My thoughts "929 as stunt bike"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 01:38 PM

Swedie is an unknown quantity at this point
My thoughts "929 as stunt bike"?

Hey Everyone

I'm currently an owner of a '02 R1. I've had R1s for 2 years now and well, they're shitty stuntbikes. I rode a friends Gixxer 600 '98 and was able to do all sorts of tricks without problems because of the balance point being MUCH more welcoming than the R1's.

Anyhow, I don't want a 600 as a stunt bike. Nor do I want to own any kind of Gixxer. Reason is personal j/k well, I just don't want such a bike.

So far I've been looking at the 929 and since it's the very next tool after the 900rr which is a very good stunt bike and cheap for parts etc I keep thinking that the 929 got to be as good or close, or possibly better, but more expensive. I don't care too much that it's more expensive, I like having a nicer looking bike (even though the bike will be made into a stuntbike with pretty much no fairings .. or if fairings.. they're to be scratched up possibly).

So my question goes out to all 929 owners and friends of 929 owners.

How is the 929 as a stunt bike? Is the balance point comfortable like on the Gixxer? What about endo capabilities?

So far I haven't tried a 929 for stunting. Just rode it up the street and it felt very flickable/fast turning and will probably be plenty prone to give me tankslappers (steering damper will be invested in).

Thanks for any reply in regards to the 929.

Johnny
Old 02-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Brian_C6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Balance point is what you make of it. A balance point on a bike is acheived through speed, weight distribution, throttle control, and brake (if you use it). 929's are like any other Fuel Injected bike... tough on the throttle response.

As far as endo's.... 929's have great front brakes. I used to own a 929 and I felt as though I had more control. It's lightweight chassis made the bike feel nimble & almost weightless in comparison to a 900RR.

If I had my choice of a newer bike, the 929 would be mine.

Lata,
Bri
Old 02-13-2003, 02:19 PM

thanks for the response.

I know FI can be a bit touchy on stock bikes. Usually with some tuning the throttle becomes real stable.

I don't know if you got my question right.

When I tried the Gixxer 600, the balance point was much wider = the angle from where the balance point began to where the balance point end is bigger. Hence giving you the chance to bust out things with less worry of going above or below the balance point if you happen to slightly give the bike more or less throttle.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Brian_C6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Swedie
thanks for the response.

I know FI can be a bit touchy on stock bikes. Usually with some tuning the throttle becomes real stable.

I don't know if you got my question right.

When I tried the Gixxer 600, the balance point was much wider = the angle from where the balance point began to where the balance point end is bigger. Hence giving you the chance to bust out things with less worry of going above or below the balance point if you happen to slightly give the bike more or less throttle.
Yeah, I understood your question. Like I said though, balance points differenciate (sp?). if you're going 30mph and balancing the bike at say 10 o'clock then chances are you're going to hit 80mph real fast. If you balance the bike at 11:00 then you're not going to hit 80mph as fast... or if at all. It's all relative. Balance is an equation. Equal amount of something opposed by another equal amount. Weight vs Power vs Speed vs Wind. Balance point is what you make of it. Some bikes have a lower mounted motor which makes for more throttle / power when gravity takes over... is that what you mean?

Am I crazy here? Think of physics.

Lata,
Bri
Old 02-13-2003, 04:34 PM

Coolio.

I'd love to see a few videos of riders that stunt with the 929. I've seen a couple of them, the bike seem to do fine. Haven't seen a real long endo with the 929 though.

How's the bike for highchairs when it comes to getting the bike up in 2nd with the legs over the front? On my '02 R1 it's simple, comes right up. But knowing the 929 has oh, probably 15 less horsepowers than my R1 it can be a different experience.

Any chance of having to upgrade the clutch to a stronger one if there's a weak point in the stock 929 clutch.

How about stock brakes... any good? I most likely will upgrade to steelbraided or kevlar and possibly some race brakepads. but it's good to know before hand if the stock brakes will do to start with.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:37 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough
no need for braided lines...rick_pbr rides a 929 and so does patrick_pob, as well as others...they both kick it!

its a honda, you cant go wrong

teach
Old 02-13-2003, 05:10 PM

TEACH C6, I know the Honda is a reliable bike. I had a '93 CBR900RR 2 years ago. For the past two years I've had R1's though. First a '98 and now the '02. Now it's time to change.

Anyone here knows where to look for a crashed 929. Salvaged doesn't matter. It has to have a straight frame and semi (straightable) straight forks. Need headlights on it and tail.
Looking at the price range of 3000-4000 (so we're talking rough shape).

Another general question, what kind of gearing should you gor on the .. .close to 1000cc bikes? Friends here do insane stuff like 2 down in front and 3+ up in back. But that's on 600's. The need that to become freakish wheelie bikes.

Appreciate any answer.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:00 PM

kraker is an unknown quantity at this point
I actually just sold my R1 and bought a 929. I don't have any riding time on the rr yet but I know from riding a friends, the rr is more stable and the point of balance seems to be lower and larger front to back. Compared to the R1, the rr is by far a superior stuntbike. It also has a bolt on subframe making it easier to fix.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough
www.argocycles.com
603-645-0010

ask for kevin, guz, or damien. tell them teach sent you....

later,

teach
Old 02-13-2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by TEACH C6
www.argocycles.com
603-645-0010

ask for kevin, guz, or damien. tell them teach sent you....

later,

teach
Thank you. But I believe I can't bring a Salvaged 49 stater into California due to Emision reason and safety risks and stuff.

Anyone know of a local (SoCal) Salvage yard that sell non fixed crashed bikes?
Old 02-13-2003, 06:41 PM

Kraker, THAT's the kind of feedback I was waiting for.

The R1 truly is a much harder bike to stunt on. I might be lucky because of that. I mean, I've learned the hard way, so if I cross over to a much "easier" bike to stunt with it's gonna get me up the ladder in the trick book.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:42 PM

yambike is an unknown quantity at this point
I switched from an R1 to the 929 last spring. The fuel,injection took a while to get used to. It's very twitchy and that makes wheelies harder. In that respect I liked the R1, or any carbureted bike better than the 929. Carbs have way better throttle response and the R1 has the best. Another thing I noticed was that the 929 is more cramped than the R1 when doing stand up wheelies. But then I started doing them with my right foot on the passenger peg and that fixed that. I did get used to the fuel injection so thats not a problem any more either. The 929 is a lot more stable than the R1 when doing highway wheelies. The R1 weaves a lot when doing long wheelies. A friend of mine has the '02 R1 and that one does is just as bad as my '99 was. The 929 has better front brakes than the R1 and stoppies are just too easy! When I did stoppies on my R1 the headset bearings used to get loose but I've had no problems with the 929. Donuts were easier on the R1 cause it had so much low end grunt you could just spin the tire really slow. But i'm tired of changing tires anyway.
I got my 929 at Argo. Crunchy, but with 900 miles on it. Plenty of beatings left on it!! I bought mine in January. I think they deal a little more and the inventory is a lot better when there's snow on the ground.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:48 PM

jaxon23 is an unknown quantity at this point
swedie...did you move over from sweden? this is the guy who wheelied a 93 900RR in 6th gear..proved alot of people wrong..including me..lol as for the R1 never rode one but i love my 929 as i am no real stunter...a typical stunter setup is 1 down and 3 up in the rear...i rock 1 down and sometimes 3 up..just depends. as fo stoppies..mine are garbage..lol but i can roll 100 or so feet (or used to before winter got here) here is a small clip of me doing one
http://www.cmmotorsports.org/~wheeli...sonstoppie.mpg
Old 02-13-2003, 08:03 PM
RickNasty.com

Rick929 PBR is an unknown quantity at this point
thanx teach....and speak of kickin it check out our NEW PROMO

brakes are gangster, but i recommend steel lines for the back for better feel

1 down 2 up gearing is perfect in every aspect

winscreen/upper is mad weak....needs reinforcement

hard crashes on left side can break the block

shes mint, u wont regret it

holla

Rick929
Old 02-13-2003, 10:17 PM

Miltown is an unknown quantity at this point
swedie, i just switched over to the 929, but still have the r1, looking foward to comparing the bikes this summer, if you want to look at some video of the 929 in action you should check out darious's site

http://www.darius240z.com/

ps, there sure is a lot of drama the r1 forum lately
Old 02-13-2003, 10:37 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
929 is a sweet stunt bike... I'd love one.. the torque is awesome
Old 02-14-2003, 12:35 AM
Regular StuntLifer

JPFREESTYLE is an unknown quantity at this point
929 is a good stunt bike. The front brakes on it are some of the best I've felt like Bri said. I've had mine about a year and have dropped it more times than i can count. Invest in a crash cage if you get one because it will save you from buying covers. Check it out at CRASH CAGES Out of all the times I have dropped it it all has been cosmetic damage to plastics and cases.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:26 AM

jaxon23,yes I did. I now live in SoCal. Been going pretty shitty lately with a lot of B.S from people at R1-Forum.com. I'm still planning on keep running that site. Doing my best not to let it die. I've made a couple of mistakes on my way (bad ones), but generally it's not too bad. I've made a lot of good friends here that help me out when I need help.

thanks Rick929 PBR. I'll if I need to..., cut the windscreen off maybe 2-3 inches. That way it won't brake off when I do a little trick (such as a highchair).

I'll also get some protection for the engine cover on the left hand side to make sure I get no "unexpected" repair bills incase I loose it in a wheelie or burnout or whatever.

Looks like there's a couple of people here with 929's that have previously own the R1. You all seem to be thinking in the same line as me, the R1 just doesn't cut it when it comes down to hardcore (yay, badass us/me) stunting.

I know Darious does a good job on the R1. Love to see him pull that **** off at the stunt competition in Irvindale next weekend. I'll be there, but with no intent of trying to win. Just want to get my name out there (for crashing, or for being an OK stunter).

I wish NOT to sell the R1 I have,as it's the most beautiful and powerful bike out there, atleast I think so. But if I want to become a better stunter I believe i need the proper tools for it.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:30 AM

-Baker- is an unknown quantity at this point
wsup swedie....

Darius sold both R1's but kept his tricked out champion edition with carbon fiber eveything and olins everything...lol

He's stuntN the 929 now and bustN all the latest tricks. Circle is next....lol

Did you move to the states? Down southern CA? Are you speaking about the 23rd in SoCal? That event is going to be fun. Darius, Jason Britton, Dale and Alex are teaming up for that event. This is a lethal team for that event. I'm trying to head up there on Sunday for the event then shoot back to the bay that night.

Give me a call anytime at 510-847-1791 cell.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:38 AM

Hey wazzup there Baker

Coolio. I'll write down your Phone # and might just give you a call when it starts getting close to STUNT day.. need help navigating around in the area possibly.Never been there.Have you?

Yeah, I heard about the Darius, Jason Britton, Dale and Alex team up thing. I'm not shooting for winning, that's for sure HAHA. Not with that team stepping up the game.

Yeppers, i'm pretty close to San Diego, like 40 minutes. 1,5 hours from downtown L.A. 1.5h from Irvindale raceway. Pretty much in between all the good stuff.

Quick Reply: My thoughts "929 as stunt bike"?