what book

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 10:21 PM

wangsta6 is a decent person
what book

what manul should i get for my 01 r6 that would tell me how to adjust the valves and to what settings
Old 12-02-2003, 11:13 PM

thunder ace is an unknown quantity at this point
get a shop manual they are the best and give ALL the specs. you need. do you really want to get into doing this? you are going to remove the cams and re-install them with the motor properlly timed.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by thunder ace
get a shop manual they are the best and give ALL the specs. you need. do you really want to get into doing this? you are going to remove the cams and re-install them with the motor properlly timed.
It's not as hard as mechanics make it seem....just pulled everything you mentioned last week......although I didn't change any of the shims, I had to fix them because of an actual mechanic turning my bike into a 400lb paper weight. Long story, but it can be done if you have decent mechanical skills and proper tools(Torque wrench down to 10N-m is a biggy)
Old 12-03-2003, 11:48 AM

sdudgeonr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
i did mine but you know you dont have to do it till 26K mile right??
-sean
Old 12-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just get a shop manual, a good set of metric feeler gauges and a good torque wrench. The manual will list a range of measurement between the buckets and cam lobes and will show the position the cam lobes need to be in when checking the clearance with the feeler gauges. If any are out of spec take notes (cylinder #, IN or EX, #, and finally the clearance) on em and pull the cams. Only take the buckets off of the ones that are out of spec and label them so you know exactly where to put it back later. Labeling is very important. Label EVERYTHING you take off of the head. Pull the shim out of the bucket and add the number on the top of the shim to your notes. Look in the manual and there is a chart for the valves that you can look at that you can use to find out what new shim size you need. Cross reference the shim number with the clearance you measured and it will show ya which one to get. Do that for all the shims that were out of spec and TAKE the shims to your dealer and tell them what sizes you need. Alot of times they are cool and will just trade you shims. Then go back and put in your new shims where they go, you should have notes and labels for everything. Put the cams back in (dont worry about the cam chain yet) and torque the cam journals back down and recheck your valve clearances. If everything is in spec, follow the directions in your manual to set the timing.