stunt rear tire discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:10 PM

Charlie_L.929 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post stunt rear tire discussion

A few of us in Peoria use a 180/55-17 rear tire thats a continental conti force radial on our liter bikes. The idea is the thinner tire will level out and flatten from bein stretched over the larger rim surface which will help in wheelie control and stability. Are we headed in the right direction with this concept? Is there a better rear tire we should be using instead of the 140 bucker? My bike is a 01 929rr which is what im using the tire on. What about a 170 rear tire? Has anyone ever tried it on a liter bike? I'm sure it would be a blast trying to fit it on And is there a certain rear tire thats better than the others for certain tricks or are they all the same and it doesnt matter? Thanks everyone for your help.
-Charlie
Old 07-11-2006, 09:20 PM

pcp weelo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: stunt rear tire discussion

i think that i 170 is going to be too small, i know that i like to run a 190 on my 600 with low pressure cause there is more contact to the ground, therefore slow stuff isnt so wobbley, but from what i heard, 190's on a 5.5 rim is alittle bit harder to do circles cause of that same reason, but i have never heard of anyone going the other way around, except at the track, some guys like to run a 180 cause they have a better lean angle......but thats just my 2 cents
Old 07-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Brett256 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charlie_L.929
A few of us in Peoria use a 180/55-17 rear tire thats a continental conti force radial on our liter bikes. The idea is the thinner tire will level out and flatten from bein stretched over the larger rim surface which will help in wheelie control and stability. Are we headed in the right direction with this concept? Is there a better rear tire we should be using instead of the 140 bucker? My bike is a 01 929rr which is what im using the tire on. What about a 170 rear tire? Has anyone ever tried it on a liter bike? I'm sure it would be a blast trying to fit it on And is there a certain rear tire thats better than the others for certain tricks or are they all the same and it doesnt matter? Thanks everyone for your help.
-Charlie

I always like running 180's on my 929. I had to fight with 190's keeping circles turned in...maybe it was inexperience at the time though.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 PM

pcp weelo is an unknown quantity at this point

depends on what your plans or skills are, a 190 is great for bar tricks and straight wheelies, and the 180 has more of a profile for leaning into circles and whatnot.....so i guess it all depends on the rider for the most part and what they are comfortable with
Old 07-11-2006, 10:22 PM

silverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to all

I like running 180s
I never put much thought in my tires
just get new juans
Old 07-12-2006, 08:49 AM

Charlie_L.929 is an unknown quantity at this point

im learning to use the bar on the new 929 right now. havent made it to circles yet but i'll get there. thanks for the replies everyone i appreciate it.
-Charlie
Old 07-12-2006, 08:56 AM
NME
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

NME is a decent person

A 180 won't help with circles. When I had an r6 back in the day, I put a 160 on it and IT WOULD NOT TURN!!!! It could probably go straight on it's own but circles wouldn't work. Aaron has a 190 on his f4i and he says it's great for circles. I guess because the tire is "pointier" so it tends to try to fall over and he also says it more forgiving, whatever that means...
Old 07-12-2006, 12:15 PM

silverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to all

I run my tires with more air in them so I can switch lanes while wheeling

I don't undertand why people think that 11psi whill help them wheelie

Last edited by silverstunterR6; 07-12-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:23 PM

LilJohn636 is an unknown quantity at this point

What a good tire/pressure for burnout tricks??
Old 07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by LilJohn636
What a good tire/pressure for burnout tricks??
I like 14-18 for an all around pressure. I'm not rocking circle wheelies though. Too low pressure and the tire wants to grab/ spin on the rim and not burnout.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 PM

Really...I always thought the lower the pressure the more grip you would get from the tire.....at least I know when the pressure is low It eats up the tire quick.....
Old 07-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Really...I always thought the lower the pressure the more grip you would get from the tire.....at least I know when the pressure is low It eats up the tire quick.....
Go back and re-read what I posted.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:31 PM

I was wondering what brands/compounds yall are running too...not just pressures
Old 07-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Retired

I was wondering what brands/compounds yall are running too...not just pressures
What ever is in the shop dumpster.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:35 PM

I have michellin pilot pros.
I used to run a lower pressure like 20 but now I'm at 35 and rolling burnouts are easy.
I used to have too low of a pressure so the front tire wouldn't roll it woud just lockup and skid.
A higher pressure gives the ground less tire to grap so it spins freely.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:37 PM

bikefreak600 is an unknown quantity at this point

i like the m1 tire and about 20psi
Old 07-12-2006, 01:18 PM

You know the bike shops around here started drilling holes in their tires when they throw away....fu(kin @ssholes
Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 PM

minipig is an unknown quantity at this point

continental tyres ? well nasty,why do you use them ? find some track racers and buy their used metzlers, cant beat them
Old 07-12-2006, 04:12 PM

You know the bike shops around here started drilling holes in their tires when they throw away....fu(kin @ssholes
that sucks
see if you can make a deal with someone to save you some tires
Old 07-12-2006, 04:16 PM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brett256
I always like running 180's on my 929.

Same here. But i also buy 180's because the tires are less expensive.

Last edited by SAMBO; 07-12-2006 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: stunt rear tire discussion