Ok so something is seriously wrong with my bike...Plz Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 04:02 AM

atomic is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok so something is seriously wrong with my bike...Plz Help!!

Well, since I don't really know where to start, I'll just list the times I've rode that had some kinda significant thing happen...Oh yes my bike is a 1991 CBR600F2. The real trouble begins at Saturday pt.3

Friday Night - To/From a Friends House. Roughly 15 km's on the highway there, another 15 back. The trip to her house was just fine, but when I went to come home around midnight to 12:30, I noticed my first problem - my throttle wasn't responding very good. When I put the clutch in to shift gears, the rpm would drop to super low - like below 1000. I just figured the problem was that I turned the choke off too soon (it was only 2 degrees celsius, after all, and I'd been riding for maybe 3 minutes), so I turned it back on and kept going. By that time I was on the highway which was basically just a long, straight line (so boring *sigh*). Oh yeah, I also flipped the fuel switch around just to see if it made any differance, but it didn't. The thought that I was about to run out of fuel did cross my mind, but all in all, I rested easy - now I really want a fuel injection, thats all. Oh yes, I did forget to turn the choke off altogether when I got home, so it was on between about 1AM to around 7PM today (Saturday).

Saturday Night - To town (roughly 15 kms of highway as well). Well, turns out I was about to run out of fuel. Everything was working just fine and dandy while I rode down the highway at around 120 km/h, and then my bike started to die...And then it did. Damn!! I ran it empty! I blame the guy who sold me the bike - he told me arrow pointing up = fuel on, no reserve. Well I guess it's backwards. So anyways, I just pushed it forward abotu 100 feet and parked it by a little driveway thing. At this point I caught a ride back home, grabbed my car, put $8 of gas into a jerry can, filled my bike and continued into town, with the bike.

Saturday Night pt.2 - Entering Town. This was about 10km's after having run out of fuel. I was just heading into town at about 70km/h, and then I noticed a loud (well, not that loud actually...) *Pop!*. so I was like "What the..." but nothing really felt different so I just kept going. Next stop was at the gas station to top off my tank.

Saturday Night pt.3 - Leaving Town, heading to another friends place (again about 15 km's of highway riding). Well, right from the start I knew something was up. While I was leaving town, my second gear wasn't working right. Everytime I shifted into it, my rpm's would just drop, and I think my lights flickered - it was still light tho so it's hard to say. It happened very slightly in 1st gear also, but once I reached third it was just fine. This was making me a little shaky, but nothing too much.

Saturday Night pt.4 - Leaving friends house, heading home. Yet again, about 15 km's of highway riding. Okay. this is when I knew beyond a doubt that something was seriously going on. When I jumped on my bike and turned the key out of the lock and to the "On" position, my lights all came on - but only for about half a second. They were there and then they were gone. So I was like "What the..." and tried flipping the key again, this time no lights at all. "Greeattt" I thought. "killed my battery in the middle of the night with all my friends already gone or sleeping." so I started to back up and get ready to push start. However, while backing up, all of a sudden my lights flickered on...but just for a second. So I backed up some more, and then hey! they were back on, and this time staying on! Yes! So I grabbed the clutch and hit the start button - bam, lights off and I'm back to where I started. So I rocked the bike around a bit and the lighs came back on, hit the start button, lights go bye-bye. *sigh* by now I'm just wishing I could be at home sleeping or something fun like that. So since the start button's not working, maybe I'll just continue with my push-start. So I drop it into first, grab the clutch, push forward a bit...and drop the clutch (nowhere near fast enough tho..) So it just kinda slid a bit and then stopped. However, now the lights were back on, so that was okay. I figured "What the heck" and tried the start button - and it worked! Hazzah! The bike finally started! So I crawled back on and took off into the night. Unfortunately, my problems were just beginning. For some reason, the engine was running really fast, like around 5-6000 I'm guessing, but the tach just said 1000ish. Oh sigh, I thought. More trouble. I turned the choke off and it helped a little, but not much really. Anyways, I just rode it out of town (a whole 3 corners later!!) and hit the highway for home. But now something was seriously wrong...My tach was constantly hovering around 1000rpm, despite a screaming engine. And I couldn't make it past second gear! My throttle was doing nothing - the rpm just kept on dropping way down, with the lights going way down with them. So I'd grab the clutch and wait for the throttle to come back up, and no sooner than it had returned to normal it would drop again...And this constant dropping/jumping was giving me a gut-ache *ooh it still hurts*. So basically my riding all the way home was about 30-40 km/h, constantly twisting the throttle (not too much however), riding the clutch, gaining a little speed, maybe making it into 3rd gear, only to have to downshift to first again as the rpm dropped to super-low. Then repeat this again...All in all it took probly 10-20 seconds for one of these "cycles". Luckily, the moon was bright enough tonite that I could see enought with or without my lights, tho, so that was good. And by flickering, I don't mean my lights turning on and off, I mean they would go normal brightness-super dim-normal brightness get my drift? Anyways, the last thing that happened was I pulled over, hoping to relieve some of the pain building up inside my gut, and as soon as I grabbed the clutch, the engine just died. Bam, it was gone - just like that. I may have shifted into neutral, but I'm not quite sure, it all happened so fast. And when I tried to turn the bike back on, no matter what I did, the lights wouldn't turn on, and the start button wouldn't work. Dayyam!! I ended walking for about an hour the rest of the way (I am a slow walker, btw). Oh yes, another important thing you may like to know is that on this particular ride, I don't remember when, but at some point (I think just after leaving town) I heard another *pop!*...Their may have been a third even, but hey, I'm tired and cold and have a horrible gut-ache. My memory isn't working too good. Of course, the fact that it's also 2AM doesnt really help either.

What I think may be the problem - I really don't know. I've never really been to interested in how these things work, and I am really new to bikes altogether, but I was thinking that maybe the *Pop!* sounds were spark plugs falling out? However, why would that cause my lights not to work? Unless alternators are slower than I thought...I don't know, what do you think?

Wow, this turned out reeaaaally long...Please help me tho!!
Old 05-02-2004, 08:13 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

roadrash929 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ok so something is seriously wrong with my bike...Plz Help!!

Damn you need to provide breaks for snacks on a thread that long...

Time to get a new bike.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Registered Stunter

Metzger is an unknown quantity at this point

Man that was long.
All I know is you're not supposed to ride with the choke on. If you've got some extra money, take it to the dealer.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough

Well from what you're saying is going on, it could be several things.......The spark plugs aren't it(Although it wouldn't hurt to change them). What it sounds like to me is a loose battery connection, since everything goes dead and back on when you shake it just right. I'd check all your terminals and tighten them. Here's a list of things I always do when I first get a vehicle or bike(used). Change all fluids, oil, coolent, and fuel(if it's been sitting for over 3-4 months, gas doesn't take that long to turn bad, especially over winter). Then I usually replace the spark plugs, check the battery, air in the tires, condition of the chain(usually go ahead and lube it also). Since this is obviously an electrical, if the battery isn't the source, trace your wiring and check for any points where it's rubbing against the frame or engine. Any exposed wires can be fixed using some electrical tape. Might want to zip-tie them so they don't rub anymore. Other than that, I'd have to see it for myself. Good luck
Old 05-02-2004, 01:24 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

ya, erik is right...that pop is probably your battery terminal arching. Definately a loose wire somewhere if it flickers. tighten your battery cables down, follow the ground up to the starter area and tighten it down too. Check all your fuses, go up front and push all your connections together to make sure they are tight and not wiggling loose.

then do all that junk that erik said, fluids and all that. and as reference, down is on, sideways is off, and upwards is reserve on f2's, f3's, and 900rr's.

go try all that, if it's still working funny come back and let us know.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:33 PM

Squidmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Ok so something is seriously wrong with my bike...Plz Help!!

Your battery connections may be loose, pull the seat and check. (as said before)

Your avatar says you live 'up north', so im guessing canada. So when you store it over a long winter, water will condense in the tank. Water is more dense than gasoline, so it will settle to the bottom then get sucked in when the tank runs completely dry.

Basically what im saying is that: All the ****/water/rust that has collected in the tank over the past 13years was probly sucked into the carbs when you ran it empty. This will plug up the jets, stick the floats open, just kinda mess up the fuel system. So clean, or pay somone to disassemble & clean your carbs. This was what happened to the guy who bought my last bike when he ran it out of gas.... he cleaned the carbs and it ran great.

Also, leaving the choke on will foul sparkplugs. (it makes it run super-rich) Change the plugs, and dont forget to turn it off anymore.

sorry that was kinda long...
Old 05-02-2004, 11:14 PM

yeah I asked my dad about it this morning and he guessed the battery posts are loose, or the water in the gas (yeah I'm in Canada) but I still haven't had the chance to check it out (was busy all day). But thanks for your help! As much as I want a new bike there's no way I can afford one just yet
Old 05-03-2004, 01:40 AM
Likes to poop

Mr. Negative is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I get cliff notes?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Registered Stunter

Metzger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr. Negative
Can I get cliff notes?
laugh out loud
Old 05-03-2004, 10:12 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by atomic
As much as I want a new bike there's no way I can afford one just yet
nah, you don't need a new bike. That one will run just fine with a little TLC.

just let us know what you figure out with it.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:15 PM

well I took it apart today, and thank God it was just loose battery posts
Old 05-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by atomic
well I took it apart today, and thank God it was just loose battery posts
Your welcome All that frustration over that. Now, since you got it apart(probably not now). You should do all those other things if they haven't been done. A bike that's well maintained pays for itself in the long run(i.e. not buying a new engine/parts cuz you didn't do anything at all)