sv650 owners!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 10:36 PM

james99099 is an unknown quantity at this point
sv650 owners!!!

lets rally the 650 owners. I own a 99" sv. wonderfull, awsome bike. The problem is I'm on my second motor with only 9900 mi on the clock. This was due to circumstances??? I don't want to get rid of this bike. I can't afford another new one or a new motor. So lets all of us get together and engineer some oil pick mod. This would be one awsome bike if it wasn't for the oil issue (Trik chic can tell you this!) The torque makes this an ideal bike. My email is james99099@hotmail.com Questions, comments,Ideas welcome.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:45 PM

KingWheelie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: sv650 owners!!!

I wish I knew, I've been trying to find a mechanic around here who would have half an idea on a pick-up mod, but all they do is look at me funny and grunt.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:47 AM

palladin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

man you sure do post a lot for being a 15 that does not have a bike

as for the sv i dont think that there is a whole lot that you can do cause on a twin overfilling helps a little but doesnt solve the problem of getting oil to the front cylinder. that is the real prob with v twins is that no matter how much oil you over fill it will just sit mostly in the back cylinder and starve the front one

but i ahvent torn one down so i am not sure if the pickup can be ghetto rigged to make it any better

goodluck
Old 11-29-2004, 05:58 AM

QuickSilverBusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by palladin18

as for the sv i dont think that there is a whole lot that you can do cause on a twin overfilling helps a little but doesnt solve the problem of getting oil to the front cylinder. that is the real prob with v twins is that no matter how much oil you over fill it will just sit mostly in the back cylinder and starve the front one

but i ahvent torn one down so i am not sure if the pickup can be ghetto rigged to make it any better

goodluck
Ha, that's funny as hell...I was waitin' for a post like that....
Old 11-29-2004, 12:45 PM

Mogwai will become famous soon enough

Sorry, there is no way to fix it.

In the newer engines there is a stop plate over the oil reservoir, but even that isn't enough. We have tried running a copper pipe to the rear of the engine, low enough that it would still get oil on two wheels but even that didn't work either. We have now made a longer pipe and only plan on running the bike on the rear wheel, Believe me, if we find a solution we'll take it to the manufacture and end all of your problems. Until then, if you feel confident enough to split the case yourself it should cost 600 or less to rebuild.

Has anyone else tried anything?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	svengine2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	111168  
Old 11-29-2004, 01:21 PM

CHAO5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 2003 SV650S... I loved that bike.. sold it 2 days ago.. <sniff>.... I finally caved and bought a gix 750... it just makes everything so much easier, holds up better to damage and you can easily find a FI bar/cage for it..... anyway.. this was my baby...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36274CHAO5_SV_004_0001.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	111175   Click image for larger version

Name:	36274SV_ON_TANK.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	111176   Click image for larger version

Name:	36274CHAO5_SV_007_0001.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	111177   Click image for larger version

Name:	36274CHAO5_SV_009_0001.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	111178  
Old 11-29-2004, 02:57 PM

Nick_R6_OMC is an unknown quantity at this point

my cousin has a 01 or 02 SV..(cant remember).....and he rides wheelies for miles at a time....never had a problem....
Old 11-30-2004, 07:44 AM

Mogwai will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nick_R6_OMC
my cousin has a 01 or 02 SV..(cant remember).....and he rides wheelies for miles at a time....never had a problem....
I think, and I may be wrong....but I doubt it, that it's more a matter of how long you remain on the rear wheel vs. how far you travel on the rear wheel.

I'm sure if you were to ask your cousin if the oil light ever came on while doing a long wheelie that they would say yes, it has.

Never the less, a daily riding bike that your occasionally doing a mile long highway wheelie with will not get as badly abused as a bike that is souly used for stunting. Have your cousin spend a three hour practice session on one and I'm sure they'll have a different story.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:25 AM

Nick_R6_OMC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mogwai
I think, and I may be wrong....but I doubt it, that it's more a matter of how long you remain on the rear wheel vs. how far you travel on the rear wheel.

I'm sure if you were to ask your cousin if the oil light ever came on while doing a long wheelie that they would say yes, it has.

Never the less, a daily riding bike that your occasionally doing a mile long highway wheelie with will not get as badly abused as a bike that is souly used for stunting. Have your cousin spend a three hour practice session on one and I'm sure they'll have a different story.

quite possibly, but i have been riding with him for about 9 years now....and his mechanical knowledge would stop him from damaging his motor due to oil starvation. and no its not an occaisonal wheelie with us, its every chance we get. if it has 2 wheels and a motor, its on one wheel. as for the 3 hours in a lot. Yes i am sure that causes more abuse to the engine. but that is a choice you make and nobody else.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:47 AM
I Love To Post!

Schwartz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by palladin18

goodluck
This is a inaccurate statement. It's not the front cyclinder or the fact it's a twin. What goes in these motors is the conecting rod bearings which has everything to do with a oil delivery problem and nothing to do with the configuration of the V-Twin. The oil pick-up is in a bad lacation that makes it hard to have oil when the engine is vertical or rotated 90 degrees. 1 qt high didn't help the problem.
Dizzo is working on a 2nd oil pick-up I'm sure we'll post if it cures the problem. It's too bad to there a great bike.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:52 AM
I Love To Post!

Originally Posted by Mogwai

When I rode the bike the light didn't come on until you were high enough to scrape or do a coasty. Then the light came on. So it's could also be a matter of how high the wheelie is.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:49 PM

Yeah, I got 23,000 miles on mine and started learning wheelies on mine at about, oh, 5,000 miles, still haven't had a problem, then again, I can olny ride em out for about 5 or 6 minutes......
Old 11-30-2004, 10:09 PM
I Love To Post!

Hello! You don't have a magic SV. Are you scraping tail or rolling coasties? It's the height. Keep doing it and your crank will be smoked.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:18 PM

Scraped the back. ********....wrecked doing it last time.....you don't even have a SV, so who are you???
Old 11-30-2004, 10:40 PM
I Love To Post!

Hummm guess I just don't know then. Sounds like you have all the experence with the wreck and all. Whats with the ******** comment??? F You!!
Old 11-30-2004, 10:48 PM

Just coming in here saying **** like I ain't got skills, and you don't expect to be pissing people off saying **** like that. What? You think I was just gonna bitch up to some **** like that?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:48 PM

By the way, I've been riding damn near scraping till the other night, first time scraping, with NO scrape bar.

Quick Reply: sv650 owners!!!