Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:37 PM

andyr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment

Originally Posted by NINER
Euro's are better showman by far. American riders are all about being Gangsta's and take them selves too seriously witht the exception of Patrick. Why do yo uthink he books so many shows? Because people are buying the whole Uncle Hucklebuck Circus, not just a guy who does wheelies. The Euros take it one step further and get the crowd pumped. Most american riders ignore the crowd or just honk the horn at the middle/end of the run, which I find more annoying than anything else.
I agree with this ofr sure!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Don't read this.

GundamnitPete will become famous soon enough

i think chuck norris' run at SW should have won, of course this is after the round house kick to the face
Old 02-23-2006, 07:40 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Very true and I agree 100%... but you're just now realizing this?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:48 PM

Nick Apex is a decent person

don't forget to crash, they like that too. once in a while when I'm practicing I'll notice my bike not violently wobbling from side to side while I'm jumping around and nobody watching. so I go back to looking like I'm about to eat **** and everyone’s happy. riding for shows is just that, riding for riders is hard, and riding for yourself should be priority one, I like many of you probably forget that at times.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 PM

Paw Paw is an unknown quantity at this point

it takes awhile for things to trickle over to the west coast. lol j/k D

Paw Paw
Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Why do people like watching Nick Hill ride? Same reason they like watching NASCAR......They are waiting for the crash. Nick LOOKS like he is out of control when he rides which makes you THINK he is going to crash.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:08 PM

BLONDE BOMBER is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NINER
Why do people like watching Nick Hill ride? Same reason they like watching NASCAR......They are waiting for the crash. Nick LOOKS like he is out of control when he rides which makes you THINK he is going to crash.
kinda the same thing with Reality -- he puts on entertaining shows
Old 02-23-2006, 08:17 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

LivingCanvas is an unknown quantity at this point

F*ck all that....I ride for me
Old 02-23-2006, 08:22 PM

Bill McMahon is a decent person

I think the big thing here as well is that the Euros are FLUID!! They are riding several tricks ahead of what they are presently doing and have a flow. It's not all entirely elementary stuff strung together, but it's all speedy and never boring. Seeing Pfeiffer wall ride the BMW was fantastic, it's just all about being creative. All I'm saying is don't stop pushing the technical envelope because that's amazing how far it's come in such a short time, just interject the hottness with the crowd pleasing speed too.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Red
I'm baaaaack!!

Red is a name known to allRed is a name known to allRed is a name known to allRed is a name known to allRed is a name known to allRed is a name known to all

Stunt competitions and stunt shows are two very different things. It's like comparing apples to oranges. At a comp, you're trying to win and be as technical as possible, with combos and tech tricks. At a show, the crowd just wants to see a good show, not 500 circles in a row. They don't give a crap about tech stuff. They want danger, smoke and wrecks.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Crashing SUCKS!!!

LAST CALL is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm all about the element of danger. I love watching all the high speed stuff because there is always that risk that someone is gonna eat it. Mad props to all the cats pulling off the slow technical stuff because it takes a lot of skill but it gets boring to watch after awhile. I can't watch a guy do a circle like 10 times in a row because I get bored with it. When me and my boys go out we hit the freeways and we do high speed stuff and that's always been exciting too me. I don't mind watching the slow technical stuff every now and then but I can only take so much of it. The crowds and people in general love that element of danger and always have and always will. Just my
Old 02-23-2006, 08:40 PM

boostnm3 is a decent person

i agree, the crowd wants to see wreckless, fast wheelies, skitches, not circles.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:01 PM

chad stuntmetal is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that the level of riding has reached a point where most everybody is doing the same circle combos , no handers , etc. It is all about style and being out of control , while being in control , the crowd seems to love watching u are the verge of eating pavement .....remember only the riders respect the technical tricks ........PS D your myspace clip of your run at stuntwars is one of the sickest runs i have ever seen , just like thomas says (the number 1 stunna)
Old 02-23-2006, 09:12 PM

isocyanates is a decent person

Originally Posted by Red
Stunt competitions and stunt shows are two very different things. It's like comparing apples to oranges. At a comp, you're trying to win and be as technical as possible, with combos and tech tricks. At a show, the crowd just wants to see a good show, not 500 circles in a row. They don't give a crap about tech stuff. They want danger, smoke and wrecks.
i agree with you 100%. each is different.
my point of view is as a fan and just learning.
like i said in other posts, the most exciting part of stunt wars is friday, and being at the back of the track! where all the riders feed off of each other, pushing to do better!! i don't know their names, but a couple of guys were endoing and resting their back wheel on the 55 gallon drum!! and kept pushing to do it better!! yeah its not the sickest trick but it was awesome to see them progress. also, everyone doing circles, and combos trying out do each other!! it was awesome!! the show watching one guy go back and forth was cool!! but for excitement the back of the track was where it was at!! darius, jason pullen, bullo, dan jackson and everyone else rockin sick circle combos!! thats what i feel is an awesome show!!! now as far as what people that don't understand the sport, i don't know how they think, but saturday evening a shitload of people made their way to back, and was blown away by everyone riding at the same time!! just my
Old 02-23-2006, 09:20 PM

SCOTT_Chychul has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I dont know what your talking about Darius,, i didnt just go out and do a 6 trick combo into circles then a chainsaw, only to loose to a single lawnmower burnout.. Stupid redneck crowds.. lol i shoulda done a christ.. i woulda been a champ..
Old 02-23-2006, 09:21 PM

hyperryder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GSE Nick
three words i hear when at a show and only three words DO A BURNOUT!...so now when i go to shows i bring a few spare tires! haha simple as that lol. crowd interaction is a great thing too, like games and such with other riders like last man standing sitting highchair pushing each other off bike and stuff. non-stunt riders don't know the difficulty of the tricks. like there's a guy at my work who swears his boy can ride 100 times better than me cause he can do a wheelie 3 miles long going 120mph....i don't even try to argue either no point...lol
do a burn out ya but it bullshiit when you get *****ed out for doing them ie we got creamed for it at sw but who cares as long as the crowd was happy they loved how we all started to do them at once they went nuts
Old 02-23-2006, 09:33 PM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Darius
I've got a new outlook on stunt competitions and how the general public and even mild enthusiast views our performances. I've done a few shows lately in front of a large non motorcycle audience's. I stood back in the crowd at stuntwars watching peoples runs and seeing what got the most attention from the people. There were alot of riders even big name guys that did some difficult tricks and the crowd was silent? Pfieffer comes by on the trials bike looking at the crowd doing a sit down wheelie pointing at them and they go crazy. Now most of us know it's about as hard as doing a one handed wheelie on a xr-50. Definatly not as hard or technical than someone busting combos on a big bike down the track but I saw many people do it and it was crickets in the stands! I love doing circles combo's, getting into highchairs and back out just because it's challenging to me when I'm riding and that makes it fun. But the crowd could probably care less about basic circles combos. I'm sure they would like to see getting in n out of highchair but you would most likely get the same response from them doing a circle with one handing off waving at them smiling. You can look at Pfieffers run at SW, nothing too technical about it but the crowd loved it and I thought it was sick too when I watched it from the stands. Just like Ac farias, the guy doesnt have a big bag of tricks but the tricks he does do he's got on lock and makes it look good. The 180 stoppie to wheelie then circle is the like standard trick for the euros. The more I think about it I realize it really doesnt matter what kind of bike you ride either. You could probably win stuntwars on a bone stock bike if you had your **** planned out right. What's the point of riding 600cc bikes now? Nobody gives a **** about the technical little tricks you can do on them and really it's not that exciting to watch besides a few tricks. I'm thinking I'm gonna go back to a bone stock 06 1000rr besides some gearing, cage, dampner etc. I figure I could pull off a sick enough run on it to entertain any crowd. I got into riding because of the speed not the stunts and riding a 180hp bike vs barely 100hp is way funner. Watching someone kill it on a bike like that I believe would be more entertaining. If we start gearing our sport towards the tricks that makes the crowds go ooohhhhh I believe it will get us where we want to be. I mean what the's point of wasting your time on technical **** when someone could skitch off the back and get the crowd going 10 times more? Any thoughts??

"i like the american style its very fast very dangerous"
AC Farias USBW 3

nowadays ppl are bustin their ***** to get circles down. i know when i get the Basic BP wheelie down i'll be happy and it makes ppl say wow to this day.
but i'm with ya 100%

to me as a fan this is the run that would make me **** my pants: high speed wheelies back and forth.... long endos , big fat smoky burnouts and i'm happy lol
throw in a couple circles and i'm more than happy.
i
Old 02-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Wheelie Ninja!

Kaneone is a decent person

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
don't forget to crash...

good point... from what ive seen of stuntwars crashing gains you a whole level of bonus points like it was its own catagorey of grade:

acro
wheelie
burnout
endo
wreck

DOH i knew i forgot to add something to my routine!

-kane
Old 02-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Wheelie Ninja!

Kaneone is a decent person

Originally Posted by chad stuntmetal
I believe that the level of riding has reached a point where most everybody is doing the same circle combos , no handers , etc. It is all about style and being out of control

not totally true.. some riders pride themselves on their own style and tricks that are in essence.. "theirs" other riders just do basic tricks and can score/win higher than the original ones. competitions *should* take execution into account.

being out of control is only one varient of style... some riders have a completely IN control style that is equally entertaining... AC farias.. he doesnt look wacky for instance...

-kane
Old 02-23-2006, 09:40 PM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kaneone
good point... from what ive seen of stuntwars crashing gains you a whole level of bonus points like it was its own catagorey of grade:

acro
wheelie
burnout
endo
wreck

DOH i knew i forgot to add something to my routine!

-kane

ppl would go nuts for that run lol
especially with the wreck at the end.

Quick Reply: Thoughts about competition, crowd entertainment