FMF Exhausts - Shorty cans!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:01 PM

Jason Britton is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: FMF Exhausts - Shorty cans!!

I have personally tested these cans for a couple weeks now and the biggest advantage to me is the smooth power delivery in the mid range that seems to be non existent when you shorten a can on the 600s. Their design was specific to function, short enough to clear for stunting and still deliver very smooth power. They may not be for everyone but atleast we have yet another company out there looking out for our needs and supporting our sport.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:26 PM

keeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by truestunna
Would be nice if they put a removable baffle in it so you could keep it quite when you want, and loud when you don't. Probably isn't a good idea to be makin them out of titanium from a cost perspective, most people aren't gonna give a **** about having a titanium exhaust on their stunt piece, tell them to do stainless and keep the cost down.
They do make a removable baffle that keeps down the noise some:

Quiet Core Insert
Old 07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

I think it's a good idea ... I'd drop for one .... Only other company that produces them is Kerker for the Starboyz ... Noise is only an issue if you don't have a safe spot to ride ... only thing I would want to know is cost ...

o/t - Britton you still doing that show in ohio next week?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:29 PM

John LegionST is a decent person

Two very good points made here!

Originally Posted by Jason Britton
I have personally tested these cans for a couple weeks now and the biggest advantage to me is the smooth power delivery in the mid range that seems to be non existent when you shorten a can on the 600s.

They may not be for everyone but atleast we have yet another company out there looking out for our needs and supporting our sport.

1) that is very good to here that they keep a good smooth low/mid range!!!
it made me think of something... we're talking about cans right now... imagine if a company made a FULL SYSTEM taylored to stunt riders... stay with me here, lol. Full systems currently available are made for road racers... they sacrafice low end for monster hit, lots of midrange and screaming top end power. Now imagine if a company made a FULL SYSTEM that did the exact opposite. Sacrafice your top end power (which we never use anyway) for MORE And SMOOTHER low and mid power! Yes it is possible, look at trials bikes, there pipes are made to deliver incredible amounts of low end torque! hmmm, something to think about!

2) YES, it is VERY nice and important to see a company as big as FMF taking a look at stunt riding and considering designing parts specific to our style of riding! Thank you to FMF!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:37 PM

Jessica Maine is a decent person

i say that's pretty sick for them do take the time to design one!!!

lol.... but I can't even afford to buy a sprocket! ...
Old 07-21-2005, 04:05 PM

LivingCanvas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by truestunna
Would be nice if they put a removable baffle in it so you could keep it quite when you want, and loud when you don't. Probably isn't a good idea to be makin them out of titanium from a cost perspective, most people aren't gonna give a **** about having a titanium exhaust on their stunt piece, tell them to do stainless and keep the cost down.
+1.

Definatly forget about the titanium and make it out of stainless, and im in for sure
Old 07-21-2005, 04:38 PM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough

they will end up on stretched busas and ****
Old 07-21-2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRashChic
i say that's pretty sick for them do take the time to design one!!!

lol.... but I can't even afford to buy a sprocket! ...
But you can buy a Canon 20D???!!! And drive from Texas to Laguna at $2.50 a gallon, sounds like you are confused...

I'm sure shorty can will start popping up on all types of stuff!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Wheelie Ninja!

Kaneone is a decent person

Originally Posted by john LegionST
Two very good points made here!

1) that is very good to here that they keep a good smooth low/mid range!!!
it made me think of something... we're talking about cans right now... imagine if a company made a FULL SYSTEM taylored to stunt riders... stay with me here, lol. Full systems currently available are made for road racers... they sacrafice low end for monster hit, lots of midrange and screaming top end power. Now imagine if a company made a FULL SYSTEM that did the exact opposite. Sacrafice your top end power (which we never use anyway) for MORE And SMOOTHER low and mid power! Yes it is possible, look at trials bikes, there pipes are made to deliver incredible amounts of low end torque! hmmm, something to think about!

2) YES, it is VERY nice and important to see a company as big as FMF taking a look at stunt riding and considering designing parts specific to our style of riding! Thank you to FMF!
If your not using you top end... might need to rethink your riding!!

i know i frequent the rev limiter, in my eyes theres no other way to it than a sick fast high reving HC scrape!!

but i agree a full system designed to give us a little more low end grunt would be nice!!

PROBLEM: they just designed shorty cans... FOR JUST THAT!! and people are already crying why waste their time with full systems if the shorties dont sell!!

and the titanium advantage is ridiculous.. their Steel is still an awesome product but the titanium is a completely different design! much high build quaility.

fact is exactly like thomas said.. while stunters might be poor bastards.. the majority of riders are not! and the majority of the new stunters arent either and want only the best!!

I know folks who buy bikes and drop over a 1k "stunting" them out before they even ride em.. Welcome to Socal!!

FMF... much love !

-kane
Old 07-21-2005, 10:34 PM

Ryan S is a decent person

it's cool that they are supporting our sport....however....i think they will be disapointed in their sales----it's a hell of a lot easier to take a slightly rashed up can that you buy from your buddy for 20 bucks and cut 4 inches off it and re-pop rivet it....than spending 200 bucks on a fmf can

stunters are cheap, just ask anybody that has tried selling dvd's at a stunt competition.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:56 AM

Damn next thing you know people will start running used oil in their bikes too!!!!
I can hear the pennies rubbing together already.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:25 AM

tokyojrock is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd get alot of them for my shop!
Old 07-22-2005, 04:00 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Dirty B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DSOG Thomas
they will end up on stretched busas and ****
LOL...Too true.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:36 AM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

i wouldnt drop anymore than 30 bucks on a stunt exhaust...people have beat up aftermarket and stock exhausts laying in their garage everywhere...
Old 07-22-2005, 09:53 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by keeth
Damn next thing you know people will start running used oil in their bikes too!!!!
I only change my oil once every other year, would that count?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:29 AM

Ryan S is a decent person

i get free oil.....so i tend to change mine fairly often.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:38 PM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

how about making the exhaust tailor more to stunters than other exhaust even stock???

1) make the union with the midpipe flexible or "breakaway" for hard crashes

2) incorporate a replaceable "slider" on the side to keep it looking good for shows/comps/taping or whatever else, so you can change the slider and it still looks good

3) many companies have swappable end caps that change the sound and/or power delivery of the exhaust, IDS even makes an off-road exhaust that can somewhat be tuned by adding and removing discs from the spark arrested endcap!!!

4) as said before, stunters are cheap, I own 2-3 stunt dvds TOPS(, but want all of them of course). SO make the can affordable with a quiter endcap and bolted "slider" for close to $200, then offer other add-ons like end-caps, replacement sliders(color/material/finish???), and other add-ons that could be sold LATER....like when we get paid every two weeks!!!

I'm a college student, and WOULD get one, BUT I ride a 600RR, so it wouldn't make as much sense to get one, but if I switch to an F4i, I will definately get one(or beg for one) except maybe for coasters, but even then I could prolly just cut the endcap off my $200 Jardine pipe!!!!
This is just how I look at it, but I think a lot of companies are gona be dissappointed in sales with stunters, unless they sell something we almost NEED....like cages, sprockets,....

Now if they also offered a stunt "kit" that was partnered with a cage company and/or sprocket company where you could buy everything in a one-time deal that might help them out......Get the credit card out and order 905 cage($250-275), -1/+20 with chain($200) Thrust Company, FMF Shorty($200??) all for like $550-600. They would sell alot more, the cage company would have to make more/sell more, and the sprocket company would have to make more/sell more. Plus a one-time purchase on the credit card is usually easier to swallow for most people then ordering from all different companies 2 weeks apart and waiting all summer to get your stuff in!! This would work alot better for the new people getting into this, especially if they are like Kane was talking about...add a damper and 12 bar and they are set for almost whatever they wanna try.....and they pay for it all at once since they got the cash!
Old 07-22-2005, 07:23 PM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point

i love that fmf is supporting the sport, but honestly i dont think i could get myself to drop $200+ on a shorter exhuast. granted that im 17 and dont exactly work all the time but when i can get a stock exhaust cut and welded for $30 its difficult to drop $200+ on a pipe that is basically the same thing. if someone could prove a real noticable difference in power then they might sell ok but unless its a big difference i dont think u will see much sales
Old 07-22-2005, 07:43 PM
myspace.com/redlinepeyton

Peyton is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about the shorty but I've been running the normal Titanium for about 2 years and I like it alot. it's much shorter than stock and not to loud.

So like Emrock said.....if you want to send me the shorty I'll let you know the difference....

Old 07-22-2005, 09:06 PM

02_1_Liter is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with eazentuz33... Design it to take the abuse of stunting and still look good and perform at the end of the day.

Look at most of our bikes. Do you really think they are trashed because we think it looks cool? We have to spend our money just to keep them up and running, and it cost a fortune just to do that.
I'm fortunate enough to have both a "nice bike" and a stunt bike. I have the cash to spend. But most of us dont. There's no way I'm going to drop the dough for a can when it's going to be trashed in no time.
Like I said, design it to take the abuse and they will have a winner.

Quick Reply: FMF Exhausts - Shorty cans!!