Pro or AM, which are you??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:21 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold
Re: Pro or AM, which are you??

Originally Posted by Darius
I think that pretty much goes for everyone though. If I could do the **** I've done in a lot at a comp I would win everyone.
i would like to see you and gary just kick it in a lot together the new tricks that would come out of that session would be sick

thats when everyone seems to push it. when they are just having a good time and riding with friends
Old 11-04-2006, 01:52 PM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bruno_z
in my book, you are a pro if this is your primary occupation, from which you have something...if you present your riding at shows, competitions or such...if your bag of tricks is wide enough to make a show , to interest somebody in what you are doing, and make them say WTF?!?! If you can perform (most of) the tricks you execute with 99% efficiency...

and with all that, you should know how to behave as a pro...
I think at some point everyone needs to distinguish between competition riding and exhibition stunting.

Shows are not judged. You can make money all day long doing shows, but I think in order to keep things well organized and something a board can regulate, the shows and points system need to be kept separate. Accumulation of a certain amount of competition points being what puts a person over the line between competitive pro and competitive amateur. And the shows, well, if you're making money at shows, you're a pro stunt performer. That way stunters can choose to be one or the other or both.

The styles should probably be different too, since the technical tricks that wow you guys seem to not be as impressive to the show crowds as burnouts and christs. JMO

Last edited by excessa; 11-04-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:06 PM

DUMPstar is an unknown quantity at this point

ok im pro. there it`s started who is gonna be a pro with me?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't even consider myself an Amatuer.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bruno_z
Ok, to the whole post, but... ^^ let's say you don't place good enough to enter this, aldo you can still kick someone's/everyones's *** in certain trick (longest/fastest no hander, most circles per min., sickest trick or whatever)...is this ok?
The whole point I'm trying to make is if this sport wants to crown a #1 per'se then that is exactly what the XDL show should be for. The XDL show is not a d|ck waggin' contest in terms of who can do the longest stoppie or the most consecutive circles in 1 minute. I would assume that was not Thomas' original plan for the XDL show. Now, maybe at the prelims for the XDL show you can qualify for a "best trick" contest. These are all just ideas that I've been thinking of, but again the XDL show is stricly the playoffs for the big show.

It's kind of like the pro-bowl, you have to do good the duration of a season to qualify for the pro-bowl and at that point you are allowed to go. It's an honor to be invited to the pro-bowl. It's all about your all around performance, not one single act or in our case one single stunt.

As for the Christian Pfeiffer comment and the XDL show being international, that again is not the point of the XDL show. We are trying to see who is #1 in the U.S., not worldwide. If Thomas wants to make this event international I'm sure he could do that but again I don't think that is the intention of future XDL shows.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Regular StuntLifer

nsaneobsession is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Thomas will get the stunt game to go mainstream over time and its gonna be ALOT of bugs to work out .I know Thomas and I dont see eye to eye sometimes but he is one of the best things for the sport.And Im sure others would like to see more mainstream contest more centrally located so that more stunters will have the oppurtunity to go to them cause everyone knows with todays GAS prices its hard to do ****,and hopefully the judging will get better also.......I watched a pro motorcross event on tape the other night and they had like 8 judges ,one for this and one for that and I think that might help also.........................but for the question of the post im a pro a55hole and a AM stunter(my wife hates it so i never practice.......................................... .Thomas hit me up via pm when you get a chance holla
Old 11-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Embrace the Hate

EZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by T-Dubby
I wouldn't even consider myself an Amatuer.
:YEAH can somebody start a wanna-am class?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:43 AM

Twite is an unknown quantity at this point

Pro vs Am is VERY vague right now in this sport. Lines have be drawn somewhere, and I think these big competitions are a good place to start.

All I've done is XDL East.....so AM for me! (at least until next year!!)

I look forward to some structure in 2007!!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:55 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by excessa
I think at some point everyone needs to distinguish between competition riding and exhibition stunting.

Shows are not judged. You can make money all day long doing shows, but I think in order to keep things well organized and something a board can regulate, the shows and points system need to be kept separate. Accumulation of a certain amount of competition points being what puts a person over the line between competitive pro and competitive amateur. And the shows, well, if you're making money at shows, you're a pro stunt performer. That way stunters can choose to be one or the other or both.

The styles should probably be different too, since the technical tricks that wow you guys seem to not be as impressive to the show crowds as burnouts and christs. JMO
agree...im not trying to put show and comp as equal cuz it's 2 different things, just trying to say that your can't be a pro if you do not perform - if you just ride by yourself or your crew on some deserted lot...you can KILL that lot, but still you don't have "pro status" in my opinion...
Old 11-05-2006, 02:02 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr. Farley
The whole point I'm trying to make is if this sport wants to crown a #1 per'se then that is exactly what the XDL show should be for. The XDL show is not a d|ck waggin' contest in terms of who can do the longest stoppie or the most consecutive circles in 1 minute. I would assume that was not Thomas' original plan for the XDL show. Now, maybe at the prelims for the XDL show you can qualify for a "best trick" contest. These are all just ideas that I've been thinking of, but again the XDL show is stricly the playoffs for the big show.

It's kind of like the pro-bowl, you have to do good the duration of a season to qualify for the pro-bowl and at that point you are allowed to go. It's an honor to be invited to the pro-bowl. It's all about your all around performance, not one single act or in our case one single stunt.
yes, I understand if your looking for #1 it must be #1 overall, but if you have individual events at stuntwars as lets say top US competition how you put it, then someone who is really good at that individual (whatever it is) should be able to compete...so if he wins that single title, it doesn't mean he is #1 overall, just #1 in that certain trick...
Old 11-05-2006, 03:44 AM
SERVIN IT UP

Darius is a decent person

Originally Posted by suicidl
i would like to see you and gary just kick it in a lot together the new tricks that would come out of that session would be sick

thats when everyone seems to push it. when they are just having a good time and riding with friends

Ya I agree 100% it's the main reason I show up to stuntwars a week early every year, too bad so many other big name riders hide out at secret spots instead of hangin out and having fun. Too busy practicing thier "secret" routines. I'm not even sure I'm going this year. 52 hour drive each way. 4k expense,for what? Definatly aint for the show. Its' just to hang out with everyone for the week before, **** I might even drive there and leave on fri:YEAH
Old 11-05-2006, 05:10 AM

Manny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DSOG Thomas
ok then who is active pro???

Teach
Darius
Kane
Woods
Bill D
Joe V
A brunelle
J brunelle
Rick Payne
Dan Jackson
Josh Clem
Aaron Colton
Warren Jamez
J-beatz
T-neck
Joe Molina
Jason Britton
Hoenshell
Patrick Stephens
Brando
Alex Flores
Jason Pullen
Legion John
Ryan Lanier
Borne??

who am I forgetting?
Old 11-05-2006, 05:16 AM

Manny is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry... Im Trying to gain weight & blow cobwebs from the bike but anyway More Popcorn pleaze!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07188.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	183163  
Old 11-05-2006, 09:30 AM

Hazen is a decent person

I would deffinitley enter AM since it would be my first comp - but there are deffinitley ppl that should only be allowed to enter Pro.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:32 AM

DUMPstar is an unknown quantity at this point

just curious shouldnt there be a set of guidelines if you could enter am or pro like if you can do 500ft stoppies off peg coasters and circle combos etc etc i dont think you should be able to enter am just because its your first comp. is that me or do other people feel that way???????
Old 11-05-2006, 09:57 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

There are so many differnet ways this could go at the details end.

I also just know this is going to come together. When I look at the combined juice you guys have here, there's nothing that can hold you back. All the MCs promoters organizers etc, have been regularly accomplishing miracles and pulling off the impossible on their own. They have great information about what works and what doesn't, and probably the closest idea of how this can come together.

Plus, these are the guys who won't wait for it to do itself.

I'm out of control excited to see what shakes out of this.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:59 AM
www.TheXtremeShow.com

FrankieG is an unknown quantity at this point

NO need to reinvent the wheel here.....!

It's as simple as using an existing model, Like AMA, Nascar, NBL, ect....The list goes on... and tweek it to fit!!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 12:15 PM

Good point. I keep looking at it from just what I've seen of this sport, and making a few comparisons here and there, trying to offer up any thoughts, worthless or not. But I'm not aware enough of the sport business model to draw credible parallels. And you're right, the path has already been walked down, so the people who have already btdt are the ones to talk to.

AMA has existed long enough that the people at the genesis of structured AMA events are probably not even available to talk to. Those who helped gel FMX or some of the newer sports may be around somewhere and could probably offer good information about making it all fit.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:25 PM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Manny
Sorry... Im Trying to gain weight & blow cobwebs from the bike but anyway More Popcorn pleaze!

fool what you tell me the other day?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person

if you get paid to travel around and do stunt shows you are professional, if your not a professional in your own eyes, then you SHOULDNT be doing shows and getting paid for them because your putting a bad representation of the sport into the public's eyes.....

Quick Reply: Pro or AM, which are you??