Rules in the Lot? Consequences suck...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:26 AM

fitzonthemark is an unknown quantity at this point
Rules in the Lot? Consequences suck...

Last Sunday a guy died in the parking lot where we ride. He wasn't somebody that regularly stunts. We've been riding in a closed Big K parking lot (like a Super Walmart). It's been drawing some big crowds, usually around 20-30 bikes on a Sunday. Most people just come out and watch, but a few of the nonstunters will ride hella fast sitdowns, standups, whatever. This guy did a sitdown towards the building (loading area), was going too fast, set it down, locked up the brakes, and high sided. It pitched him headfirst into the building. He broke his neck and then the bike hit the wall and caught on fire.
I've been thinking about this a lot since it happened. I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility. I think that people should be allowed to make their decisions for themselves about risk or whatever, but maybe we as a group need to sometimes tell people what the *** to do. A lot of people rode at out spot with no lids going a million miles an hour, people pulled **** right next to onlookers; and this was a place people were bringing their kids (which in my opinion is ucking retarded anyways). I just think this could have been prevented if someone would have stepped in and laid some ground rules down. It sucks to be the *** that tells people what the deal is, but most of these people were coming out to this spot to watch us ride. If one of us had said "this is cool, this isn't" they probably would have listened to us. This is probably the same in the spots were you ride. It's just something that this community (if you'd call it that) needs to address.
I don't know what all the repercussions from this accident are going to be, but I know we can't ride in that lot anymore, and I'm really not sure about riding anywhere in this county unless it's a completely legitimate private spot. The cops are pissed and I don't think they'll let us ride like that for a long time. More importantly this guy had a family and people that cared about him and now he's gone. It's sad and it doesn't have to go down like that. Speak up in the spot.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:33 AM

kRazZieKaWI is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rules in the Lot? Consequences suck...

damn that sucks, maybe u should learn from this and in any event when ur riding maybe u should remind people about that tragic occurence... that could put a dent on ur weekend...... now you have to let people know the deal.....
Old 06-04-2005, 11:39 AM

006LODBKNY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Fitz, That Sux About Dude Biting The Big One.. R.i.p... I Live In New York City, Spots Are A Rareity Out Here.. When Ever We Find One Either Here Or In Jersey, Their Are Always Some People Who Have No Business Doing Power Wheelies There, Doin' Em Any Ways.. I Do Think That It Is In Everyones (stunters, Friends, Spectators And Admirers) Best Interest's To Regulate This.. Help Our "community, Save Our "community".. There Is Nothing But "danger" (real Danger) Included In Power Wheelieng The Heck Out Of A "stunt Spot".. I Think If It Aint Slow, They Gotta Go, If It Aint Controlled, Put It On Hold.. Good Luck On Continuing To Stunt Freely.. Peace And Chain Grease.. 12
Old 06-04-2005, 12:09 PM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a borderline between the danger in stunting a lot and 900mph power wheelies in a cinfined space. I hope you guys find a way to set some ground rules for those people who don't have the common sense to think about the sheer physics of doing a power wheelie 3 feet off of the ground at 90 mph when a chain link fence or brick wall is 5-600 feet away, brakes can only do so much!!! Good luck to you guys, an RIP
Old 06-04-2005, 04:32 PM

Lotus is an unknown quantity at this point

sucks to hear.

rip

I think people need to understand that they are riding at thier own risk.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:45 PM
STOP THE BUCKING!!!!!!!!!

FSPalex will become famous soon enough

people do stupid **** when a crowd is around, i wouldnt have let him ride personally, no offense to him i mean for christs sake R.I.P. man, but that kind of "behavior" definately sets the sport back as far as being accepted by the masses, who's gonna tell their kid that its okay to stunt after he watches some dude break his neck? they were all probably under the impression that everyone riding out there was responsible and professional....again no offense to the guy but still.....
Old 06-04-2005, 11:08 PM

Not that it makes much difference, but I just found out the guy isn't dead. He was dead when he left, but the paramedics revived him and he's on a ventilator in the hospital now. He can't breathe on his own and I hear he's got like a 10% chance to live. The guy was pushing 40, it wasn't some crazy kid. You'd think older guys would be a little more responsible, some crazy ish if ya ask me.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Red
I'm baaaaack!!

Red is a name known to allRed is a name known to allRed is a name known to allRed is a name known to allRed is a name known to allRed is a name known to all

The guy was pushing 40, it wasn't some crazy kid.
Then he definately should have known better. He was probably trying to show that not only the young guys can do this. Guess he was wrong. Hope he lives. That's a big price to pay for showing off.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:42 PM

Kaotic is an unknown quantity at this point

rules are a must.. the spot i found i made rules, and there is a fence so i lock it up and lock people out haha, but those who are in there are rules, no reckless BS, and burnouts in the spot, go to the road for that :D. this way the owner ever came out he cant get super pissed we killed his new pavment. but whatever it takes to keep the spot going smoothe. we've had this spot for a month now and no complaints
Old 06-05-2005, 12:03 AM

Paw Paw is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no problem putting people that are just getting started in their place. If your endangering me or friends of mine or spectators....then we've got a problem. It's very unfortunate that this happened. It just reaffirms to me that I do the right thing by stating the obvious to someone that needs to hear the truth.

-Paw Paw
Old 06-05-2005, 12:21 AM

forcefedfreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a rough situation man. I had a similar experiene earlier this year. Fortunately no one was too seriously injured. but a stranger with no lid (who had been drinking) crashed and ****ed himself all up. You may feel like a **** telling people what's up, but in the end it could save someones life.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:34 AM

rara03600f4i is an unknown quantity at this point

Where did this happen at? Just wonderin where its at in case someone tries to go to that spot now and cops are always checking it out.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:14 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

Our Lot, Our Rules.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:39 AM

DUMPSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

i think telling him what he was doing wrong would have been a good thing, but as far as making up rules thats bs because you dont own the spot who are you to make rules. let me say where i go its kind of nice and i dont tell anybody where its at, hardly anybody goes there but if they do it just takes common sense to know whats going down around you and i know that people out there just shouldnt be riding a bike.

anyways i think that your on the right track when you offer advice and if its endangering you or the stuped people that bring their kids to watch thats when you do what you got to do
Old 06-05-2005, 12:24 PM

It's in Macon, GA
Old 06-05-2005, 01:53 PM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Back when i was learning how to wheelie back in '02, I would have never thought to go try them in a parking lot. Regardless of how big it is, you still have obstacles...sidewalks, trees, buildings, parked cars, light poles etc. Power wheelies are meant for the highways. Obviously this guy was trying to show off and it bit him in the ***. It sucks that it happened but it was his own fault.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:29 PM
STOP THE BUCKING!!!!!!!!!

FSPalex will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fitzonthemark
It's in Macon, GA
hey fitz you ever ride out by Savannah airport? thats where our spots at....
Old 06-06-2005, 05:29 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a very questionable situation. On a one side who are you to make rules on public spot, but on the other hand you are somehow as an "elder rider" responsible for newbies who come out and toy with their bikes. I would warn them about their actions and try to explain consequences to them. If they wouldn't listen I would just draw my *** of the lot and have clean hands and woudn't feel responsible for further actions or accidents...
Old 06-06-2005, 10:16 AM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, so everyone has a point, but rules are rules for a reason!!
my boy just got started and when a cop rolled in the lot to watch everyone wheelie, it was only his 2nd time down there, he decided to try a hyperspin. There is a big difference between rocking a 5mph wheelie and scraping your bar and doing a hyperspin in circles at some crazy speed, while smoking the place out and leaving burnout marks. So I signaled to him not to do it, he got pissed and stood on his bike to act tough at me, and stepped on the rearset and broke the master cylinder free from the footpeg...his riding day was done!!

My point is this, he was about to purposely get ignorant in front of a cop to try and show off....if he gets hurt the spot could get shut down foir everyone, if he doesn't get hurt, the cop could be pissed about the speed, smoke, and tire marks and the lot gets shut down for everyone for awhile if not for good, instead....he got called out for acting ignorant in front of the cops and it costs him some, time, money, and frustration....everyone else got to keep riding and noone needed to beat anymore sense into him.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:13 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Last year we booted kids from our spot a couple times. Most times, they'd come back later, either lookin to fight, or to leave rubber all over the lot and get us booted too. Its a lose/lose situation.

Quick Reply: Rules in the Lot? Consequences suck...