Bottom End Blew - Could it be oil pick-up related?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:51 AM

Padros is an unknown quantity at this point
Bottom End Blew - Could it be oil pick-up related?

Howdy Guys...

Just wanted to ask about oil pick ups and motor wear. I've got a k2 gix1000 and I blew it's engine this week.
What I wanted to ask is whether any of you know if riding around on the street with your oil pick up done for stunts can kill your motor? Anyone else ride their stunter around for things other then stunts?
The only thing I've changed recently on the bike was the oil pick up and I ride the stunt bike to work everyday (20k's so maybe 13 miles each way). It may not be related but I want to know as I'm throwing another engine in on the weekend and don't want to f*ck it up if that was the cause. The pick-up was back yard made by just looking at the Stuntex pics on their website and making one similar (Bracket with straight tube going down) I did actually try and buy a Stuntex one but it seems those fools don't want business from OZ cos I tried e-mailing them to place an order at least 4 times with no response so said f*ck it! I'll make my own.
Now the major thing that has me puzzled here is that the oil light stopped going off like it used to when the bike was on the bar so I gather the pick up was working well. So if it wasn't good to do to many miles on the bike on 2 wheels, why didn't the oil light go off and warn me?

This is why I'm thinking that it's probably unrelated and it was the motors time to go rather then a shitty made pick up or me riding to long with both hoops to the ground.

Though I'd like to know if I'm wrong.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:47 AM

yzfrone is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bottom End Blew - Could it be oil pick-up related?

Originally Posted by BashPlate
Howdy Guys...

Just wanted to ask about oil pick ups and motor wear. I've got a k2 gix1000 and I blew it's engine this week.
What I wanted to ask is whether any of you know if riding around on the street with your oil pick up done for stunts can kill your motor? Anyone else ride their stunter around for things other then stunts?
The only thing I've changed recently on the bike was the oil pick up and I ride the stunt bike to work everyday (20k's so maybe 13 miles each way). It may not be related but I want to know as I'm throwing another engine in on the weekend and don't want to f*ck it up if that was the cause. The pick-up was back yard made by just looking at the Stuntex pics on their website and making one similar (Bracket with straight tube going down) I did actually try and buy a Stuntex one but it seems those fools don't want business from OZ cos I tried e-mailing them to place an order at least 4 times with no response so said f*ck it! I'll make my own.
Now the major thing that has me puzzled here is that the oil light stopped going off like it used to when the bike was on the bar so I gather the pick up was working well. So if it wasn't good to do to many miles on the bike on 2 wheels, why didn't the oil light go off and warn me?

This is why I'm thinking that it's probably unrelated and it was the motors time to go rather then a shitty made pick up or me riding to long with both hoops to the ground.

Though I'd like to know if I'm wrong.
sounds like its related.

did you copy to spec? size and diameter?

have you taken a look at the thing you made after it blew? was i damaged?

i have a guy who has 24k miles on his 1k with no problems.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point

Now the major thing that has me puzzled here is that the oil light stopped going off like it used to when the bike was on the bar so I gather the pick up was working well.

I think it could have been previous wear, since you mentioned the light was on many times in the past.

My oil light never came on on my 01 750, I was revving high on one wheel and bogged down. Figured it was just oil and cleaned out my airbox after it took me an hour to get it started again. Anyway, coming home from NYC one day the thing destroyed itself. Related or not motors blow.

I wouldn't blame it on the pickup, no light means its getting oil BUT the light only comes on when there is NO pressure, you may be running low in pressure..... .02

Camo Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by not_me
the light only comes on when there is NO pressure, you may be running low in pressure..... .02

Yep. It has to be at just the right distance from the bottom of the pan or you will have problems.

If anyone cant get ahold of ryan via email, pm him on here.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lb3
If anyone cant get ahold of ryan via email, pm him on here.
I second that and should have mentioned it before. Ryan is a good dude and helped me out when I ordered my pickup for my 750. Else, I can always get one and send it to you dog!

Camo Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 03:10 PM

cutter is a decent person

Originally Posted by not_me
I second that and should have mentioned it before. Ryan is a good dude and helped me out when I ordered my pickup for my 750. Else, I can always get one and send it to you dog!

Camo Mike
I third that I am in JAMAICA And i got my oil pick up. I also blow my engine a couple week ago & was wondering if it was the pickup
Old 07-21-2005, 03:24 PM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

That sux about your situation with ordering a pick up. Ryan is a good business man for sure. Unlike a lot of companies out there that people work at and that is all they do. Sell there stuff and stunt. Ryan works 10-12hr days as a motorcycle dealer mechanic, does the stuntex gig, and he just recently had a kid. Like LB3 said, you can always get a hold of him on stuntlife with a PM. Or the Texas Forum on here.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't think about the point that the pick-up may have not been getting enough oil. I just assumed that the light goes on when there is low pressure, didn't know it meant its not getting ANY oil!!
So maybe running it around with not enough pressure caused it cos either the diamter of the tube was to thin or the pick up was too long/short?

See the pick-up we made we had no specs to go off other thena bloody picture on a website so pulled the original one off, fabricated a steel bracket the same as the original plastic one, then got some steel tubing and welded it to the bracket and made it roughly long enough to be an inch or two away from the bottom off the sump.
Cos engines are pricey freaking things, I didn't mind paying for a properly made one as I would be fairly confident with a proven product.

MSE, dude I tried e-mailing Ryan several times (he's e-mail is on their website) then I tried the only other e-mail listed on the site and also got no responses. I waited a month and then gave up. Didn't know I had to track people down on forums to place a simple order.
Anyhow, if anyone has a gix pick up lying around would you mind measuring the thing for me? I'd really appreciate it cos now I'll be paranoid as F to put that thing on the new engine were about to put into my bike this weekend. Can't afford another one after this!!

Cheers
Old 07-21-2005, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by cutter
I third that I am in JAMAICA And i got my oil pick up. I also blow my engine a couple week ago & was wondering if it was the pickup
Did you buy a proper one or a backyard one off ebay or something?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:44 PM

Bump bump bump....so anyone have any info that can help? Cmon there's must be a whole heap of cats on this site that ride gixxers with extended oil pick ups.

Look at the pic...I don't want to be doing this again anytime soon so any hints advice would rock!! :YEAH
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine-003.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	146842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine-010.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	146843  
Old 07-25-2005, 03:11 AM

What do I have to do to get a response here...cmon peeps!!! You cant tell me that there aint no ****'s on here that use their stunt bikes for street riding with the oil pick up mod done? Or no one who knows about them that can tell us if wheels on the ground riding f*cks your modded bike or if it's bad specs from home made one's.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:22 AM

Spencer75south is an unknown quantity at this point

its 2 am man. chill out, peeps will get online soon lol
Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Get-er-done

Kerns BBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Bump bump bump....so anyone have any info that can help? Cmon there's must be a whole heap of cats on this site that ride gixxers with extended oil pick ups.

Look at the pic...I don't want to be doing this again anytime soon so any hints advice would rock!! :YEAH
Looks like you should be on the Flintstones!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:18 AM
It Ain't Easy Bein Cheesy

Dano is an unknown quantity at this point

What do I have to do to get a response here...cmon peeps!!! You cant tell me that there aint no ****'s on here that use their stunt bikes for street riding with the oil pick up mod done? Or no one who knows about them that can tell us if wheels on the ground riding f*cks your modded bike or if it's bad specs from home made one's.
i got a stuntex p/u in my gsxr, no probs street riding/2 wheels. couldn't tell you the length. sounds like it's probably the home made one.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:37 AM

cutter is a decent person

Did you buy a proper one or a backyard one off ebay or something?
It's a Stunt ex pick my friend bill from fullthrottle ordered it and ship it to me
Old 07-30-2005, 12:36 AM

MR. RYAN SMITH is an unknown quantity at this point

Not Sure How I Missed This Thread, But Can Always Be Reached Here. There Alot Of Missing Factors Here, How Your Pickup Was Setup? Exactly What Failed In The Motor? Condition Of The Rest Of The Motor? Etc.