Anyone goove or sipe their tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 11:51 PM
1 footer wheelies!

Sillyneck is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone goove or sipe their tires?

not sure if their is any reason to do it but it seems like my rear tire doesn't ever hookup well for wheelies. The lowest pressure I've run is 20psi but normally 28-30 and even after I've burned out and f-cked around for a while it still burns out for a ways then grabs. I'm getting used to wheelies that way but nobody else seems to have this prob.

this is for all slow speed 1st gears stuff. hooks right up at speed, no probs there.

I was thinking some light siping straight across the tread might help alot. Maybe some #2 grooves across the tread as well. like 8 grooves around the entire thing, nothing drastic

who tried/does it? the good, the bad?
Old 03-02-2003, 11:52 PM
1 footer wheelies!

oh yea...it's still a stock 207 on a 2k2 gix 750.

sould I just get a better tire? and which one?
Old 03-03-2003, 12:31 AM

shady is an unknown quantity at this point
tires

see if you can get dunlop208's race , they hook up well,but you may have a hard time getting them........ I woul not try sipping a bike tire unless you go side to side , but that more for heat dissapation , you want to hold heat in the tire>>>>>>
Old 03-03-2003, 12:53 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Just work on your technique. I have the same bike and same tires and used to have the same problem.. Once I got my technique down I never had a problem again. Try kind of pulling up the front of the bike as you clutch it up. Should hook up everytime for ya
Old 03-03-2003, 01:00 AM
Group Moderator

JackassRR is an unknown quantity at this point
If for "slow speed 1st gears stuff" u mean 12's, try gearing if u already havent. It will come up quicker and with less throttle and clutch. Im now 1dn 8up and love it.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:14 AM
1 footer wheelies!

JacksonRR - I'm not doing 12's yet. just working on control in 1st compared to just floating at speed in 2nd.
I plan on going down one in the front and up 2 in the rear I think. I still do a lot of freeway so I can't lose too much. how much top end did you lose w/ that gearing. top speed? and 80 mph cruising rpm?

Nags- Yea my technique probably blows right now. I'm coming off riding dirtbikes my whole life and the weight transfer is sooo much easier than a street bike for me. I just need to get away from the highway patrol to practice in one place for a while. Seems like those f-ckers are everywhere.

Shady- how are those tires for burnouts? any harder to keep it from hooking up? Are they DOT app?

Thanks guys. I probably just need to ride alot more. I was just meeting all the stunters around here then tuesday my buddy patrick's twin brother died They were 2 of the better riders around here. I know the cops are going to be on us even worse now that and as a result of biker boys there's a lot of extra noobs trying to ditch cops etc.

time to move to mexico :D
Old 03-03-2003, 01:21 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Originally posted by Sillyneck
Nags- Yea my technique probably blows right now. I'm coming off riding dirtbikes my whole life and the weight transfer is sooo much easier than a street bike for me. I just need to get away from the highway patrol to practice in one place for a while. Seems like those f-ckers are everywhere.
Well... dirtbikes should really help your technique... You just need to lift the front as you clutch it..... Same thing I do on a dirtbike.. especially an underpowered dirtbike like a 100 or 150
Old 03-03-2003, 01:27 AM

shady is an unknown quantity at this point
they are soft as hell , they burn down pretty quick.... THEY ARE NOT DOT APPROVED...........
Old 03-03-2003, 01:48 AM
Group Moderator

JackassRR is an unknown quantity at this point
Been to cold to hit 80 or more but by cruising in 6th im guessing 20-25 mph top end was lost (spedo is off 20mph in 6th). U will notice a big diff with the gearing u want to go to and will still be good for your freeway rides.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:34 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough
nags is right about your technique...it's 20 degrees here and i'm having no trouble on an older 207 with about 24psi.

instead of simply dumping the clutch to get the bike up you should try having the clutch almost at the grab point and as you let it out quickly (not dumping it, but in control) you should be pulling up and giving gas....

i really need to make the noise to show you, it is hard to explain otherwise....

teach
Old 03-03-2003, 12:49 PM

hayez is an unknown quantity at this point
im 2 down in front and 3 up in the rear,i just power wheelie never use clutch and my tires have never slipped,had rennsport now put a m1 on last week,no problems,also my gearing blows on the freeway,i really dont ride like a idiot anymore,but went to west palm beach saturday and maybe i topped out at 120 or so if that riding the limiter the whole way,like it geared better,keeps me from riding like a moron when i go out i guess,id rather learn some stunts then run into the back of a semi at 160+,but i do miss them 160-170 mph trips to south beach on the busa

Last edited by hayez; 03-03-2003 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:49 PM
1 footer wheelies!

Originally posted by TEACH C6
nags is right about your technique...it's 20 degrees here and i'm having no trouble on an older 207 with about 24psi.

instead of simply dumping the clutch to get the bike up you should try having the clutch almost at the grab point and as you let it out quickly (not dumping it, but in control) you should be pulling up and giving gas....

i really need to make the noise to show you, it is hard to explain otherwise....

teach
I do have good clutch technique but my weight transfer and bouncing on the bike is likely what needs work. I need to ride w/ more good riders and see how they are doing stuff.

If I'm just rolling at 6k rpms I can ride the wheelie out just fine..it won't spin...but the problem is right off the line at idle w/ clutch. So that is body related. Do you guys think if I soften up the forks I can get better compession w/ the front brake hence better rebound to pop the front up from a stop or slow roll?
Old 03-03-2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Sillyneck
Do you guys think if I soften up the forks I can get better compession w/ the front brake hence better rebound to pop the front up from a stop or slow roll?
Don't mess with the bike.. just work on the original clutch up and body positioning. e
Old 03-03-2003, 08:04 PM
1 footer wheelies!

Originally posted by nags
Don't mess with the bike.. just work on the original clutch up and body positioning. e
So what's the ideal position and time of transition. Doesn't seem like it helps to pull up on the bars because of how low they are and the angle of my body when standing.

And I am trying all the new info I am getting in the parking lot between posts

so keep it coming boys I got some neighbors to impress! they make fun of me cause I could wheelie around the complex on my dirt bike but my still suck at slow speed on the street bike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	halftimeshow7.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	13379  
Old 03-03-2003, 08:09 PM

Tick_9se7en3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I can get a 900RR with BALD D207s come up no problem in 37 degrees. You must be doing something wrong.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:59 PM
1 footer wheelies!

Originally posted by Tick_9se7en3
I can get a 900RR with BALD D207s come up no problem in 37 degrees. You must be doing something wrong.
maybe I should just wear my big hat when I ride the street bike it always seemed to help on the d/b. or was it the beer?
Old 03-04-2003, 11:36 AM

Tick_9se7en3 is an unknown quantity at this point
That hat should help, with the forward momentum and the wind resistance it should give you a little lift.