2 basic wheelie questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:26 PM

cheeseball is an unknown quantity at this point
2 basic wheelie questions

1) what finger do you use to pull in the clutch when doing a wheelie? index or middle? I've heard both from different people so seeing what the verdict is from the majority.

2) when you first started wheelies, were you sitting or standing? and if standing, did you put a foot on the passenger peg or just stand up where you were at?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:58 PM

theSWAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2 basic wheelie questions

1) use both

2) sitting
Old 08-18-2005, 10:05 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

1) Index only

2) Learned standing on both front pegs about 5 years ago high speed junk--now I'm staggered/sit-down/on the pavement for slow stuff.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by cheeseball
1) what finger do you use to pull in the clutch when doing a wheelie? index or middle? I've heard both from different people so seeing what the verdict is from the majority.

2) when you first started wheelies, were you sitting or standing? and if standing, did you put a foot on the passenger peg or just stand up where you were at?
Index and middle

Standing with left foot on passenger peg.

yes, make sure you cover the rear brake (you didn't ask it, but you should).
Old 08-18-2005, 10:26 PM

STUDROCK is a decent person

index finger only well thats what i like i can get off the clutch faster

i learned on the front but now i go left foot on rear peg

Ninner had a GREAT point always keep your foot by the break when i first started i seemed to always have my foot under the break try not to get into that bad habbit.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Get-er-done

Kerns BBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Index only and rear peg.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:56 AM

sWiFtY 50 is an unknown quantity at this point

1) index

2) I started sitting but then moved to stand up quickly and now standups are a **** ton easier. Left foot on passenger peg and right on rearset
Old 08-19-2005, 03:30 AM

cheeseball is an unknown quantity at this point

so many of you seem to have started out standing up with the left foot on the passenger peg and the right covering the brake... i don't even know if this is a question it just seems like you have so much less control doing it that way. i know it would come up way easier but is it worth sacrificing the control/comfort? especially when just learning?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:43 AM

Tdeal28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I learned standing on the rearsets and bouncing the bike up.....I know that this is not the prefered method but it seemed to be the easiest to get down for me...I can also clutch up the bike now which seems a lot better, but as far as the staggered stance goes, I am trying to get use to the body position. My biggest problem is not equalling my body weight out evenlly. Usually the bikes goes right....but I am working on that.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:54 AM

KF_Chris is a decent person

there's not really any sacrifice for control or comfort, it seems like it but that's because it's a new riding position. I pull the clutch with two fingers for regular whoolies and one for spreaders.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:32 AM

truekaotik is an unknown quantity at this point

1&2) sitdown use both fingers, after comfortable use index only, once u feel that sitdowns are easy go to normal stand ups w/ one finger.and on and on and circle whollies!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:27 AM

9FIVE4 is an unknown quantity at this point

index finger, left foot passenger peg- seems to be more comfortable and stable to me b/c you have a wider stance, which helps me keep my balance easier
Old 08-19-2005, 09:30 AM

cjb08 is an unknown quantity at this point

just curious? why does everybody always say to cover the brake? i ride staggered and i have been working for months to use the brake while im up, but i think for somebody just learning if they arent using the brake when they ride their wheelies they probably wont be able/capable of using it when their about to loop. just a thought.
chris
Old 08-19-2005, 09:35 AM

loop a wheelie, then you'll see why you have to cover the brake.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:46 AM

cjb08 is an unknown quantity at this point

that wasnt what i was saying. i understand, but i think that "cover the rear brake" can be misleading. they should be learning to use it when their up, u know. not just covering it. if they have never used the brake when they are up in the wheelie their probably not going to hit it when they are about to loop (even if they are covering it). maybe im wrong. im definitely not giving advice (still learning myself).
chris
Old 08-19-2005, 09:52 AM

CKxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjb08
that wasnt what i was saying. i understand, but i think that "cover the rear brake" can be misleading. they should be learning to use it when their up, u know. not just covering it. if they have never used the brake when they are up in the wheelie their probably not going to hit it when they are about to loop (even if they are covering it). maybe im wrong. im definitely not giving advice (still learning myself).
chris
I think all that is implied by the saying 'cover the brake.' If you have your foot on it, and aren't prepaired to use it...then...I dn, maybe it should be time for a nice set of rollerskates or somthing safer.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:46 AM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point

pointer finger(index?) only, staggered stance...u cover the brake beacause if ur goin to loop u might hit it on accidnet and save ur self...lol
Old 08-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by cjb08
chris
It's good to get into the habit of hitting the rear brake when that "oh $hit" reflex kicks in. For a beginner that "oh $hit" reflex is lower than ballance point. So you come up, get scared, hit the rear brake and come back down. Soon you get comfortable with the feeling of having the bike up that high, and you start hitting the brake softer and softer. Then you get a feel for the ballace point and the rear brake and can rock blocks. That's pretty much how most people learn now.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:35 PM

I agree with that.
it's better to learn throttle control on fast ****, and have your foot over the brake just in case you go back way too far. lots of people ride with the toe under the brake and that's not right for us.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:45 PM

mainerdr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CKxx
maybe it should be time for a nice set of rollerskates or somthing safer.

Quick Reply: 2 basic wheelie questions