Master Links Falling Off

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 01:22 AM

kids is an unknown quantity at this point
Master Links Falling Off

Do you ever have your master link fall off? This is twice now this year I've had one come apart. Luckily both happened at under 5mph. What are my options?

Chris
Old 10-11-2002, 01:53 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
I lost a clip once but the link didnt fall apart, I was lucky. Now i use a permanent link. I put it on myself without the special tool. Its not hard to do, but hard to explain how to do. Now I cant take links out when it finally gets stretched too much.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:00 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Papa Kev is an unknown quantity at this point
No master links!! Stay away from using these, can be very dangerous! Around $20 will get you a chain breaking tool at any local dealership. Even my BMX bikes have no master links!
Old 10-11-2002, 03:18 PM

Eric SSB is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Master link

Use a #20 AWG wire and run up between the links two to three times, then give a few twist on the out side, and crimp it down nice and tight. I've used this technique for years racing bikes and have never had a link come off. Good luck. Hey, the other day I sent you and email in regards to living in Boise, did you receive it?
Old 10-11-2002, 03:25 PM

hooligan is an unknown quantity at this point
clip master links suck!!! unless you safety wire them like the racers do, they can and most likely will fall off. usually the chain will hold together, untill it rattles loose though. i recommend to use a rivet style masterlink. you can have a shop do it for you, or you can buy the tool and do it yourself. fairly easy job with the right tools and it wont come loose on you!!

just dont over do it and crimp it tooo tight as it will bind and kink.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:56 PM

Riveted!

Okay, got a rivet style master link, and we went out and rescued the bike which we had left locked to a tree for the night. We just mushroomed the ends with a hammer.

Mike, I did get your email. Haven't done the sun valley ride, but I'm sure it would be fun. Sorry, I'd write more but day one with a Dvorak keyboard really sucks!!

About the chain breaker, Kev, does that work with any chain? I think all my links have mushroomed pins, rather than just press fit.

Chris
Old 10-12-2002, 11:48 AM

Eric SSB is an unknown quantity at this point
Name

Hey dude, it's not Mike, the name is Eric. It's a little to late in the year to make that ride, but try to make some time next year. It is worth it.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:58 PM

Now that's bad, messing up a name that's right in front of me! Sorry.

You're right, it is cold up there now.

Chris
Old 10-12-2002, 01:31 PM

Crizzymynizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
It may be a stupid question but are you putting the clip in the right direcrtion? So the closed end is toward the direction of rotation!
Old 10-12-2002, 04:16 PM

icehot113 is an unknown quantity at this point
a motion pro chain breaking/riveting kit is like $90, invest in one, but like it was said, a clip style master link should not fall off... did u put it on urself, facing the wrong direction by any chance? the direction is important.
-icehot113
Old 10-12-2002, 05:29 PM

Whether they <i>should</i> come off seems Irrelevant since they DO come off. I always put the clip so that the open end faces rearward as the link approaches the front sprocket.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:25 AM

Crizzymynizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
try this

I have when I can't find the clip used garbage bag twist ties with the plastic burnt off and figure 8 them around where the clip would go. On any of my drag bikes or street bike's I would put gasket silcone on them with or without a clip again when the clip was not to be found and have never lost one in over 8 years. Make sure to kinda degrease the outside to make it stick !
PEACE :D :D :D :D :D