Why keep it underground......

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:56 AM

Borne is a jewel in the roughBorne is a jewel in the roughBorne is a jewel in the rough
Why keep it underground......

I've always wondered this and never really gotten an answer. Guess I got a little fired up after reading some of the posts in the X-games thread. I just don't get it. Why would anyone want to keep this sport underground? I don't see the point of practicing everyday putting my heart and soul into something that isn't going anywhere. We sacrafice blood, bones, skin, ligaments, sweat, bike parts, money, time.....list goes one. Why would anyone wanna sacrafice so much for something that isn't going anywhere. Maybe its my opinion and no one else feels the same, but I know I for one would not practice as hard or sacrafice as much if I didn't have the hope of it going somewhere someday. If I didn't see the sport going anywhere, I'd just buy a pretty bike and rock stand-ups, sit-downs and seatstanders all day and go put the effort into motocross or something.

I think the sport will grow according to the attitude of the riders. We "the people risking everything" have to view it as a sport before anyone else will. If you just go **** around on the streets to impress the chicks, then obviously thats not going to grow into a respectable sport. Now, if you practice hard all the time and have goals to push the sport to the next level, I believe it'll grow into something the masses will respect and love. I know theres a few people out there doing what they can to help this along and I just hope I can be a part of it.

So again I ask...Why sacrafice so much for something you don't feel is going anywhere?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:04 AM

MentallyTwisted is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why keep it underground......

it will turn out like FMX.....to even be close to the top u'll have to be able to pull double backflips
Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by timex
So again I ask...Why sacrafice so much for something you don't feel is going anywhere?
Because I love to wheelie
Old 08-08-2006, 10:46 AM

Borne is a jewel in the roughBorne is a jewel in the roughBorne is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MikeM

Thats why I say though....

Why ride a crunchy piece and risk life and limb to acheive new tricks rather than have a minty bike and rock simple ****?

Just tired of people saying, I wanna keep it underground. Why??

Edit: .....yes, I'm bored and asking retarded questions that don't mean ****. Just trying to pass time and see what people think.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:52 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by timex
Thats why I say though....

Why ride a crunchy piece and risk life and limb to acheive new tricks rather than have a minty bike and rock simple ****?

Just tired of people saying, I wanna keep it underground. Why??
I dont rock a minty bike because I KNOW im going to wreck it.
After you do something so many times it loses its appeal so you want to do something more challenging.
That really doesnt have much to do with keeping it underground, thats more about the potential for trouble from cops.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:55 AM

KF_Chris is a decent person

I just like stunting. it's fun. it is a pricey hobby but I think that it's worth it for the fun factor. If it gets big, I'll be happy, if it doesn't, I'll be disappointed that the general public doesn't get to see what "we" can do on/with a motorcycle and a talented rider.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:06 AM

Joe 636 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stuntin motorcycles is a hobby for me as well...if it gets big, if it doesn't, really doesn't concern me. I do it because I love it...I'll love it if it gets big or stays underground. I don't practice for anyone else, I practice for myself and because I enjoy pushing my abilities to the limits. I like the satisfaction of finally learning a trick after practicing it for weeks, months, whatever. I ride a crunchy bike and take risks with my life so that I can live...some people may not understand that.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:39 AM

I agree completely that its a hobby and its fun, but wouldn't you like to see more competitions and maybe a few televised events? I just don't see how someone can blatantly say "I want to keep this sport underground." Why?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:49 AM

Well, to be honest...I am currently working on putting together a stunt competition here in New Orleans in the November time frame. I know a lot of promoters around here and though they've never promoted stunt bike competitions, I have them sold on the idea it can make them money. I will be working on getting some big names out to New Orleans and getting it televised....at the very least, I will have a video made. It's all in the works right now...I will let everyone know more about it once I get further along.

*So I am doing my part in making the sport grow...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Joe636
Well, to be honest...I am currently working on putting together a stunt competition here in New Orleans in the November time frame. I know a lot of promoters around here and though they've never promoted stunt bike competitions, I have them sold on the idea it can make them money. I will be working on getting some big names out to New Orleans and getting it televised....at the very least, I will have a video made. It's all in the works right now...I will let everyone know more about it once I get further along.

*So I am doing my part in making the sport grow...

Good work homie. Good to hear of more comps in the mid-usa area. Seems like unless you live in cali or on the east coast you're **** outta luck for comps.

....that is, unless you have a sponsor willing to front gas money.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 PM

Ponis is an unknown quantity at this point

it will get big im sure, all we need is a few more kanes and we are set

as far as my opinion, its all up to the rider... some want to go mainstream... some dont... dont matter what happends... were all still gonna ride :YEAH
Old 08-08-2006, 12:53 PM

Very true...."We're all still gonna ride"

Some of these guys already make money doing it and if it got big, would allow a lot of others to make some money. Now it's not about the money for me, it's about the riding / stuntin.

BUT...everyone loves money and if you can make money doing what you love...i say do it.

This is part of the reason I am promoting a stunt show here in New Orleans. Hell, I'm not even sure if I'll be able to pull it off.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:00 PM
B.T.M.

crtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MikeM
+1...
i do it for fun.. i know i personally will never be famous, make money or get **** out of this, besides the joy of making wheelies... but ppl say they wanna "keep it underground" and be "gangsta" they just try to fulfill some image.. how many ppl do u know that ride and try to act hard cuz they ride....
just like punk music.. these kids are so intense about it, and follow a certain band everywhere.. and then when the band gets on the radio they are sellouts, and stop listening.. wtf!??! what was the point of the band in the first place?? ,... it'll go somewhere.. just hard because it's only for certain ppl, and society worries that we'll influence kids on streetbikes to kill themselves
Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 PM

MR. RYAN SMITH is an unknown quantity at this point

Id Say Somewhere Between Underground And Mainstreem Would Be Perfect.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:14 PM

s0nofg0d is an unknown quantity at this point

well if society sees that the sport can be done in a lot and not going 160 ithink that their opinions might change.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Squid Extradoinaire

Vetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MR. RYAN SMITH
Id Say Somewhere Between Underground And Mainstreem Would Be Perfect.
I think were at that point or close to it now. at Least on the coasts and florida its in between. middle america = more underground.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:19 PM

Tiretrauma is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the overall point of this post is to ask why someone woudnt want the sport to grow. If your out there, (and we know you are because of other threads) post up. But I think the majority of us do it for fun and would love to see it grow, but regardless will still do it. I wish I could do it for a living, but I know it wont happen, I dont have the time to put into it that is needed. I have so much respect for the guys pullin off those sick tricks day in and day out. But one thing is for sure; I can promise you that I will foreve rock a rashed bike and practice stunts as much as I can because I simply love it!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 PM

MR. RYAN SMITH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by s0nofg0d
well if society sees that the sport can be done in a lot and not going 160 ithink that their opinions might change.
THATS SACRIFICING 1/2 THE SPORT FOR SOCIETY AND THATS WHY PEOPLE WANT TO KEEP IT UNDERGROUND. I SAY WE DO IT HOW WE WANT TO DO IT AND LET SOCIETY CHANGE.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:26 PM
NME
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

NME is a decent person

I'm pretty confident that i will never be even known in this sport. I never even think about seeing Alex Flores on a Wheeties box. I just think most of us are going in the right direction. Wanting to make it a known sport. Just keep it up.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:36 PM

Tiretrauma is an unknown quantity at this point

You know whats so cool about this sport? On any given day you now have the chance to see a streetbike sittin in traffic, equiped with db bars, big sprockets and a shredded paint job. Stunting brought that!!!:YEAH