Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 05:03 AM
SERVIN IT UP

Darius is a decent person
Re: Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment

Originally Posted by Kaneone
biytch i take throttle chop to a new level.. u wish u had that talent...

IDLE THIS BIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAATCH!! LOL

next time i eat bar be que im saving the left overs for u... figured u might need another bone to CHOKE on...

-kane
hahah you got me but it's pretty bad when I choke and still beat you
Old 02-24-2006, 05:58 AM
SERVIN IT UP

Darius is a decent person

hey i got wrecks on lockdown...

ive always said if this sport went Xgames tomorrow and I was one of the first 10 out the box... id full blown 90mph loop the **** out... mad TV coverage would come of it..

worked for carey hart...

-kane
best idea you've had yet but if you think you can loop out harder than me your crazy, I will rev limit highchair coaster the fukka and drop the clutch fresh out the box!
Old 02-24-2006, 06:38 AM
cam

cam is an unknown quantity at this point

I definately think the old school tricks like skitchin, christs, burnouts etc are crowd favourites.
I've shown video footage to non riders who just look blankly at circle combo's and then can't believe it when you jump up to christ.
Just as long as you keep filling your dvd's with fresh wig splittin tricks D
Old 02-24-2006, 08:57 AM

Matt Gorka is a decent person

Next comp, here are the rules: 10up max gearing and you must REMOVE the rear brake assembly from your bike.

I remember when people used to loop their bikes. What happened? Did everyone just get that good?I don't want my posts to sound negative, but I would say that I'm right up there with having the most heart and love for this sport as anyone.....and it's beginning to bore me. I guess I'm old school. I'm all about more and more people getting involved, but it seems like that might be partly because the risk factor is diminishing. Solution? Don't know. Maybe it's just the way things are going to be from now on. 20 up rear sprockets, first gear and handbrakes. Our sport is 25mph and now anybody and their brother can do it. That's good for participation, but bad for shows and attracting spectators and bigtime exposure.
Does it appeal to people who don't ride, or just stunters? I don't know.
Not to knock, but most stunters that entered stuntwars probably couldn't enter the comp I mentioned above. Why? Because it would scare the hell out of them and they'd probaby eat it. It would also show their total dependency for the rear brake and overall lack of talent and control. There is a reason this sport got to where it is. Risk, being crazy. Eating **** and roadrash. People like the Starboyz. Being something that people were deathly afraid of and had to witness for themselves. To tell their friends their boy was loony and you had to see him ride. Now, I could do a circle wheelie in front of an old lady and her heartrate probably wouldn't change. I remember doing wheelies on the highway and people freaking out yelling at me, telling me I was going to kill myself.
Where is the push? Where are the *****? Where is the risk? Are we crazy or nutless? Are we safe or extreme? Are we worthy for X-Games or just a parking lot side show?

I don't even know why I posted this or what outcome I was looking to achieve.
It's just something I've been feeling. Figured I'd share it.
Take it for what it's worth...or not worth.

Respectfully,
Matt Gorka
Old 02-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Nascency Project Ninja

nascency_heidi is a decent person

We had Pat Stephens here to do a show last year, and I noticed a few things:
-the crowd doesn't know what a handbrake is, and couldn't care less if you have one or not
-burnouts win every time... the closer to the crowd the better
-any trick that involves a "volunteer" is a must
-the 15 year old kid that doesn't ride is the one that buys the most DVDs, t-shirts, hats, stickers, etc.

I know that technical is more impressive to me, and most people involved... but if you want to get to x-games status you have to impress the average "Pacific Sunwear" shopper. Make them happy, and they will buy, which in turn will get major sponsors. Eventually you'll have a mixed CD at Target with a pic of you doing a power wheelie on the front.
And you can laugh all the way to the bank.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:25 AM
myspace.com/redlinepeyton

Peyton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emrock
ill be on the streets if anyone wants to join me :YEAH :YEAH :YEAH

I will be joining you soon....:YEAH
Old 02-24-2006, 09:26 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

StuntRagz Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

i know 2 people who would still kill it without a back brake.
i like crazy comps like that, you would get some sick crash footage to.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:29 AM
myspace.com/redlinepeyton

Peyton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darius
yes we know it but how many actually do it??
Not many,
becouse the bottom line is most of us seem like were still riding to impress all the other riders, not saying it's a bad thing but it's just what's actualy going on for the most part.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 AM

GUPJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

ill throw my cents in d ill have to say the red 929 full faring was sick .it stepped you out from the other bikes. and you killed it and people noticed the bike and then noticed you killing it. this year with out me really looking to see it was you . you just kind of blended in with the other bikes not that you werent killing it any less. it just you didnt stand out like you did on the 929............
this is aaron cause to lazy to log my bro out.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:18 AM

Division1 Ryan is an unknown quantity at this point

When I do shows everybody wants see endos and burnouts, the easy stuff. But until the non riding public gets to know our sport and what tricks are skilled and which ones are not, we are gonna have to keep doin the attention grabbin stuff. Unless its just a bunch of stuntriders together then we can bust out the hard stuff, and be appreciated for it.

On another note, you also have to have a personality. Look like your enjoying what your doin, make yourself fun to watch. There are soo many riders that look just alike, cookie cutter stunters is what I call it. Not talkin down or anything because I ****, but we need to start doin other stuff.

Or you could always just crash your a** off, and get all the attention and crowd response. I think everyone liked it when I front flipped off my bike and got run over.

But there is nuthin wrong with throttle choppin, I do it on purpose.
Its fun.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

biyatch!!! a lot of talk coming from a guy who let lighting hit twice!!!
-kane

u r right, but this subject of crowds is old news...

bottom line is you HAVE 2 b entertaining...yhat is what separates the 'elite' from the masses.

everyone has circles + tech cuz it is safe + relatively easy...few can do endos, fewer acros, and even fewer make it look entertaining (entert. can b crazy, out of control, or whatever).

the best incorporate everthing: speed, tech, acros, entertainment, burn, endo AND do it on command easily

hb's r cool, but relying on them 4 yoiur entire game is what gorka is referring 2

i agree with gup...iwatched d's sw runs 2-3 yrs ago +n it was more entertaining than some of the stuff this year. best bet: combine both

it is not rocket science...the formula 4 success is pretty basic

thats enuff 1 finger typing 4 me. out.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:43 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

I dont see anything wrong with having the skills to do circles/combos/technical tricks-without technical tricks what are we?--I respect everyone that stunts and respect even more the guys who busted their asses learning the technical tricks that these crowds call "boring".

If i was in the crowd at stuntwars this year and everyone was quiet when a rider pulled off a really technical trick that nobody understood I would cheer the rider on outloud as loud as possible LOL.

Keep doing the technical tricks and when its time do do shows for crowds, do what makes them happy!

-Alvin
Old 02-24-2006, 11:22 AM
20%OVER HONDA&YAMAHA PART

DENIRO600 is a jewel in the roughDENIRO600 is a jewel in the roughDENIRO600 is a jewel in the roughDENIRO600 is a jewel in the rough

Before I go out riding the streets I watch furred out, 1096, jd1, and full leather jacket. We still love the old highspeed standups. It is true do a christ going down the highway and people freek out. Some local guys did a show in a parking lot and it was like being at the library. Crowd just doesn't understand the tech. stuff. As everybody has already said they (non stunters/riders) can relate to speed and danger/smoke. Leave the show and go by doing a fast standup or a christ and the whole crowd will not even pay attention to the o's. These bikes we ride are made for speed. Not to sit in a lot for hours at a time rollin around at idle. Still have to get out and thet this yitch breath every once and a while. Just my 2 cents. Remember I am nobody.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:24 AM

Nascency Chris is a decent person

Originally Posted by shugga
...start the new trend. bring it back to the people, fans and crowd. Then maybe someday we can have stuntriding be llike it is in Europe.
do you mean the "new trend" the brunelles have been rockin for years?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:51 AM

COOP 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheRomanSF415x
"i like the american style its very fast very dangerous"
AC Farias USBW 3

nowadays ppl are bustin their ***** to get circles down. i know when i get the Basic BP wheelie down i'll be happy and it makes ppl say wow to this day.
but i'm with ya 100%

to me as a fan this is the run that would make me **** my pants: high speed wheelies back and forth.... long endos , big fat smoky burnouts and i'm happy lol
throw in a couple circles and i'm more than happy.
i
as a fan... +1
Old 02-24-2006, 11:59 AM

rweezystunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Part time stunner perspective:
Total respect for the technical tricks, Darius and all the others blow me away with that stuff, but I have also been watching this $#it since the days of VHS tapes, so I "get it" when I see D do a high-chair circle combo.
Fan perspective:
Most riders in the US (and no disrespect to any of you cats) do a killer run without ever looking at the crowd, throw the peace sign at the end of the run, and then go hurry up and put on their PIMPIT wife-beater and do-rag and walk around acting like 50cent for the rest of the day. From the bleachers it gives the @sshole/don't care if you clap for me or not vibe.
Gotta show people you care about them being there and that you are having fun entertaining them. If not, the comps are going to have less and less people there every year.

Agree with Darius 110%.......
Old 02-24-2006, 12:01 PM

RazorCycleSport is an unknown quantity at this point

i ride for myself, not for the crowd. the crowd is just a bonus. if they cheer and appreciate it, so be it.....if not - **** them - cuz i ride for me. yes i am selfish, but i have fun.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:04 PM

COOP 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CN STARZ
We had Pat Stephens here to do a show last year, and I noticed a few things:
-the crowd doesn't know what a handbrake is, and couldn't care less if you have one or not
-burnouts win every time... the closer to the crowd the better
-any trick that involves a "volunteer" is a must
-the 15 year old kid that doesn't ride is the one that buys the most DVDs, t-shirts, hats, stickers, etc.

I know that technical is more impressive to me, and most people involved... but if you want to get to x-games status you have to impress the average "Pacific Sunwear" shopper. Make them happy, and they will buy, which in turn will get major sponsors. Eventually you'll have a mixed CD at Target with a pic of you doing a power wheelie on the front.
And you can laugh all the way to the bank.
good stuff
Old 02-24-2006, 12:13 PM

John LegionST is a decent person

Originally Posted by Matt Gorka
Next comp, here are the rules: 10up max gearing and you must REMOVE the rear brake assembly from your bike.

I remember when people used to loop their bikes. What happened? Did everyone just get that good?I don't want my posts to sound negative, but I would say that I'm right up there with having the most heart and love for this sport as anyone.....and it's beginning to bore me. I guess I'm old school. I'm all about more and more people getting involved, but it seems like that might be partly because the risk factor is diminishing. Solution? Don't know. Maybe it's just the way things are going to be from now on. 20 up rear sprockets, first gear and handbrakes. Our sport is 25mph and now anybody and their brother can do it. That's good for participation, but bad for shows and attracting spectators and bigtime exposure.
Does it appeal to people who don't ride, or just stunters? I don't know.
Not to knock, but most stunters that entered stuntwars probably couldn't enter the comp I mentioned above. Why? Because it would scare the hell out of them and they'd probaby eat it. It would also show their total dependency for the rear brake and overall lack of talent and control. There is a reason this sport got to where it is. Risk, being crazy. Eating **** and roadrash. People like the Starboyz. Being something that people were deathly afraid of and had to witness for themselves. To tell their friends their boy was loony and you had to see him ride. Now, I could do a circle wheelie in front of an old lady and her heartrate probably wouldn't change. I remember doing wheelies on the highway and people freaking out yelling at me, telling me I was going to kill myself.
Where is the push? Where are the *****? Where is the risk? Are we crazy or nutless? Are we safe or extreme? Are we worthy for X-Games or just a parking lot side show?

I don't even know why I posted this or what outcome I was looking to achieve.
It's just something I've been feeling. Figured I'd share it.
Take it for what it's worth...or not worth.

Respectfully,
Matt Gorka

Great post matt!!! Seriously, 2006 bumper sticker, "I stunt... 5mph, endless circle combos, NO *****!" or "Stunting 2006, NO *****" like matt said earlier... or something to that effect...

Anyway... Everything that is being said in this thread we've been saying for the last year! anyone who saw a show that we were at knows it! you still have to be ABLE to do the tech stuff, but mostly have the other non-idle stuff on lock and make it look really scary while doing it! play to the crowd the WHOLE time!

Get the crowd to the edge of their seats, that's what it's all about!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:33 PM

perfect circle is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget about what the crowd says. Any one who knows anything about what we are doing here will watch learn study and appreciate all the crap we go through to get down the way we do. For me it's all about the respect from my fellow stunna's. Gettin down till 3 a.m. practicin when it's 30 degrees out. Just tear it up!!!!!!!

No Love for the show boats. You want the crowd to love it and scream blow your tire at the end of your set. They'll walk away happy. But get your respect. That's my

Quick Reply: Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment