For real! R1 as stunt bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 10:37 PM

Swedie is an unknown quantity at this point
For real! R1 as stunt bike?

Sup everyone

I'm debating whether to change to the 929 or not. I don't want the Gixxer thank you. I'm a Gixxer hater... n/k (okay, I'm joking, but I won't buy one).

Anyhow, I own a '02 R1 that I've played with a lot... Become pretty good handling it after totalling it twice if an insurance company would decide its future after each crash.

Now, the problem the R1 has is its balance point. Which is this bike . anywhere above or below that and you're gonna have to adjust the wheelie you're in. I'm exhaddirating, but it's almost true.

When it comes to endos, I find the R1 the least welcoming one. It needs help and it needs to be treated with girlish care once in an endo not to make it go sideways / back down.

What treatments do you know that can be applied on the R1 that will help it become a better bike for stunting. I know this stuff I list here in general should help a stunter out.

* Shorter wheelbase (true?)
* Low mass
* High handlebars (like on 929)
* Angle of the forks? (fork endos...)
* Small bike better than big (r1 is sorta big, stretched out...?)

I'm myself not totally sure of what I've pointed out, but I did some thinking and the main problem I see is those above.
I don't know about you, but I ride a bit of mountain bike too doing "trix"... doing circle wheelies on a small mountain bike is WAY easier than on a bigger Mtb. I notice that recently after purchasing a mountain bike (reason disclosed, has to do with 2 tickets).

I'm trying to have a serious discussion for getting the R1 into a better bike.

What's your recommendation for gearing etc etc.. I know darious after asking and that I spotted his HUGE pizza plate for rear sprocket that he had mad gearing, 12 up in the back and 2 down in the front. Now that makes for slow wheelies... I'd not want to do that much to my bike though since i do use it for commuting too. I'm not saying the bike will be worthless after you gear, that's false I know that for sure, but I hate a too high revving bike, it makes the bike consume more gas don't it.. anyhow..

Anyone got some input on this subject?

I love the R1, but I also do want to become a better stunter, and if the R1 does not allow me to progress in my stunting skills, then it's off to another bike. Such as the 929. That's the only bike i've looked at so far. It looks pretty neat after a paintjob.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:58 AM

I suppose the reason I don't see any answers as of yet is that very few here actually owns the R1 and stunts it... :twelve

ohwell!
Old 03-10-2003, 01:36 AM

bestofcali is an unknown quantity at this point
sup swedie ya dont like the R1 no more or what?? just messin man!!
Old 03-10-2003, 02:03 AM

sup dude... just that you know.. I like the R1, if I can keep it after some $$$ put down to it.. I'm staying with it.

Just need someone elses input on the R1 in regards to what to do with it to make it a better stunt bike.

I did forget to mention Suspension setup.. any advice? Got mine at stiffest in the back and hard comp on front susp.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:11 AM

naww man i wasnt serious i was just messin i dont care what kinda bike u have, even if u own the r1 site
Old 03-10-2003, 02:16 AM

oh ya btw whats your bike look like now u fix it
Old 03-10-2003, 02:33 AM

that's the thing, if I decide to keep it, I won't fix it up..

I otherwise had the intent to sell it. Might keep it in streetfighter look... not sure yet..

I rode the R1 today and it felt so damn powerful.. don't wanna loose all that HP going to the 929.. :p
Old 03-10-2003, 04:46 AM
I Love To Post!

WETPAVEMENT is a decent person
Wots up Johnny? Dude I keep hitting your NCL link and the back button just to watch how the screens change! lol Cool ****.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:10 PM

Sup dude!

I don't know what's up with that site.. i didn't make it.. explains it

now I see thought that whole site is down! GREAT!

Hey wet dude.. no input on the R1 as a stunt bike?

It's awful quiet in here. lol
Old 01-27-2004, 08:17 AM

riskyrider1k is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: For real! R1 as stunt bike?

The R1 is a bad *** bike, but it wasnt really made to take the strain, and pressure put on a stunt bike. Those bikes are made to be light and fast, Ive noticed that the sub-frames, tend to snap on those after a few harcore 12s, and the frames seem to take a beating, and show afterwards.
In my opinion the 95-98 900rr, or the newer models of 929 make for good stuntbikes.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:27 AM
HERE COMES THE POLICE.

COOKIE MONSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

I havent stunted an r1 but i don't hear alot of people doing it...

On the other hand...

There are some people that do stunt the R1 and are mad nice at it. Its all on how YOU ride it. There's a guy, his name is Nick David, I know he stunts a (* R1 and he is NICE.. So it's all on how you ride..

just my
Old 01-27-2004, 09:15 AM

Diesel1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a lot of different bikes......1 being an 02 R1
I think its waaaaayyyy to twitchy for stunting. I wouldn't even want to imagine how twitchy it would be geared. I think it was an excellent bike for stoppies personally. We did a lot of 2 up stoppies on it and I loved it for that.
Just my 2 cent
Old 01-27-2004, 03:21 PM

R6nutcase is an unknown quantity at this point

im not sure how u say its a big bike. it is the smallest litre bike out there. its very light.

i have the R6 which is a very similar bike. and i love it. but ive ridden my friends R1. and that would definately be my next choice of bike. i find it very easy to control. especially with me bein a short guy, i love how small the bike is.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:25 PM

Matti is an unknown quantity at this point

R1 is a pretty sweet bike, Hopefully I`ll be as pleased whit my new 954
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Matti.jpg
Views:	1269
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	61782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Provkörning.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	61783  
Old 01-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Regular StuntLifer

wheelieman2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have personally done 1-6 gear wheelies on an R1, it was a 2000 though, I know it had a steering dampner made by blue flame and a full exhaust with jet kit. if you have a problem with the balance point try dropping the triple clamps down on the forks 3/4 of an inch, doesnt sound like much but you can tell a huge diff in wheelies and in handling in high speed corners. It will effect your endos the most consider ing your down forse and forward gravitational down force on the front end. What gearing changes have you made if any?????
Old 01-27-2004, 04:56 PM

R1-up is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 03 R1 and love it.

Gearing it down F-ing rocks. I went -1 in the front and +4 in the back and I still ride mine all over. Tha R1 is very twitchy in first gear especially if you gear it. It just takes a steady throttle hand to keep it remotely smooth.

The rake on the R1 is designed for kneedragging therefore makes it dangerous for stoppies. I am not interested in learning rolling stoppies on my R1 just rock the reg. stoppies.

I plan to pick up a gsxr or cbr to use as my crunchy piece for stuntin and keep my R1 mint.

Just my ,
"D"
Old 01-27-2004, 07:31 PM

ssas02bigp is an unknown quantity at this point

i have an 02 r1 and i love it. i think the bikes are all preference. btw, there is nothing that can't be done on r1's. i can do just about everything including rollin' sick stoppies with no damper. i would love to have the damper but im working on other things. i went up 13 and down 1. it was by far the best move i have done to the bike. believe it or not it has helped the bike- it's alot smoother and not as twitchy. i would say keep it and tear it up. peace :YEAH
Old 01-27-2004, 07:37 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

KC Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

R1s can be stunted very well just takes some gettin used to
Old 02-03-2004, 08:31 AM

oh, didn't notice until now that ya'll posted.

I rocked 12s pretty good with the 02 R1.. no problem at all.. but it has .. like you say, a weak subframe and also a week main frame. The engine is also not very tolerant to 12s. I blew my engine after just one month of.. kind of intense 12ing .. it was all the bike was doing sometimes.. 12s..

I've now purchased a YZF 750 93... it's heavy as hell but lets me do stuff fairly easy. it is just sooo heavy, compared to my R1 (still have it, fixed up and is now a a full on race bike).

I really miss the FI. I've tried to escape the boggyness of carburators by going up +19 in the rear.. but it can still die on me during circles.

If I could pick bike to stunt with, it'd be a 929/954 or the older 900rr's. Their built in a pretty solid way and can take abuse better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yzf750circle.jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	62837   Click image for larger version

Name:	12in.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	62838  

Quick Reply: For real! R1 as stunt bike?