Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 06:39 PM
SERVIN IT UP

Darius is a decent person
Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment

I've got a new outlook on stunt competitions and how the general public and even mild enthusiast views our performances. I've done a few shows lately in front of a large non motorcycle audience's. I stood back in the crowd at stuntwars watching peoples runs and seeing what got the most attention from the people. There were alot of riders even big name guys that did some difficult tricks and the crowd was silent? Pfieffer comes by on the trials bike looking at the crowd doing a sit down wheelie pointing at them and they go crazy. Now most of us know it's about as hard as doing a one handed wheelie on a xr-50. Definatly not as hard or technical than someone busting combos on a big bike down the track but I saw many people do it and it was crickets in the stands! I love doing circles combo's, getting into highchairs and back out just because it's challenging to me when I'm riding and that makes it fun. But the crowd could probably care less about basic circles combos. I'm sure they would like to see getting in n out of highchair but you would most likely get the same response from them doing a circle with one handing off waving at them smiling. You can look at Pfieffers run at SW, nothing too technical about it but the crowd loved it and I thought it was sick too when I watched it from the stands. Just like Ac farias, the guy doesnt have a big bag of tricks but the tricks he does do he's got on lock and makes it look good. The 180 stoppie to wheelie then circle is the like standard trick for the euros. The more I think about it I realize it really doesnt matter what kind of bike you ride either. You could probably win stuntwars on a bone stock bike if you had your **** planned out right. What's the point of riding 600cc bikes now? Nobody gives a **** about the technical little tricks you can do on them and really it's not that exciting to watch besides a few tricks. I'm thinking I'm gonna go back to a bone stock 06 1000rr besides some gearing, cage, dampner etc. I figure I could pull off a sick enough run on it to entertain any crowd. I got into riding because of the speed not the stunts and riding a 180hp bike vs barely 100hp is way funner. Watching someone kill it on a bike like that I believe would be more entertaining. If we start gearing our sport towards the tricks that makes the crowds go ooohhhhh I believe it will get us where we want to be. I mean what the's point of wasting your time on technical **** when someone could skitch off the back and get the crowd going 10 times more? Any thoughts??
Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of
Re: Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment

All True, Very True
Old 02-23-2006, 06:44 PM

tim 67 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think we start riding for our selves.. and we shouldnt forget our roots.. so do what pleases you the people that dont care about or who arent involved in motorcycles will forget next month anyways
Old 02-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Euro's are better showman by far. American riders are all about being Gangsta's and take them selves too seriously witht the exception of Patrick. Why do yo uthink he books so many shows? Because people are buying the whole Uncle Hucklebuck Circus, not just a guy who does wheelies. The Euros take it one step further and get the crowd pumped. Most american riders ignore the crowd or just honk the horn at the middle/end of the run, which I find more annoying than anything else.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:47 PM

f4stunna is a decent person

Originally Posted by Darius
I mean what the's point of wasting your time on technical **** when someone could skitch off the back and get the crowd going 10 times more? Any thoughts??
becuase like you said, thats whats fun. Most of us dont ride in shows/comps, either becuase of our skill level or becuase we dont like the envirment and chose not to. For those of us that dont do shows, do it all for fun. If it wasnt, we'd be out fly fishing or playing golf or something like that.

its all what you make it. If you want to do shows and make money, then your gonna have to gear your riding torwards that. if you want to be known as the sickest mother f*cker out there, then your gonna have to do what you've been doing. if your just in the game to have fun, then your just gonna go hang out in the lots and ride with your friends, no matter how good you get.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Paw Paw is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn, junior....I've been saying that for awhile! lol For real though, the crowd doesn't give a **** about all of our technical tricks. They just want to see a christ or skitch. Hell, do a handstand and they go apeshit! Oh, and did I mention that they still love BAR TRICKS! lol

Paw Paw
Old 02-23-2006, 06:54 PM
myspace.com/reality631

Reality is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darius
I've got a new outlook on stunt competitions and how the general public and even mild enthusiast views our performances. I've done a few shows lately in front of a large non motorcycle audience's. I stood back in the crowd at stuntwars watching peoples runs and seeing what got the most attention from the people. There were alot of riders even big name guys that did some difficult tricks and the crowd was silent? Pfieffer comes by on the trials bike looking at the crowd doing a sit down wheelie pointing at them and they go crazy. Now most of us know it's about as hard as doing a one handed wheelie on a xr-50. Definatly not as hard or technical than someone busting combos on a big bike down the track but I saw many people do it and it was crickets in the stands! I love doing circles combo's, getting into highchairs and back out just because it's challenging to me when I'm riding and that makes it fun. But the crowd could probably care less about basic circles combos. I'm sure they would like to see getting in n out of highchair but you would most likely get the same response from them doing a circle with one handing off waving at them smiling. You can look at Pfieffers run at SW, nothing too technical about it but the crowd loved it and I thought it was sick too when I watched it from the stands. Just like Ac farias, the guy doesnt have a big bag of tricks but the tricks he does do he's got on lock and makes it look good. The 180 stoppie to wheelie then circle is the like standard trick for the euros. The more I think about it I realize it really doesnt matter what kind of bike you ride either. You could probably win stuntwars on a bone stock bike if you had your **** planned out right. What's the point of riding 600cc bikes now? Nobody gives a **** about the technical little tricks you can do on them and really it's not that exciting to watch besides a few tricks. I'm thinking I'm gonna go back to a bone stock 06 1000rr besides some gearing, cage, dampner etc. I figure I could pull off a sick enough run on it to entertain any crowd. I got into riding because of the speed not the stunts and riding a 180hp bike vs barely 100hp is way funner. Watching someone kill it on a bike like that I believe would be more entertaining. If we start gearing our sport towards the tricks that makes the crowds go ooohhhhh I believe it will get us where we want to be. I mean what the's point of wasting your time on technical **** when someone could skitch off the back and get the crowd going 10 times more? Any thoughts??
d i got your back 100% on this post.the crowd could give a **** about slow combo ****. they want danger, crashes, smoke and mickey mouse ****. as well all may or maynot know i don't do circles @ all. my crowds don't give much response to them @ all. it's like sesame street with the count saying a one,a two,a three as wink 1100 would say"knock it off" we don't care how slow and controlled you are.we want a reckless ******* to basically almost kill himself for our viewing pleasure then we go home that's it simple and plain. d remember the days on your r1 killin high speed ****.think about how many cars or spectators looked @ u then. i'll change with some times but i'm not slowin down sorry guys just my
Old 02-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Murder Mitten takeover

Judd is a decent person

Sitting back watching everything at stuntwars got me thinking. i loved pfieifers run. he did a great job and deserved to win. but the crowds reaction to someone doing a watch tower was louder than any other trick that i saw. if your going to do shows and comps, i think that doing the faster tricks and a few tricks for just the hype is a must. but if you ride and want to learn as much as possible thats good to.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:10 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

KENNETH929RR is a decent person

Originally Posted by Paw Paw
Damn, junior....I've been saying that for awhile! lol For real though, the crowd doesn't give a **** about all of our technical tricks. They just want to see a christ or skitch. Hell, do a handstand and they go apeshit! Oh, and did I mention that they still love BAR TRICKS!
Paw Paw
yeah i notice it when i did a little show infront about 100 harley people and a few other sportbike riders in kenosha wi. at ace powersports and they loved it. i cant do circles yet but i did all the old standard stuff like skitching off the back, rolling endos, etc.. they went crazy lol i felt like darius for a little bit

you know harley people they hate most of the stunters here in illinois/ wisconsin area so it was a shocker when they came up to me asking me how i did the stuff
Old 02-23-2006, 07:12 PM
florida! finally

Nate-VMC is an unknown quantity at this point

agree 100%..
Old 02-23-2006, 07:14 PM
AuthorityStunts

KROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to behold

From my point of view as a amature stunt rider/ fan, when im at a stunt comp i like to see the dangerous stuff and the technical. Most people who i try to explain this sport to just gives me a blank stare and then they talk about that one time they saw a guy doin 75 on the freeway on the back wheel. People that dont ride dont care about tech tricks, but if you only do fast tricks and burnouts your gonna loose the stunter/rider crowd. I do hate seeing 20 circles in a row and too many circle anything. People need to do more stoppies imo. I guess if i were a pro rider i would just mix it 50/50. Sometimes you have to deal with crickets, but thats what will make you figure out the balance of the two different crowds. Another thing is that alot of pros that i have seen look like robots on the bike. I think people like to watch the riders that look somewhat out of control(i.e kane). When the rider makes it look easy and smooth, hes gonna loose the non rider crowd. An easy and smooth slow trick dont look "extreme" to non riders. dont know if this makes any sence but thats what i think

Last edited by KROHNSTUNTS; 02-23-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Wheelie Ninja!

Kaneone is a decent person

it is what it is...

**I told u streetfighters were ugly**
crowd likes fairings

-kane

Last edited by Kaneone; 02-23-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:21 PM

mekrew is an unknown quantity at this point

from everything ive read and heard it seems like the perfect stuntwars or entertaining run includes:

high speed wheelies
high speed coasters
high speed skitching
high speed acrobatics
bar tricks [watch tower, running around bike while on bar]
and dont forget
ALOT OF SMOKE .. people love burnouts for some reason
Old 02-23-2006, 07:24 PM

WADESEC518 is an unknown quantity at this point

you could do any trick for a crowd and not get a reaction but once you get the tire spinnin off the rev limiter they go nuts!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:25 PM
www.GSENick.com

GSE Nick is a decent person

three words i hear when at a show and only three words DO A BURNOUT!...so now when i go to shows i bring a few spare tires! haha simple as that lol. crowd interaction is a great thing too, like games and such with other riders like last man standing sitting highchair pushing each other off bike and stuff. non-stunt riders don't know the difficulty of the tricks. like there's a guy at my work who swears his boy can ride 100 times better than me cause he can do a wheelie 3 miles long going 120mph....i don't even try to argue either no point...lol
Old 02-23-2006, 07:27 PM
www.GSENick.com

Originally Posted by Kaneone
it is what it is...

**I told u streetfighters were ugly**
crowd likes fairings

-kane

yo kane u have got to lemme see or get that footage from Sunday night at the royalty inn......no joke lol

GodSpeedExtreme@yahoo.com
Old 02-23-2006, 07:30 PM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point

ur stating the obvious..thats why there are showriders like you, kane, um i dont kno other people who do shows, then there are competetion riders likek kyle woods, then there are people who u havent heard of who dont care to entertain a crowd, cud care less where this sport goes, as long as we get to ride.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:34 PM

f4stunna is a decent person

Originally Posted by Z-UNIT
thats why there are showriders like you, kane, um i dont kno other people who do shows
ronnie!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 PM
SERVIN IT UP

Darius is a decent person

If they dont understand it they wont applaud no matter how technical it is. Everyone one can relate to someone doing a christ or skitching. If you ride down the street skitching off the side with your feet out the people on the road will freak out way more than a wheelie. I will never give up riding the f4i and doing all the technical tricks, there's so much more to do.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:37 PM
www.GSENick.com

Originally Posted by Z-UNIT
ur stating the obvious..thats why there are showriders like you, kane, um i dont kno other people who do shows, then there are competetion riders likek kyle woods, then there are people who u havent heard of who dont care to entertain a crowd, cud care less where this sport goes, as long as we get to ride.

wait woods isnt a good showrider?

Quick Reply: Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment