Super Streetbike magazine--the deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 06:33 PM

R1Aaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Super Streetbike magazine--the deal

Hey Guys (and Gals):

My name is Aaron Frank, senior editor at Motorcyclist magazine and also the editor of Super Streetbike--the new custom sportbike/stunt mag that Erika and others were discussing here a few days ago. Glad you thought the magazine was cool. I'll try to answer some of your questions here.

Super Streetbike is published by Primedia, the same company that does Motorcyclist and Sport Rider magazines. This first issue is what is called a "single issue publication." It's sort of an exploratory product, to see if there is enough of a demand in the market to support a extreme sportbike/stunt title in addition to all the other motorcycle mags currently out there (I think there is, by the way). This one will be on newsstands for a few months this summer, after which the powers that be at Primedia will look at ad sales, newsstand sales, and reader feedback and decide if there is enough interest to justify making it a regular bi-monthly (or monthly) magazine. So if you like this magazine and want to see more, MAKE SURE TO TELL US. Let me know here, or drop an email to ssbmail@primedia.com (note: that account isn't open now, but will be active in about a week).

This first issue is newsstand-only--subscriptions aren't available yet. Drop date is mid-May, so by the middle of next month you should be able to find this first issue anywhere that you would usually see Motorcyclist, Sport Rider, Dirt Rider or any of Primedia's other titles (which is just about every convenience store, grocery or bookstore in America). Those copies that you guys got down in Florida are sorta sneak previews--the printer screwed up and shipped them out too early. In fact, we haven't even seen them here in the office yet--you guys are literally the first.

Regarding photos, we bought a bunch of stunt shots from Joe Appel, a Pittsburgh-based shooter. The "Freestyle Nation" pics are from last summer's XSBA event at Pocono. Most the the "Scene" shots were taken at the Starboyz/PBRiders sportbike fest in March at Bike Week. I don't know where the cover shot of Dan Jackson is from (maybe Pocono?) or the backpage shot of Erika. Sorry.

Anyways, that's that. I'm glad you guys are excited about it. I'm jacked--I think it's pretty cool that you can finally see a stunter on the cover (!) of a mainstream motorcycle magazine. And trust me--it wasn't easy selling a conservative company like Primedia on the (potentially controversial) concept of a stunt mag, so if you've got some encouraging comments, let them flow.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 04-21-2003, 06:55 PM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

RedlineJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Super Streetbike magazine--the deal

Originally posted by R1Aaron
Regarding photos, we bought a bunch of stunt shots from Joe Appel, a Pittsburgh-based shooter. The "Freestyle Nation" pics are from last summer's XSBA event at Pocono. Most the the "Scene" shots were taken at the Starboyz/PBRiders sportbike fest in March at Bike Week. I don't know where the cover shot of Dan Jackson is from (maybe Pocono?) or the backpage shot of Erika. Sorry.
Thanks,
Aaron
Thanks for the information and the Magazine looks like it is going to be sweet.

In regards to Photos for future magazines, be sure to get in contact with Dave Avila(Foto Dave) as he is probably the best in this industry! Have him send you some examples and I gaurantee you will not be disapointed.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:20 PM
A Few Loose Screws - DVD

CRAZY DAN is a decent person
cover shot looks like it was from Starboyz Stuntfest last summer at Thompson.

The mag. looks like its going to be sweet and def looks like it will get the attention of any normal day joe buying snacks at the local gas station. I wil keep my eyes peeled for the release and def spread the word!

Good luck on the future with this, you def have all of our support!!!

Dan
Old 04-21-2003, 08:35 PM
I Love To Post!

WETPAVEMENT is a decent person
Well it definetly has my attention along with a few of the guys in my immediate area. You can bet that I'll spread the word.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:34 PM

JONESER is a decent person
Those copies that you guys got down in Florida are sorta sneak previews--the printer screwed up and shipped them out too early. In fact, we haven't even seen them here in the office yet--you guys are literally the first.

WOOO HOOO!!
I'm one of the first! That's the first time I've ever been told that...hehe
Yeah, the 'zine is sweet and really good coverage for the sport.

I HOPE the sales are as good as hoped to make this 'zine a monthly thing!

I'll spread the word, but I believe that Erika has gotten just about all the bases covered.

LATERS
Old 04-22-2003, 12:38 PM

NoNameStunter is an unknown quantity at this point
The magazine looked cool so far. When I get my hands on one and read it I will tell you what I think. Hopefully the articles give a good description of the riders and the stunt community.
P.S. someone told me that the show on speedvision was ******* us saying we were wannabe Evil K.
Whats up with that. I don't ride a harley nor do I jump my bike.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:20 PM
Stunt Pimp

Pat-trick is an unknown quantity at this point
i loved the magazine . it is perfect. i wil do my best to spread the word and pump the magazine up .

every one needs to go out and buy as many issues as they can and tell every one to do the same . we need this magazine.

the sport needs this magazine . every gas station , every super market, every news stand in america needs to stock them .

i found out about it last fri. and they are already sold out here in the dallas / ft.worth metoplex !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let me know if i can help

Old 04-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Renegade Distribution

Erika is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by CRAZY DAN
cover shot looks like it was from Starboyz Stuntfest last summer at Thompson.

The mag. looks like its going to be sweet and def looks like it will get the attention of any normal day joe buying snacks at the local gas station. I wil keep my eyes peeled for the release and def spread the word!

Good luck on the future with this, you def have all of our support!!!

Dan
The picture of me and the boys is from the same (Starboyz Stuntfest)...I must say I'm happy to be a part of the maiden voyage of Super Streetbike, even as the outtake.. ...It's most certainly a step in the right direction, I'm happy to spread the word!!!!! Altho I'm sure with a cover like Dan and content as it is I'm sure you'll have no problem, blowing it off the shelves.Since posting I've been asked by people all over the US where they can get it...Thank you for comming to SL and answering the questions of so many...Good luck keep it going!!!!And what Dan said... you have all of our support!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Regular StuntLifer

WestCoast Films is an unknown quantity at this point
Aaron,

'Zine looks great...if you need anything let us know. We'll do whatever we can to spread the word.

-tyson
WestCoast Filmworks
Old 04-22-2003, 04:17 PM

Imortl77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mag looks sweet. I'll be pickin up a copy...
Old 04-23-2003, 11:46 PM

jw7/11 is an unknown quantity at this point
wow@!!

i found a copy at my local dealership here in town! i was so excited that they had one! who wouldve of thought they'd have one in IL of all places!!
Old 04-24-2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by BoyLandBabe
The picture of me and the boys is from the same (Starboyz Stuntfest)...I must say I'm happy to be a part of the maiden voyage of Super Streetbike, even as the outtake.. ...It's most certainly a step in the right direction, I'm happy to spread the word!!!!! Altho I'm sure with a cover like Dan and content as it is I'm sure you'll have no problem, blowing it off the shelves.Since posting I've been asked by people all over the US where they can get it...Thank you for comming to SL and answering the questions of so many...Good luck keep it going!!!!And what Dan said... you have all of our support!!!
Erika: Don't slag on the back page--in the mag world, that's considered prime placement. Think about how many times you pick up a mag on the newstand and start thumbing through it backwards. We're also going to circulate a few of these internationally. In Japan they read right to left, so you're like on the front page of any issues to make it to Japan. You're excited now, aren't you?

Anyways, about finding the issue: it should be on newsstands nationally by mid-May, so everyone should have no problem finding it in a few weeks. And it has a display 'til Aug. 5 date, so it will be out there all summer. But just in case you live in a land without Kwik-Trips and never see it, and still want a copy, you can always order one through Primedia's back orders department:

(800)429-0106 toll-free in US
(863)683-8807 outside US
backissues@the-direct-source.com

Aaron
Old 04-25-2003, 03:15 AM

Scrapyard is an unknown quantity at this point
It's nice to see Primedia taking a personal approach to this genra of motorcycling. From that, I'm sure we can expect a quality mag. I second Jimmy's comment. If you have interest in a freelance photographer, deffinatly contact Dave (foto) Avila. He's got a great eye and is very in tune with the sport. I'll be keeping an eye out for the mag.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:02 AM
Stunlife's #1 Gimp!

Shaggy is an unknown quantity at this point
I loved the magazine, and everyone I showed it to loved it also. It's refreshing to see a magazine the focuses on things other than twisties. I like hitting twisties as much as the next guy but since just about every magazine out there devotes much of its printspace to twisties it's getting repetative. It seems like all motorcycle magazines look down their noses at stunting, yet they all feature pictures of bikes doing wheelies and occasionally stoppies. I've also never understood how doing a wheelie is so frowned upon but hitting a sweeper at 150mph in a 50mph zone is so accepted. I appreciate the fact that your magazine has hit the stands with it's eyes wide open. Keep up the good work.

Oh, one small complaint - How could a magazine dedicated to stunting not have an interview with the one guy that has done more for raising awareness of the sport than anyone else -Shugga lol
Old 04-25-2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Scrapyard
It's nice to see Primedia taking a personal approach to this genra of motorcycling. From that, I'm sure we can expect a quality mag. I second Jimmy's comment. If you have interest in a freelance photographer, deffinatly contact Dave (foto) Avila. He's got a great eye and is very in tune with the sport. I'll be keeping an eye out for the mag.
OK, who can get me digits for the esteemed Mr. Avila? Or, if someone can pass on the message, have him ping me at apfrank@charter.net

Rock on,
Aaron
Old 04-26-2003, 02:38 AM

ATown1K is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

I"ll be looking out for it up here N WI. I think that it will be nice to see what's going on. Another way to help the Stunters grow.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:18 AM

Scrapyard is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by R1Aaron
OK, who can get me digits for the esteemed Mr. Avila? Or, if someone can pass on the message, have him ping me at apfrank@charter.net

Rock on,
Aaron
I have his email and my buddy has his digits. I'll PM them too you.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:03 AM
OGStunter

Todd Colbert is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks great...hey pull my finger!!!!

Great to see a mainstream company put a stunter on the cover
Old 04-29-2003, 08:34 PM

PRESTON is an unknown quantity at this point
I will give mad props to Foto for his photography skillz. It is hard to find a man who knows the sport like him and knows what kind of pictures we are looking for. Camera angles, close ups and a straight out shot. He is the best I have seen in this sport.

Will look forward to the magazine and post a link on my website to this thread.

I am sure all teams are willing to send in pictures and a little bit about themselves. I know I would like to, maybe then Shuggs will take me out of the up and coming

Quick Reply: Super Streetbike magazine--the deal