efonic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ssteve
If it was easy everyone would be doing it Just lean back lock your throttle hand and use the rear brake to slow it down or speed it up, that should help with it being choppy:YEAH
cant everyone do them though
Old 11-12-2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by 322efonic
cant everyone do them though
Everyone seems to THINK they can, but we all know how true that is. Im not one to talk though, my no speed shkwheelies are suffering big time
Old 11-13-2006, 02:07 PM

i'd love to get an f4i but i owe more on the bike than i could sell it for with the condition its in now. it is a twitchy ***** though. on the other hand, if i learn on a 1000rr then move to a 600 i'll be badass. anyone want a 1000rr??
Old 11-13-2006, 02:42 PM

on the other hand, if i learn on a 1000rr then move to a 600 i'll be badass. anyone want a 1000rr??
Chances are, NO. most likely you will just crash more and fvck up a 1000 instead of a cheap 600

Quick Reply: gearing advice