Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:54 PM
AGGRESSION!

E-DUB OM is a decent person
Re: Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment

Are we a sport or a ****ing freak show? How can you say not to do the technical **** that makes this sport look boring? Without that **** this sport wouldnt ****ing progress. Guys like the euros look good because they have been riding for like 20+ years. They've established the control that looks so entertaining. Quit *****ing and just get out and ride more. It'll all come in time. Creativity and style are what will come into play. We have like one or two actual competitions a year so no one ever worries about runs or even trys to put **** together. Stuntwars is the biggest comp of the year and thats about it. The euros have been doing this **** for years thats why they look so polished. I can watch pfiefer do regular circles and watch someone combo circle and pfiefer will look so much better just cause of the presence he brings on the bike. I think you all worry too much. Just get out and ride already. What happened to riding for fun? Thats the problem here. The euros still ride for fun cause they love it. Everyone here in the US just wants to do what everyone else is doing. Thats why **** looks so boring
Old 02-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Regular StuntLifer

camaroguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darius
I've got a new outlook on stunt competitions and how the general public and even mild enthusiast views our performances. I've done a few shows lately in front of a large non motorcycle audience's. I stood back in the crowd at stuntwars watching peoples runs and seeing what got the most attention from the people. There were alot of riders even big name guys that did some difficult tricks and the crowd was silent? Pfieffer comes by on the trials bike looking at the crowd doing a sit down wheelie pointing at them and they go crazy. Now most of us know it's about as hard as doing a one handed wheelie on a xr-50. Definatly not as hard or technical than someone busting combos on a big bike down the track but I saw many people do it and it was crickets in the stands! I love doing circles combo's, getting into highchairs and back out just because it's challenging to me when I'm riding and that makes it fun. But the crowd could probably care less about basic circles combos. I'm sure they would like to see getting in n out of highchair but you would most likely get the same response from them doing a circle with one handing off waving at them smiling. You can look at Pfieffers run at SW, nothing too technical about it but the crowd loved it and I thought it was sick too when I watched it from the stands. Just like Ac farias, the guy doesnt have a big bag of tricks but the tricks he does do he's got on lock and makes it look good. The 180 stoppie to wheelie then circle is the like standard trick for the euros. The more I think about it I realize it really doesnt matter what kind of bike you ride either. You could probably win stuntwars on a bone stock bike if you had your **** planned out right. What's the point of riding 600cc bikes now? Nobody gives a **** about the technical little tricks you can do on them and really it's not that exciting to watch besides a few tricks. I'm thinking I'm gonna go back to a bone stock 06 1000rr besides some gearing, cage, dampner etc. I figure I could pull off a sick enough run on it to entertain any crowd. I got into riding because of the speed not the stunts and riding a 180hp bike vs barely 100hp is way funner. Watching someone kill it on a bike like that I believe would be more entertaining. If we start gearing our sport towards the tricks that makes the crowds go ooohhhhh I believe it will get us where we want to be. I mean what the's point of wasting your time on technical **** when someone could skitch off the back and get the crowd going 10 times more? Any thoughts??
stunt a busa or a zx-14.. that will turn heads
Old 02-24-2006, 01:09 PM
**** BULLSHITTERS

Merk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by E-DUB OM
. Everyone here in the US just wants to do what everyone else is doing. Thats why **** looks so boring
yep! needs some flava like peanut butter and mustard
:YEAH
Old 02-24-2006, 01:09 PM

SmurfKilla is an unknown quantity at this point

This post sums it up for me...

Originally Posted by E-DUB OM
Are we a sport or a ****ing freak show? How can you say not to do the technical **** that makes this sport look boring? Without that **** this sport wouldnt ****ing progress. Guys like the euros look good because they have been riding for like 20+ years. They've established the control that looks so entertaining. Quit *****ing and just get out and ride more. It'll all come in time. Creativity and style are what will come into play. We have like one or two actual competitions a year so no one ever worries about runs or even trys to put **** together. Stuntwars is the biggest comp of the year and thats about it. The euros have been doing this **** for years thats why they look so polished. I can watch pfiefer do regular circles and watch someone combo circle and pfiefer will look so much better just cause of the presence he brings on the bike. I think you all worry too much. Just get out and ride already. What happened to riding for fun? Thats the problem here. The euros still ride for fun cause they love it. Everyone here in the US just wants to do what everyone else is doing. Thats why **** looks so boring
Old 02-24-2006, 01:52 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Merk
yep! needs some flava like peanut butter and mustard
:YEAH
that sounds like some chris farley superfan polish sausage ****
Old 02-24-2006, 02:02 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

INSAIN is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if you take a little bit from what everyone is saying ... someone could come up with a wicked "Cirque du Soleil" act. :YEAH

Maybe we've become caught up with the techinical video age......everything and anyone could look amazing with a good editor and editing program(except me) . Euros seem to concentrate and excel on entertaining the crowd. Teach said it best: "their bag of tricks are on lock...you get the same thing on a strip of un-edited video as you do in a live performance"

As far as shows go......The crowd is your platform!!!

for comps....would love to see abit of everything.

If we all take a bit of rider egos out of it...and search for a little more of the fan within ourselves....We'll all win

Having someone like Thomas on the mic doesn't hurt either.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:12 PM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough

just a quick question.. how many fans were at stuntwars this year??

from the looks of it on vids that ppl post it looked like there was about a little over 1 thousand ppl
Old 02-24-2006, 03:42 PM

richierokit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darius
If they dont understand it they wont applaud no matter how technical it is. Everyone one can relate to someone doing a christ or skitching. If you ride down the street skitching off the side with your feet out the people on the road will freak out way more than a wheelie. I will never give up riding the f4i and doing all the technical tricks, there's so much more to do.
Well, it's unfortunate, but the crowd is stupid? Not due to any fault of their own, they just don't know how hard it is to control a full size bike at zero mph and whip it orund in a circle ten times, then hoist your stubby little legs(sorry D, just funnin with you) over the bars, then bust into some highchair cirles, then ride away and scrape the highchair. They just don't know, they like a rev limiter burnout way better. It's just because they dont know any better. I watched Darius in practice on Thurs and Fri, every time he hit the technical stuff my eyes were glued to him! I could stand around and watch guys bust technical stuff all day, and never get bored! But I am a stunter, not the average guy in the crowd. I guess the point is, its a shame we need the crowd so much, cause they ****!:YEAH
Old 02-24-2006, 03:50 PM

xfrjeff is an unknown quantity at this point

jUST BYE WHAT EVREYONE IS SAYING LEADS ME TO SAY, tHATS WHY ACROS ARE NOT GAY THEY JUST ADD TO THE ENTERTAINMENT TO THE CROWD, AND IF THERE IS NO CROWD WERE WOULD WE BE. a WELL ROUNDED RIDER WILL GET THE RESPECT FROM THERE FELLOW RIDERS, AND THE LOVE FROM THE CROWD. bACK TO BASICS tHATS WHY I LOVE mY ACROBATICS.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:52 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

i think people respond to the energy level you put out. I remember a run by Phieffer in 03, totally pumped up full sprint pushing his bike and himself as hard as he could go. He looked like he was on crack. People went apeshit over that show.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:54 PM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough

Rus Extreme had the crowd doin the freakin wave synchronized at one of his shows in europe where he was doin highspeed tricks.

rus extreme kicks ***
Old 02-24-2006, 05:59 PM

aw0n0 can only hope to improve

I remember kyle woods made a thread like this, right before he kinda disappeared from the site.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:00 PM

aw0n0 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by TheRomanSF415x
Rus Extreme had the crowd doin the freakin wave synchronized at one of his shows in europe where he was doin highspeed tricks.

rus extreme kicks ***
+1, best entertainer in the game
Old 02-24-2006, 07:39 PM

Prophet is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont post but.. ive noticed you need both tytpes of people.. the stunnas, and newbies/fans ...tech tricks is for cats in the stunt game, thats why they buy the dvd to see whatcha doin and how you doin it.. old school skithcing, christ, and burnouts will foreva be crowd pleasers thats why there was a "sport" and shows back in the days.. and those newbies/fans are the main cats who spend their money buying the dvds, stickers, hats, shirts, and posters.. you need both, so you include both in your runs, obviously ya'll do already..

and about the comment about all these new cats in the game because alot are only going 15mph, and can crash, get back up and do it again, back int he days you crash, you gotta tow your bike home, maybe go to the hospital, maybe total'd the bike which mean less cats kept doin it.. now i ride around and see 12 bars on bikes, not scraped, with cages and they dont do 12's.. its all funny to me now.. but i ride my stunna when its working to work and when i go out, no shame in my chuncky piece.. i'll scrape in a parking lot, and still able to ride mile long wheelies at a controlled speed around 65-70 on the freeway.. neva stopped bangin in the streets neva will.. and SJPD are the worst.. Zero tollerance for cycle riders.. no tire tread, no plate, no lights, no mirrors.. 12bar, cage.. WTF ...your walking home!
Old 02-24-2006, 09:19 PM
myspace.com/reality631

Reality is an unknown quantity at this point

since the handbrake & bartrick era the element of danger has been removed from our sport. Even worse circles are just killing it for fans even more. their sayin this **** is slow and boring. It's like, going to the slowest wheelie comp is like watching turtles ***. it's cool and all but i've seen turtles *** a million times and i'm bored of it. I like the fast ****, combo's or just straight out killin ****. Don't get me wrong watching teach wip out sit down circles as fast as he does is one of the coolest stunt tricks i like to watch.

Crowds want DANGER they don't wanna go home to the friends and have them say how many of those crazy ******** crashed today and them have to say no one really crashed most of them just dropped their bikes. What fukin fun is that. As much as i love everyone in this sport we need crashes not drops to keep the fans in the stands. Or we need gimmicks like the crusty tour type ****. I don't think anyone wants to wear big funny lookin orange hat's or somethin stupid like that to keep fans comin back.

We are stuck as of right now. alot of us are trying to venture out and recieve higher level sponsorships. Most riders go out there and "ride for themselves" but in order to ride for yourself with a clear head. wouldn't it feel better to go out there and kill it with less worries about your bike being wrecked and have sponsors picking up the bill becuase u put on a sick show. As much as i hate to say it we all need to pick up a gimmick wether it be funny hats or colored hair or lmfao "temporary tattoo's" that goes out to you know who...yeah you

people want a show the riders ego's want braggin rights. so what do u want to do, make money from fans or be able to say yea i'm cool i just pulled off this sick new trick. most of us would like to say both but the point of this all is to get the fans to keep comin back.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:06 AM

Zackie Chan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matt Gorka
New bumper sticker:

2006' Stunting....No ***** required.

Stunter recipe: Little skill, lots of gearing and a handbrake. Add parking lot and mix on low speed.

Darius, I was really surprised by your post. I couldn't agree more.
Hey thats me diffently no skill, little gearing, oh yeah i love my hand brake and wicked low speeds for sure. We'll sh*t you can call me "the parking lot hand brake p***Y". And i'll wear it proudly.

Oh did i mention i ride for myself and hanging out with my friends.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:17 AM

Zackie Chan is an unknown quantity at this point

Next comp, here are the rules: 10up max gearing and you must REMOVE the rear brake assembly from your bike.

I remember when people used to loop their bikes. What happened? Did everyone just get that good?I don't want my posts to sound negative, but I would say that I'm right up there with having the most heart and love for this sport as anyone.....and it's beginning to bore me. I guess I'm old school. I'm all about more and more people getting involved, but it seems like that might be partly because the risk factor is diminishing. Solution? Don't know. Maybe it's just the way things are going to be from now on. 20 up rear sprockets, first gear and handbrakes. Our sport is 25mph and now anybody and their brother can do it. That's good for participation, but bad for shows and attracting spectators and bigtime exposure.
Does it appeal to people who don't ride, or just stunters? I don't know.
Not to knock, but most stunters that entered stuntwars probably couldn't enter the comp I mentioned above. Why? Because it would scare the hell out of them and they'd probaby eat it. It would also show their total dependency for the rear brake and overall lack of talent and control. There is a reason this sport got to where it is. Risk, being crazy. Eating **** and roadrash. People like the Starboyz. Being something that people were deathly afraid of and had to witness for themselves. To tell their friends their boy was loony and you had to see him ride. Now, I could do a circle wheelie in front of an old lady and her heartrate probably wouldn't change. I remember doing wheelies on the highway and people freaking out yelling at me, telling me I was going to kill myself.
Where is the push? Where are the *****? Where is the risk? Are we crazy or nutless? Are we safe or extreme? Are we worthy for X-Games or just a parking lot side show?

I don't even know why I posted this or what outcome I was looking to achieve.
It's just something I've been feeling. Figured I'd share it.
Take it for what it's worth...or not worth.

Respectfully,
Matt Gorka

I got mad respect for you on this one but i like to ride with my friends and thats basically it so for me its for technicall then scare factor. The stunt world will split into three parts parking lot pimps, show riders, and compeition riders. It basically boils down to just having fun with whatever your doing and forget about everone else. (once again mad respect for what you have done for me and this sport)

Thankfully,
Zackie chan.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:31 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

KENNETH929RR is a decent person

Next comp, here are the rules: 10up max gearing and you must REMOVE the rear brake assembly from your bike.

I remember when people used to loop their bikes. ...............this or what outcome I was looking to achieve.

Respectfully,
Matt Gorka
im with you on that... hahaha i remember you and thew when you came down to illinois and we all rode with shugga and thew jumped the street! man so many people thought that was fake but in all it was wicked and when everyone found out it was real, they were loving it. and you doing circles with the stock ****.

everything changes tho... i remember when i used to skateboard for like 6 years and i was seriously into that it changed real fast with the generations change over. everything changes one way or another.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:12 AM

Ed LegionST is a decent person

you know whats crazy when other riders see videos on here and say "wow you guys do that on the street" thats some funny **** right there, funny because they are STREET bikes its not like we are out there riding quads or dirtbikes down the street which in philly they do by the way. go out and ride on the streets and clear your heads remember what it is to ride after a few days of riding come back and voice your oppions then. i think alot of parking lot only people that say they ride for themselves are just caught up in doing what they have been doing for a while and dont really know why they keep riding but they just do.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:20 AM

DEBO is a decent person

Been there did that! I entered last years sw w/o a handbrake and had +9 gearing. I only remember a few people from last year not using a HB (props to
Korno and Javier!) Obviously I did not win and I doubt the SB's realized I had no HB

I remember when people used to loop their bikes. What happened? Did everyone just get that good?I don't want my posts to sound negative, but I would say that I'm right up there with having the most heart and love for this sport as anyone.....and it's beginning to bore me. I guess I'm old school.

Well Matt I remember seeing you spectating at last years sw. Do you still get on the old iron horse and ride every now and then?? I am still keepin semi old school, I have a upper fairing and keep my clip ons in the stock location.

Does it appeal to people who don't ride, or just stunters? I don't know.
Not to knock, but most stunters that entered stuntwars probably couldn't enter the comp I mentioned above. Why? Where is the push? Where are the *****? Where is the risk?
Just recently I put on the handbrake. My reasoning behind that, was not to fall way behind in my progression to learn new tricks. I would have to say SS circs are easier than regualr ones. Sorry to disapoint any one ....

I don't even know why I posted this or what outcome I was looking to achieve.

Respectfully,
Matt Gorka

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment