1997 GSXR...gear it up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 04:50 PM

JBosworth22 is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 GSXR...gear it up?

I need some advice on re-gearing my 1997 GSXR-750. I can not seem to Bring wheelies up in second gear. I have tried everything. I have heard that going down one tooth on the front sprocket and up two in the back will help me with this. I want to be able to do slower wheelies but first gear is too twitchy. If anyone has done this to their bike please let me know if down one and up two is the way to go. Thanks
-Jason
Old 09-04-2005, 05:41 PM

da Liks is a decent person
Re: 1997 GSXR...gear it up?

1st aint too twitchy, just get used to it.. slow wheelies in 2nd ??
Old 09-04-2005, 05:55 PM
STOP THE BUCKING!!!!!!!!!

FSPalex will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by da Liks
1st aint too twitchy, just get used to it.. slow wheelies in 2nd ??
yeah what do you mean by slow? some ppl consider 30-40 mph slow thats what im guessing hes talking about. -1 +2 is pretty much stock gearing you will barely notice a difference
Old 09-04-2005, 07:28 PM

camilion4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wierd my firends has the same bike with higher gearing for top speed, and he can still yank it up in 2nd. How are your carbs cleaned in a while? Well any way you can go down 1 and up 5 and that shold help some. Now keep in mind that it will just make 2nd twitchy like 1st, have you attempted to clutch it, since suzukis have the strongest clutch plate stock of all bikes. my firends bike was easier to stunt slow in 1st because it did not take much clutch to bring it up. If you go down in gearing power wheelies will still be fast unless you clutch it with the lower sproks. The change to higher made it less torqey but more prodictable. Oh last thing denniskirk has some cheap sproks check em out.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:47 PM

Sorry guys,
I guess I didn't specify enough...I can bring the front tire off a lil in second but I want to gear it so it is easy to clutch up like first is. I just don't see how guys are bringing them up on the highway and stuff. I am good enough in first to ride them but I guess what I want is wheelies goin like 40-50 mph. I have been clutching them up and riding stand ups. I read the one thread about wheelies which was awesome. It really helped me get the concept down. So I think the problem now is my machine not the operator. get back to me if you have any good advice. Thanks.
-Jason
Also if anyone has any good input on shifting. I have been hesitant to attempt a mid-wheelie shift in fear that I might loop it.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:49 PM
STOP THE BUCKING!!!!!!!!!

FSPalex will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JBosworth22
Sorry guys,
I guess I didn't specify enough...I can bring the front tire off a lil in second but I want to gear it so it is easy to clutch up like first is. I just don't see how guys are bringing them up on the highway and stuff. I am good enough in first to ride them but I guess what I want is wheelies goin like 40-50 mph. I have been clutching them up and riding stand ups. I read the one thread about wheelies which was awesome. It really helped me get the concept down. So I think the problem now is my machine not the operator. get back to me if you have any good advice. Thanks.
-Jason
Also if anyone has any good input on shifting. I have been hesitant to attempt a mid-wheelie shift in fear that I might loop it.

why do people wanna shift gears in wheelies? i never understood that, 2nd gear goes up to like 90 and 3rd gear ou can get over 100
Old 09-04-2005, 09:32 PM

suzuki lance is an unknown quantity at this point

well i had a 97 srad and with stock gearing i was pulling up 3rd gear wheelies standing up with ease. when i got into the slow stuff i went up 10 in the rear and that was the best thing i have ever done to my bike for the parking lot and the street. after the gearing i was pulling up 4th gear like nothing. personally i don't touch the front sprocket.

my avatar was with stock gearing and that was second
Old 09-04-2005, 09:57 PM

Joey D is a decent person

Keep practicing. My 96 F3 will come up in second no problem.. I was once where you are. Trust me, it's not the bike. Good luck though..
Old 09-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can gear it to come up just as easy in 2nd as it does in first, but it will go just as fast in second geared as it did in first with stock gears. Keep practicing, that bike will come up easy in second.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:35 AM

well what am I doing wrong? Ive tried going both fast and slow and trying to clutch it up in second...nothing seems to be working even with bouncing it. Im desperate for ideas. I wish every gear was as easy as first.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:44 AM

I rode my firends today and I notice that it is a little harder to get it up but as I began to go faster it came up. On most big bikes 750s 1000s you have more rpm you will have to go faster to bounce it up, But I did clutch his up going 60 in second. I still doint have the ***** to try to slow it down but as long as the bike pulls then it can be clutch at that speed.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:33 AM

izit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by camilion4
I rode my firends today and I notice that it is a little harder to get it up but as I began to go faster it came up. On most big bikes 750s 1000s you have more rpm you will have to go faster to bounce it up, But I did clutch his up going 60 in second. I still doint have the ***** to try to slow it down but as long as the bike pulls then it can be clutch at that speed.

i found it the opposite, i was trying to clutch it up too high up the revs, i was convinced it was the bike, as 1st was easy. i can get em straight up to BP from around 10mph ( still cant keepem that slow ) but it really needs a big hit of throttle compared to 1st. Thats on a 900rr on stock gearing. Took me weeks to get it but when u do ull wonder what all the problem was . just my , hope it helps ya, good luck
Old 09-05-2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by izit
i found it the opposite, i was trying to clutch it up too high up the revs, i was convinced it was the bike, as 1st was easy. i can get em straight up to BP from around 10mph ( still cant keepem that slow ) but it really needs a big hit of throttle compared to 1st. Thats on a 900rr on stock gearing. Took me weeks to get it but when u do ull wonder what all the problem was . just my , hope it helps ya, good luck
Yeah I do agree I guess it just depends on your gearing his 750 is geared low fo his rpms are low on the free way so I have t go faster to get it up, If it was geared higher like he had it at first he would need to go slower to get it up since higher gearing is quicker.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Clutch it up wherever the power is in the rpm range. Start off at 20mph in 2nd gear on a straight stretch of road and gas wide open all the way up to the top of the tach. Keep an eye on the tach and notice where the rpms are when you really feel the bike pull. Probably around 7-8K rpms. Then all you have to do is practice the clutch. You are probably not getting on the gas hard enough after you drop the clutch. Its all practice. Experiment and you will figure it out. Take baby steps and be safe.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lb3
Clutch it up wherever the power is in the rpm range. Start off at 20mph in 2nd gear on a straight stretch of road and gas wide open all the way up to the top of the tach. Keep an eye on the tach and notice where the rpms are when you really feel the bike pull. Probably around 7-8K rpms. Then all you have to do is practice the clutch. You are probably not getting on the gas hard enough after you drop the clutch. Its all practice. Experiment and you will figure it out. Take baby steps and be safe.
Yeah he is right. When I did clutch the 750 I just closed the clutch then at the time to reopen it you go with the gas then back off when you get to the bp. Some people rev it twice, then your tach gose down take your time learing but be quick in your clutch out gas on time so ther is no lag to getting it up.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:27 PM

izit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lb3

yea , my problem was deffinately coz i wern't hitting the gas anywhere near hard enough, dont worrry dude coz i thought i was never gonna get em up in second, it comes with practice and good advise (thanks THU6S )