Knee injuries and recovery.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Knee injuries and recovery.

I tore my ACL last october and since then everything has been all downhill. I havent looked into surgery yet other than just researching all the options and recovery times on the net. It looks like those UFC fighter guys have this **** happen all the time. From what they say it takes a couple weeks to walk after the surgery, 6 months minimum of PT and about a year to full recovery. Every time I go out and ride I reinjure myself. I cant stop though. Every monday I come into walk gritting my teeth and concentrating on every step I take. lol. However, it seems to hurt less and less each time it pops. I have an addiction. How many of you out there have had a bad knee injury and have come back and made a full recovery. My knee is toast right now so it wont be long before I opt for the operation. I just dont think I can do that much downtime even though I will have to. Anyways, share your stories if you got em.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:40 PM

jbad is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Knee injuries and recovery.

yo, LB my acl is torn.

I didnt want surgery and I had no meniscus damage so it was only a bad bad bone bruise that hurt me for nearly a full yr

I was told that after ACL surgery, your **** will hurt for a maximum of 18 months, hurts worse than it does now I hear

I gave myself a yr and said if its still hurting me I will reconsider surgery....

feeling good after mine tore last october too

eat a loratab or two daily and suk it up
but if after riding your **** is worse, get the surgery.. its best in long run

hate to hear your troubles... sux *** I got passed up in my one yr being out (I look like a squid compared to others that havent ridden as long as I)

PM me if you wanna know what I went thru or anything else
Old 03-19-2005, 01:46 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

INSAIN is an unknown quantity at this point

I tore my Pcl And Acl a few years back......Dont want the surgery......so i opted fo a double hinged donjoy brace. I wear it for stunting and any other physical activities!!!

Works for me....Good luck
Old 03-19-2005, 02:06 PM

sprocketz is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know what to call it cuz i never went to the doctor but a few months ago i twisted my knee real bad took about a month before i could walk normal and it started to get better with time but still felt the pain if i banged it or somthing.. and then thurs night i looped my daughters bmx and reinjured it i felt like crying it hurt so bad now im kicking myself
Old 03-19-2005, 02:10 PM

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

i snapped my knee backwards 12 years ago when i raced moto cross, damn thing still gives me alot of greif. hurts almost all the time, when i ride for a while it gets worse. surgery may help, but you will always have some pain.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:19 PM

1096 WHAT! is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a torn manescus or how ever you spell that ****. Problem with mine doc found out it wasn't shaped right **** was all stock so he had to fix the tear and take out about 70 percent of it.I was 12. No more running more than 2 miles at a time and doc said severe arthritis in my early 20's. I'm now 25 and this thing just ain't right. Probably going to have to go get it cleaned out some time soon. I wear knee braces every time I ride for the fear of going down and going under the knife. Get some protection over your knees it's just as inportant as your head. No more ridey ridey if you can't walky walky!
Old 03-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Lb3

Originally Posted by INSAIN
I tore my Pcl And Acl a few years back......Dont want the surgery......so i opted fo a double hinged donjoy brace. I wear it for stunting and any other physical activities!!!

Works for me....Good luck
See.. thats seriously what I am thinkin. I have been looking at the donjoy armor extreme and the legend brace. The armor extreme is supposed to be the same as the old legend but with a little better support. How does it work? Having a jacked up knee hurts ofcourse but pain doesnt bother me that bad or keep me down. Its just the fact that when I reinjure it it doesnt work very good for a few days to a couple of weeks depending on how bad I land on it. With the brace, does it keep your knee from doing the ol *pop POP sideways action* when you accidentally plant it?
Old 03-19-2005, 02:27 PM

Catman will become famous soon enough

man I'm going through the same thing right now in may I tore my acl off the bone pcl and maniscus damage. second injury to the acl took 1 year after first tear to feel strong again. One bad off on the mx track and the acl tore off the bone. Doc said he knew he'd be seein me back soon. I had reatachment surjury june 3 still not all there yet. gets sore after riding.and just gives out some times. stationary bike is helping alot.
It would prob. be doing better if I went ALL my P.T.

I am 38 so I prob. don't heal as fast. It sucks hang in there
Old 03-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Lb3

catmandoo: did they just reattach it or do a graft and if so what kind did you opt for?

INSAIN: does that brace help if you have meniscus damage?
Old 03-19-2005, 03:13 PM

jbad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lb3
catmandoo: did they just reattach it or do a graft and if so what kind did you opt for?

INSAIN: does that brace help if you have meniscus damage?

the brace prevents the knee from hyperxtending again and going out sideways
its like the pro footbal braces that they have to make a mold of your leg outta fiberglass then cut it off your leg

I opted for the fancy 1500 brace cause my INS paid for it in full just in case I ever felt I need it

it has adjustment tabs where you can only make it bend at certain angle degrees if you want
Old 03-19-2005, 03:18 PM

Catman will become famous soon enough

The reatachment surg. involved taking a piece of bone off the chin attaching it to acl lig. then attach to bone had to not be moved for 8 weeks to regrow to bone. About 60 percent healed up now. Lost alot of the quad muscle during that time I think thats where I am now.
GOOD LUCK

I did this right out the hospital door
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2005, 04:17 PM

MR. RYAN SMITH is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring Your Knee Up To The Shop And Ill Fix You Right Up.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Lb3

I already tried a rubber mallet. That **** doesnt help.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:05 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

yea man
i ****ed my meniscus up 2 years ago.. had the surgery and was 100% a year later.. until my bike landed on it last month.. a few months later it healed again.

thats why i dont do anything except idle ****. theres more to life than doing death sports, i wanna be able to hikiing with the girlfriend etc, having health problems aint cool.

the second time the bike ****ed me up was clutching it up at idle. its surprising how easily you can get ****ed up doing idle **** like O's etc.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:24 PM

SVPHIL is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't tear my acl but I broke my tybia last Dec. my knee is still fuked Im in a donjoy everyday and it helps alot
Old 03-19-2005, 07:50 PM
STOP THE BUCKING!!!!!!!!!

FSPalex will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Re: Knee injuries and recovery.

I popped my knee 3 times on Airborne jumps from a C-130, this was after a broken tibia 5 years ago and a stress fracture in the upper tibia from sprinting. Then, just to spice things up a little, I crashed 2 months ago coming off the freeway too fast and landed on, yeah, that knee. (and my head, god bless fullfaces...) Anyways, I know i'll never be the same, i'm being med-dropped from the army now, and I can't run anymore, but the one piece of advice I ahve for you is this- http://www.allegromedical.com/orthop...e_band.P191733 this sucker is so simple, but its like magic, it takes all the pressure off my knee. If your stunting, where a lightwieght kneepad, like the ones they use in those rollerball tourny's good luck brotha
Old 03-19-2005, 08:15 PM

axlnut is an unknown quantity at this point

i have injured my knee so many times now, tore the acl while in the usmc, got crushed by an idiotic power wheelie king last year, broke tibula on that leg, tore my acl off the bone pcl and maniscus damage, all of the above, just injured it again in a dirtbike on the street crash, i limp when i alk, and my knee pops out constantly, but i have an evs brace that still allows me to ride mx, even wrecking on that extended leg before with nothing more than a little swelling

um, synopsis, get a good brace, its a wonderful investment
Old 03-19-2005, 09:08 PM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

knee..pffffft! Try having a serious bad lower back and a hand/forearm go numb and burn every night.

Lb walks with a limp and i walk with a hump. haha GOD HELP US!
Old 03-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Lb3

Thanks for all the useful replies. I think I am going to go with the brace for a while and see how it works out. If those things can keep my knee from going sideways it should be all good.

samburgesa, lift with the legs.. not the back!

Quick Reply: Knee injuries and recovery.