aftermarket exotic metal components (faring stays etc)??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 01:48 AM
1 footer wheelies!

Sillyneck is an unknown quantity at this point
aftermarket exotic metal components (faring stays etc)??

Does anyone care how much weight is added to the bike with steel parts? I run a steel upper faring stay (not too heavy) a pretty heavy steel cage and a steel 12 bar or tail protector. I don't think any of the added weight bothers me (30lbs maybe?) but I always hear people complaining about it and going to street fighter because of the weight required for strong stuff.

I got a tig welder so I could fix frames and subframes, rearsets in house, and so my teamates wouldn't whine anymore j/k. Then I got to thinking why can't I just build all the stuff I make out of steel in whatever metal I want now. Chromoly, Aluminum, titanium.

I just got all dialed in with exotic metal welding so I'm thinking I can make the stuff about as tough as the steel was. For sure the chromo and ti would be...but aluminum always pissed me off LOL

Back to the question...does anyone care about the weight? Would people fork out more money for lighter/stronger stuff? I think I'm going to baller my **** out and see how it goes. get ready for the pimp **** at stuntwars kids
Old 11-09-2005, 02:34 AM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person
Re: aftermarket exotic metal components (faring stays etc)??

Just out of curiosity, how much heavier is your cage than a 905? I know yours is beefy as hell. I'd say there would be a market for the better stuff also. Probably not as much as something cheaper because you know how we all are about everything we can get for free/cheap.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:28 AM

nwstuntbike is an unknown quantity at this point

lighter and stronger is always good,but here's my experience with chromoly, we run J&J full chromoly frames for our spint cars which are tuff as hell until they reach the breaking point in which the will always snap in two liek a twig,mainly form those ruff nights where car meets wall at 120mph so in my early daze of fabing around with my first cage designs i tried some diferent chromo sizes and whatnot ,and at first they seemed coo they flexed a lil to much for my likeing but it would always go right back to it's origonal shape until the first ''real crash'' from 12 and beyond that ish snapped like a twig and did more damage than having no cage at all,and i'm not goin to name any names here but there's a certain major cage company who makes most of there's out of this same chromo,and i'm not tryin to bash here! but everytime i've witnessed one drop hard they always snap and most of the time end up doin alot more damage than it should have with steel,pipe,tube and all that good stuff you don't get the snapping effect ,and for that i'll always use it untill something better an dmore cost efective comes along,sure steel's wiegh more and the tubes bend from time to time but i feel that's a small price to pay for protecting a thousand dolla motor and more! take this lil story for example: i showed up at the track back in july a team of semi-new guys invited me to come out and give them pointers and in return hooked me up with track time,cool that in it self was worth gold.then boom they start wrecking one after another the one that really stands ,started to pull off a watch tower it got wobbly so he bailed the bike did it's thing then bada bingo it's doin the chicken and boom it hits dead on the right side of the cage then bounced up and over to the left,not only did the cage break in three spots he smashed the right side case left side case and both covers of course ,levers peg the whole nine yards on this poor minty 929,then he comes over to me said he seen my ish fall from 12 at the home depot show and if i'd please hook him up not only did i do a cage and 12 bar,i had just blew my 929 motor and had the case and covers,he bought those a clutch a lever a stator and a tip switch ,lol long story short ,to the bigg guys making chromo cages for the 929/954 and gixy's keep it up your making my house payments
Old 11-09-2005, 06:26 AM
SERVIN IT UP

Darius is a decent person

it's ok Sillyneck we know you like fat girls
Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 AM

Division1 Ryan is an unknown quantity at this point

I still need that U shaped peice that the guages sit in. I dont care what you make it out of, but if can you hook me up I would appeciate it. Let me know how much you want for it.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:05 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Originally Posted by Division1 Ryan
I still need that U shaped peice that the guages sit in. I dont care what you make it out of, but if can you hook me up I would appeciate it. Let me know how much you want for it.
Same here they crack as soon as I put then on! Make it and I'll buy it
Old 11-09-2005, 11:03 AM
1 footer wheelies!

Originally Posted by Darius
it's ok Sillyneck we know you like fat girls
goddamnit...you uncovered my secret! I've been snapping stock subframes with the fatties on board. I need to beef it up so I can keep pleasing the beefy women

Kyle- my cage is pretty damn heavy compared to 905. I notice it on the f4i's alot. 905's is nice and light and centered on the bike, but mine mounts from that middle motor mount and goes forward from there so it's heavy-ish and up high in the air. Doesn't seem to bother the riders tho.

Brian- chromo in the tube diam I'm using with the wall thickness I'm considering isn't going to be flexy as a motorcycle cage. it would be more indestructable than the stuff I have now. it would lose 1/3 the weight I extimate.

Ryan/johny...race farings or stock?

I don't have a stock faring anymore to build off. hell I don't think there's a 636 left in sacramento with a stock faring LOL I'll see what I can come up with...maybe I can just copy that upper wing..I have a few of them floating around the shop. stay on me...badger me with PM's and whatnot...or I'll forget because I drink heavily
Old 11-09-2005, 12:02 PM

Stock Fairings. I need one BAD!!!!!!!!! I cant hold on to it during circles because the upper fairin flops all over the place. Make one DO IT!!!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:22 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

ZANNMANN can only hope to improve

i also run homemade steel parts ,and i like em
Old 11-09-2005, 02:20 PM

DEBO is a decent person
Re: aftermarket exotic (faring stays etc)??

Im sure you know that I dont really care :YEAH

DEBOFABS.COM
Old 11-10-2005, 04:33 AM

Nick Apex is a decent person

Phil you need someone to "test" the parts, and you know that I "test" my bike more than anyone and in a way that physics majors couldn't map. So I'm looking at 50 bucks and thinking hmmm Phil likes 50 bucks, and I like diamond encrusted titanium bars.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:27 AM

jowalskiMO is an unknown quantity at this point

a titanium cage would be sweet so when you wrecked 130mph power wheelies it started forest fire!!!!
I have always wondered why cage companies didnt use Chromo for cages... from riding bmx, frame companies only used chromo for "high end" frames...............
i say do it
Old 11-10-2005, 10:45 AM
1 footer wheelies!

Originally Posted by jowalskiMO
a titanium cage would be sweet so when you wrecked 130mph power wheelies it started forest fire!!!!
I have always wondered why cage companies didnt use Chromo for cages... from riding bmx, frame companies only used chromo for "high end" frames...............
i say do it
I think FI uses chromo on some of their stuff.

Nick- bring that bucket of crap to sac and I'll set it up nice. But you're getting STEEL...that's the only damn thing that could survive your abuse. your bike will look like a jungle gym when I'm through
Old 11-10-2005, 11:47 AM

jowalskiMO is an unknown quantity at this point

jungle gym bwhahahahahahhahahahhahahahhaahahaha
Old 11-10-2005, 01:31 PM
1 footer wheelies!

Originally Posted by jowalskiMO
jungle gym bwhahahahahahhahahahhahahahhaahahaha
he'll be all....do I hold the clip ons or hang from the monkey bars?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:36 PM

Eric Whitcomb is an unknown quantity at this point

I ride a 1K so I don't really care about a little extra weight.

I think there are a lot of people out there that would though. Strong and light has always been a plus to most consumers in every sport.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:47 PM

truekaotik is an unknown quantity at this point

ya here is my cage we made out of steel and it works great plus u dont have that tube hittin u in the shin.and i dont notice the weight difference..way cheaper
Old 11-11-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by truekaotik
ya here is my cage we made out of steel and it works great plus u dont have that tube hittin u in the shin.and i dont notice the weight difference..way cheaper
Yep, thats a cage alright.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:21 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding cages, i think there is much more room for improvment that doesn't involve switching to different metels/alloys. Most importantly, i think they should find a 3rd mounting point on each side of the bike. This would allow the cages to be lighter, and yet stronger; and would stop flexing, stripping bolts, and cracking cases.
For example, on my homemade cage, i don't have a third mounting point but i have a piece of delrin on each side of the cage that fits up against the front part of the engine block. Besides those pieces of delrin, i have 4 sliders in the cage that absorb impact. During one crash, the bike caught some air and landed on the left side so hard that it broke some rivits in the exhaust pipe (which didn't touch the ground) yet nothing else was damaged. That cage has taken some serious hits and doesn't even flex.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:33 PM
1 footer wheelies!

Originally Posted by f4rider
Regarding cages, i think there is much more room for improvment that doesn't involve switching to different metels/alloys. Most importantly, i think they should find a 3rd mounting point on each side of the bike. This would allow the cages to be lighter, and yet stronger; and would stop flexing, stripping bolts, and cracking cases.
For example, on my homemade cage, i don't have a third mounting point but i have a piece of delrin on each side of the cage that fits up against the front part of the engine block. Besides those pieces of delrin, i have 4 sliders in the cage that absorb impact. During one crash, the bike caught some air and landed on the left side so hard that it broke some rivits in the exhaust pipe (which didn't touch the ground) yet nothing else was damaged. That cage has taken some serious hits and doesn't even flex.
hahah hurt one of my cages....bang your shin on one of my cages.....I dare you to scrape it in a turn I got the mounting point thing solved 2 years ago....now everyone in sac that doesn't have my cage captains my ideas and booger welds some **** together that still works good!

The worst thing that's happened to one of my cages built in the last year was that the kid slides out sooooo hard and soooo often in fast circles he finally wore through a tube LOL still has all his levers, clip ons, plastics, rearsets and pegs.

Quick Reply: aftermarket exotic metal components (faring stays etc)??