Stunting In Mx Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 06:49 AM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve
Stunting In Mx Helmets

This week i have been debating on buying an MX helmet to stunt in because the only reason i dislike wearing my helmet is the poor feild of view my street helmet offers...so everyone told me to buy an MX...well ive heard a couple stories and after tonight reading this thread https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117306 about the front of OOO's MX shattering and his face impacting the ground ive thought twice about getting one....i know theres MX riders/ stunters on here so what kind of impacts can these helmets withstand? highway speeds? street? lot?. i mostly want an MX helmet for lot stunting..so i assume no more than 40MPH..of course i know that no helmet will totally protect me in every crash but im wondering how MX vs. street helmets compare for lot stunting. If it will protect me enough for lot crashes it'll be worth the money buying a new helmet for the better feild of view....
Old 03-13-2005, 10:58 AM

20dub is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stunting In Mx Helmets

bad idea.....
Old 03-13-2005, 11:47 AM

1096 WHAT! is an unknown quantity at this point

Just buy a high quality helmet and don't worry about it. Think about supermotard, those guys are doing 70 to even 110mph on a few of those tracks and they trust them on the pavement!
Old 03-13-2005, 12:39 PM

Dragnlikeapimp is an unknown quantity at this point

i used to race motocross and ive seen some serious crashes. i personally destroyed a helmet when i cased a double. i landed face first and hit so hard my strap bruised my neck, and the chin piece came right up to my mouth i scraped my face and goggles on the ground. the helmen had stress fractures all across the chin piece. its designed to do that and did its job. given it was on dirt its a little different but i came down face first from about 20 feet in the air. i trust a motorcross helmet as much as a street helmet. there both aproved on the same systems (Snell and DOT). the issue is people believe that just because its got that aproval its a good helmet and to pay more such a for an arai or shoei is sensless. you pay for what you get those 100 doillar helmets just meet the standards where those 500 dollar ones meet and EXCEED the standards. Anyways not knowing all the details of the story we dont know what kind of helmet it was or what condition the helmet was in. snell and dot say to replace a helmet after 1 hit from 3 feet or more above the ground.. that means every time you see a helmet fall off of someones handlebars its susposed to be replaced.
sorry for the long babble
lata
bj
Old 03-13-2005, 12:58 PM

HurricaneF2 is an unknown quantity at this point

id say in a parking lot its ok, but definately wouldnt wear one on the street. if your wearin an hjc or some other ****, toss it and get an arai/shoei/suomi. i used to think it was rediculous to spend that much till i got a shoei, theres no comparison between that and my other helmets.

a helmet is no place to be cheap, thats the only thing between your brain and the pavement, get the best you can afford

also those helmets arent designed for an impact on pavement, theyre made for dirt. i dont care what anybody says, theyre called mx helmets because that what theyre for, not high speed impacts on pavement
Old 03-13-2005, 08:02 PM

NovaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HurricaneF2
also those helmets arent designed for an impact on pavement, theyre made for dirt. i dont care what anybody says, theyre called mx helmets because that what theyre for, not high speed impacts on pavement
exactly what i was goin to say, i dont understand how people say they limit your field of view.. ive never been bothered by how much i can/cant see in my CL-14 (HJC) sure there is some sight loss but not enough to sacrafice bustin my nose/jaw/skull if the MX helmet fails.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by NovaMan
exactly what i was goin to say, i dont understand how people say they limit your field of view.. ive never been bothered by how much i can/cant see in my CL-14 (HJC) sure there is some sight loss but not enough to sacrafice bustin my nose/jaw/skull if the MX helmet fails.
i dont like how street helmets are so close to your face,and my KBC does limit my feild of view,and i just bought an MX helmet that im only going to use for lot stunting.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:05 PM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

i've got 2 lids, one black street helmet, and one duct tape special mx lid for the lot.....I ride the mx on the street from time to time, but not if I plan to ride on the street for much other than getting to the lot or a quick ride...does feel more comfortable, but not sure if I wanna go down with it doing more than 30-40mph
Old 03-13-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by eazenutz33
i've got 2 lids, one black street helmet, and one duct tape special mx lid for the lot.....I ride the mx on the street from time to time, but not if I plan to ride on the street for much other than getting to the lot or a quick ride...does feel more comfortable, but not sure if I wanna go down with it doing more than 30-40mph
yeah thats prolly what im going to do with mine.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:17 PM

AzN~BoI_585 is an unknown quantity at this point

I getting an Arai XD I just like the feel better and stuff.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

It depend on how good the MX helmet is. Same thing as with street helmets, there is cheap-os and good ones.

JakeT.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:28 AM
JB

JB is an unknown quantity at this point

i was goin 2 get a mx helmet for lot stuff aswell but then after hearing bout 000 i have changed my mind. there is always that chance u may fall face 1st and hope i never do but if it did happen i would rather have my shoei on than a mx.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:12 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

I have one, I only use it for lots, and dirt of course, but not on the street. The chin piece on my mx helmet is all scratched up form saving my jaw once.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:33 AM

Sportbike Mafia is an unknown quantity at this point

if its snell and dot it dont matter same helmet
Old 03-14-2005, 11:04 AM

RUSH. is an unknown quantity at this point

I broke my nose and my eye socket a week ago wearing an mx helmet
Old 03-15-2005, 12:21 AM

keeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Dirt bike helmets are gay
Old 03-15-2005, 12:42 AM

so are pow pow power wheelies.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:21 PM

gsxrtigger is an unknown quantity at this point

Every crash is different. Every helmet will react differently to a crash. One of the guys on my team wears a MX helmet. He has crashed alot in that thing.(might explain the drooling) j/k. Wear what you wanna wear.

Now there is one thing you need to think about.....like others have said....there is a reason why there are MX helmets and street helmets. Go to your local dealer and ask them what they think. I would say the difference is that you cant put goggles on right with a street helmet.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:27 PM

butterfly is an unknown quantity at this point

This is OOO's wife. I just thought I would post some pics of Corey and his helmet. It has been exagerated about his helmet as the chin piece did not break off. It did a pretty good job I guess considering I have been told the bike was laying across his face when they got to him.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Corey accident.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	128153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corey accident 2.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	128154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corey accident 4.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	128155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corey accident 5.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	128156  
Old 03-15-2005, 12:29 PM

gsxrtigger is an unknown quantity at this point

How fast was he going and what stunt was he doing?

Quick Reply: Stunting In Mx Helmets