aftermarket or stock clutch plates..

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:47 AM
life is good......BRAAAP!

-nelson will become famous soon enough
aftermarket or stock clutch plates..

I ve always used Barnett, steel/friction & springs , but I just put some" EBC street racer? kit" frictions in a couple weeks ago and my clutch is already slipping. I only used it to get around Daytona for bike week ,and some quarter mile wheelies at a drag strip we did a show at. Then today @ the spot I did a couple slow sitdowns to scrape w/ no problem but the first clutch up w/ second it started slippin ..

I was wondering if anyone had any input on if stock clutch plate kits are as strong and last as long as ,say barnett or any other aftermarket companys ? Or opinions on which plates can handle ,strictly clutchin up wheelies the best?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Wheelie Ninja!

Kaneone is a decent person
Re: aftermarket or stock clutch plates..

In my exp... stock! always go stock. if I have to use an aftermarket in a pinch ill go barnett,
Ive always found the EBCs to be garbage

if you DO go aftermarket make sure you use the stock springs, otherwise that clutch will be hell to pull

-kane
Old 11-06-2006, 01:10 AM

Scott982 is a decent person

stock ....ebc is garbage
Old 11-06-2006, 01:23 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

stock always
Old 11-06-2006, 01:44 AM

no doubt , thanks for the input im goin back to stock I should know this I went to MMI 10 yrs ago....
Old 11-06-2006, 01:51 AM

rocketrider4lif is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by N.Andrews
I ve always used Barnett, steel/friction & springs , but I just put some" EBC street racer? kit" frictions in a couple weeks ago and my clutch is already slipping. I only used it to get around Daytona for bike week ,and some quarter mile wheelies at a drag strip we did a show at. Then today @ the spot I did a couple slow sitdowns to scrape w/ no problem but the first clutch up w/ second it started slippin ..

I was wondering if anyone had any input on if stock clutch plate kits are as strong and last as long as ,say barnett or any other aftermarket companys ? Or opinions on which plates can handle ,strictly clutchin up wheelies the best?
stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats the only way to go!!!!!!!!:YEAH
Old 11-06-2006, 01:52 AM

rocketrider4lif is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by N.Andrews
no doubt , thanks for the input im goin back to stock I should know this I went to MMI 10 yrs ago....

im there now!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by rocketrider4lif
im there now!!!
right on i went to the one in orlando I took the PWC elective after the motorcycle , it was def, worth it thats what I do during the summer I have a jetski repair business.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:27 AM

ssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of light

The funny thing is that ebc contracts out to some big names to make there clutch plates and brake pads. I think honda is the only one that makes their own. I used them in my f3 and they worked fine but my friend has had some problems with them in his f4i.... I have heard that the kind of oil you soke them in has a large effect on the way they perform. Try leaving your new plates in standard oil for at least 6 hours and dont stack them on each other.... you can use whatever oil in the bike however.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:33 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

heat cycle is the secret ride like a squid for at least 5 heat cycles you know ride for at least 20 mins at atime and let cool completly
Old 11-06-2006, 02:41 AM

I think Ive soaked the plates in oil back in the day ,but not for that long I usually ust give them a good coating of what I use 1040. Ive never tried that heat cycle though.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:42 AM
also known as OMR

heat cycle and no synthetic for one oil change ......1500 miles at least....unless your hard core stunting then lees time of course
Old 11-06-2006, 02:44 AM

ssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by old man roger
heat cycle is the secret ride like a squid for at least 5 heat cycles you know ride for at least 20 mins at atime and let cool completly

I have heard this too, but I have alys just beat the right out the gate andnever had any problems. Im not sayin thats the ight way or anthing, jut that I haent had any problems with mine. this is what I always dowhen I do my clutch
1. get honda 20-50 and put each clutch plate in an indavidual zip-lockbag and fill. let sit all day.(min 6 hours)
2.install
3.fill bike with sythetic blend oil
4. get up to running temp
5. select gear, rev.....dump clutch
Old 11-06-2006, 02:52 AM

I dont use synthetic ,all I primarily use the bike for is stunting I dont really pay attenntion to the miles between oil changes like when it was new ,ill do at like the beginning of the season (spring) or if I have to do the plates ,so
ill be changing it 3 times already now. thanx for all the input its mad late up here in the northeast 2:50 ,& gotta work in the morning.............
Old 11-06-2006, 02:53 AM
also known as OMR

answer your pm
Old 11-06-2006, 08:19 AM

carm3twenty2 is a decent person

i,ve put 1 clutch in my bike,since 1998,the bike has 52,000 + on it .yes 52,000, put oem clutchs only in your bike, and change the oil every1000, miles.bike and clutch will last forever.