slow shit before power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 07:34 PM

silver6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question slow **** before power?

aside from the fact it is normally easier to learn wheelies by powerin it up, then move on to clutchin it. Does anyone think it would be eaiser to learn slow **** first??
3 reasons why i want to start out rockin the slow ****....

1. sicker
2. safer
3. sicker

any suggestions?.?.?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:15 PM

02redr1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: slow **** before power?

learn your rear brake and you can do slow ****, but you will wreck for sure, almost, with slow ****...
Old 11-15-2004, 08:21 PM

NovaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

It may be possible to start with slow ****, but the slowest i can do a wheelie is like 25 MPH and even then speed pics up to about 35-40 MPH with about 5 months of learning to do wheelies. But i dont have **** for rear break control yet. So if you learn how to clutch it up REAL high then hit the Break enough to stop it but keep it in BP then you should be ok. But a normal wheelie is MUCH easier then slow stuff. Atleast for me at this time.

Good luck, get a bar and a cage. Cause your bound to wreck, thats kinda a main reason why i havnt gotten hard into attempting slow stuff. i like my minty tail section
Old 11-15-2004, 10:23 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

StuntRagz Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by silver6
aside from the fact it is normally easier to learn wheelies by powerin it up, then move on to clutchin it. Does anyone think it would be eaiser to learn slow **** first??
3 reasons why i want to start out rockin the slow ****....

1. sicker
2. safer
3. sicker

any suggestions?.?.?
learn like the rest of us old school riders did and learn fast wheelies first.

as for sicker, can't say that i agree...you ever seen a sick *** fender grab speed locked at 55? Def sick
Old 11-15-2004, 10:38 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

what are you talking about, "the fact that it is easier to learn wheelies by powerin' it up?" That's bull. To power it up you have to be right in the torque band to begin with, so already you're starting around what, 30 or so? And then once you get on the throttle you have a few k rpm's before you get it to BP, and even then it's much more difficult to get it there and keep it there, a lot more unpredictable.
So if you're powering it up you're going to be going pretty fast before you even hit BP and THEN start to slow it down.

Learn to clutch it up going around 20 or so, on the slow side and then be able to keep it at balance point using both engine braking and brake control, brake control being huge when you get into slow stuff.

I'm pretty sure slow stuff always comes after you get the faster stuff down, at the very least you have to know how to balance a wheelie and you're always moving pretty good when you learn to do that.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:54 AM

keeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah yes the O.G. fender grab that's gangsta!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:37 AM

iceberg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by StuntRagz Chris
learn like the rest of us old school riders did and learn fast wheelies first.

as for sicker, can't say that i agree...you ever seen a sick *** fender grab speed locked at 55? Def sick
:YEAH right!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Slow stuff is really only entertaining to people who know the sport and have respect for the skill it takes. Go to a show... have one guy doin circle wheelies, and one guy doin circle burnouts and see who gets more love from the crowd. Nobody cares about technical stuff. They don't appreciate it. The most you'll get is "wow.. thats pretty cool". Sad, but true. But you get a guy doin a 90 mph spreader or even an elevator... and you get a greater reaction. It's all about the "danger" factor when it comes to being impressive. While you may say "I'm doin it for me... not other people" and you wish to learn slow stuff, then more power to you. But in my humble opinion, I don't think I could handle just doin slow stuff... I need to be able to rock out the faster wheelies for fun and for the ladies that watch. Just my .02 of course. But I say learn it fast... then slow it down. Thrill yourself with speed before you make yourself bored and frustrated with the slow stuff.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:58 PM

yeah thats what i figured is that everyone prety much starts with the faster wheelies. cause slow stuff definatly takes alot of skill/practice.

I think it'll be to lock in a wheelie at like 25 MPH and just cruise along next to a vehicle (preferably women hehe) as of now im constantly accelerating in my wheelies now.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:25 PM

ill shane is an unknown quantity at this point

I learned to do slow stuff on a quad, then transferred all I learned to my bike. I'm pretty decent at it, and still have never done a high speed wheelie.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:14 PM

BubbaR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: slow **** before power?

The first wheelie that i ever did was clutchin it up, but it was up and back down. I started practicing after that by powering up. It's worked for me and I have have em down, but whellies are the easiest thing to do on these things in my opinion. The slowest I've popped one up at without clutchin it was 18 mph.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:22 PM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

You should learn the fast stuff first. Develop your throttle control first.

Slow stuff doesn't really consist of that much throttle control. You have your idle turned up and you chop the throttle to get it to BP while using your rear brake to slow it down and keep it from looping.

No throttle hand tricks are the sh*t, but combos, fender grabs, stranglers....you can't beat the feeling of the O.G. tricks.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:45 AM
ags

ags is an unknown quantity at this point

what if your bike is too weak to power a wheelie....like a gs500.....im learnin my xr400 for now.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:40 AM

dont power wheelie to begin with

Theres really no need to when you can just clutch them up.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:27 AM

alright thats strait, ill learn the faster stuff first than break it down to slow, but still i want to clutch it up, whats the perfect speed to start clutchin it up at???
Old 11-17-2004, 11:42 AM

well everyone has there own opinion on what gear you should learn wheelies in.

I learned wheelies in 1st gear, Theres lots of engine break, but also its pretty twitchy till you learn to control the throttle. If you wanna start in first gear start at about 20 MPH or so, even slower if you wish but 20 MPH is where i pull up 1st usually.

2nd gear is goin to be exteremly smooth but also alittle more difficult to bring up, you may have to bounce the bike to get it to come up and the Key is to stay in the throttle till your at BP and roll off. COVER THE BREAK. 2nd gear i start at about 35 MPH when i clutch it up.

Downside from learning in second gear is that your goin to be goin pretty fast, and if you mess up... you may get hurt more then you would if your learning in 1st gear. This is why i learned in 1st so that incase somethin did happen im not goin 50 MPH.

Good luck, take your time, wear your gear. COVER THE BREAK
Old 11-17-2004, 11:42 AM

verticalfrank is a decent person

start with the slow stuff.....you'll get a lot further that way.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:55 PM

starting fast or slow, either way, but still clutchin it.............. stand up or sit down first??????? or does it matter? i would rather hit stand ups, but sit downs feels like it would be easier, true/false???
Old 11-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Clutchitup.com

2 Vicious Freestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO getta quad to learn slow ****

I was learnin speed stuff then, then it took me loopin a 2nd gear at about 50 b4 i got the point that i had no rear brake control

SO i got a quad and have been practicin like hell, Now my rear brake control and throttle/clutch control are very very good.

Jus my experience though.

Its alot easier to perfect ur clutching, throttle and rear brake control on a quad.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:14 PM
florida! finally

Nate-VMC is an unknown quantity at this point

1999 og fender grab = PIMP

Quick Reply: slow shit before power?