10R exhaust and cat mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 12:05 PM

punisherzx12r is an unknown quantity at this point
10R exhaust and cat mod

Akropovich full system is on back order, for the time being i am runin this mod

first i just removed the cat.

take the pipe off, the cat is about 5 inches long. get a 1/4 inch diameter, long drill bit, run a bunch of holes threw the cat right on the side of the big piece of pipe that holds it in. get the biggest bit you can find and run a bunch of holes in the cat. this will break most of it into small eneough pieces to get it out, then use a long screw driver or chissle to get the rest out.

don't just try an punch the cat out, the piece will be to big to remove

this gave the bike a noticable improvement in HP, and cooler runing temps.

i took this a little further

i had a AK carbon can that was all effed up, so i removed the preforated pipe and all the packing.

inside the stock 10R muffler is a bunch of titanium baffles and pipes, the first one is easy, just remove the one on the end of the muffler with a cutting torch, but make sure you leave eneough material to hold the mouting tabs in place for the muffler cap.

the other two baffler are also Ti. you will need a long *** chisle, put a few cuts in them, then put the chicle inbetween the baffle and the housing of the mufler. there are only four spot welds holding them, and there pretty easy to bust.
also a side note, the baffles each have a small pipe in them, they are held on with 2 small welds, break the pipe loose from the baffle first, this will make it easier to remoe the pieces. a torch would be easier, but all i have is the 90 degree angled torch, and it wont work.

after you get the muffler clean, you can leave it the way it is if your just stuntin it, makes it loud as effin hell, and it looks stock in case you get pulled over. i ran the bike for a few days like this. it loses a whole bunch of midrange and mabey a little top end power with just a open muffler. exhuast gasses going in all different directions inside of a open space will hurt performance. if you really want open pipe, install a solid non preforated pipe inside the stock muffler.

here is where you need the preforated pipe. my AK pipe fit nice and snug into the larger inner pipe of the cat housing. now the ak inner pipe is too long, and has to be cut. but this works great, as you will not need to weld or rivit the inner pipe in place. cut the inner pipe so that is still sticks into the stock muffler cap, the cap is at an angle, the inner pipe is straight, so they will natuarly bind up, cut the inner pipe a little long, so when you tighten the bolts on the cap it squeezes the inner pipe in place.

once you have it all fit together, use a long extension or stick to push the fiber packing down in the muffler. then install the cap.

so basiclly i just make a akropovich slip on, with a stock apearing muffler.
anyway, it actually works, bike is a little louder then the 12R i first had the pipe internals on, but idles nice and quiet. two days ago, i did a roll on with another brand new 10R, rider on the other 10 weighs the same 250 that i do, and my bike pulled on him BAAAAAAAAAD, let out the gas, looked down, indicated 185. this thing is fast as hell, i think it gets to speed faster then the 12R, even though the 12 has a higher terminal speed.

i would guess the cat and muffler mod is worth mabey 5 hp,

another imortant note, titanium is not a normal metal, when you cut it with a torch it glows as bright as an arch weld, you must use a welding mask, if not you will def go blind. and be carefull, once ti starts to melt, it melts really fast, and after it does melt, the molten pieces are worthless, the heat changes the ti into this yellow lookin crap that is very very brittle. if you aint never cut with a torch, wait for the backorder to be over...
Old 06-05-2004, 12:07 PM

punisherzx12r is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 10R exhaust and cat mod

by the way, this is may or may not, but prolly will not be legal in your or any state, and is intended for race use only........

opps, forgot this was stuntlife, don't need squids emailin me

FOR STUNT OR RACE USE ONLY