My wreck that I will never forget

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 12:18 AM

Kawlreaper is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation My wreck that I will never forget

Its all fun and games till you get hit by a detour sign!

So, a friend and I are driving down Seneca Rd. And we weren't even going that fast! My friend "Kidd" is up front and in front of us is a big yellow Montgomery County DPW truck. Its one lane each direction and there is a passing zone. So, Kidd passes the truck and I am getting ready to pass. I start to accelerate and do a quick scan to the left and then straight again. When all of a sudden this thing comes from the back at the truck spiriling to the left. So, since I am about to pass the truck, I start to slow down and go a little to the right since its going to the left. Then the wind began to blow and the thing came right at me. "Oh ****!", as I get into a tuck position and POW!!! This thing turned out to be a big *** orange detour construction sign. You know, the one made out of metal! The thing then catapaults over me. "What the f*ck?!", and I pull over. I start feeling myself and I am still all here. The truck stops and says, "Are you OK?!". I said, "Yeah, did that come off your truck?!" "Naw man..Im not carrying any signs." So, in shock, I start looking at my bike. Anti freeze is POURING out the bottom. Then the truck leaves! Kid circles back and after he makes sure I am OK, He goes after the truck and gets the tag.

The sign must have hit me at about 60mph. The sign shattered my left headlight assembly, cracked my left side fairing in 2 different places, cracked my cowl induction in half and my radiator looked like someone took an axe to it. And thats just the stuff I noticed off the bat! I took digitals and hopefully, Zen will post some of them soon.

That sign could of easily taken off my head or any limb. This was NO JOKE. Now, I am trying to get a hold of Monkey County's fleet division. Oh, and the police wouldnt take a report because they said it was an ACT OF GOD. MY ***! It was an ACT OF NEGLEGENCE! Even if it wasnt his sign and he did run over it, it is still a county sign and he spit it up when he drove over it! Any help will be greatly appreciated. If any of you know me well at all, you know I aint scared of sh*t. Just like in the Triple X movie, "I live for this sh*t" as been my motto forever! But this was MESSED UP! Ya know I needed a beer after that!

Total amount of damage-$2800.00. Luckily I kept the bike up! WoW...Here are some photo's.

http://www.rowellsolutions.com/2003_...per/index.html
Old 10-02-2003, 12:27 AM

eric_24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep the sign, get the tag, act of god?? This is not an act of god, the sign didnt magiclly fall from the sky. Im a cop, they were being lazy, file a complaint, MAKE them do a police report, It is the countys responsibility to mantain those signs, even if they are in the road. They are responsible, you may have to call a lawyer.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:33 AM

They were QUICK to claim responsability. They are mailing me a check right now. AND the sign is now sittting in my living room. I told them I still have the sign (evidence). Hopefully, my bike will be fixed soon.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:24 AM

R1andy is an unknown quantity at this point
geez man, your ok witch is good. that thing could have really done some serious damage to ya, lucky your ok.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:36 AM

2k2954 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: My wreck that I will never forget

If the county wont accept the charges file with the State Troopers.

Originally posted by Kawlreaper
Its all fun and games till you get hit by a detour sign!

So, a friend and I are driving down Seneca Rd. And we weren't even going that fast! My friend "Kidd" is up front and in front of us is a big yellow Montgomery County DPW truck. Its one lane each direction and there is a passing zone. So, Kidd passes the truck and I am getting ready to pass. I start to accelerate and do a quick scan to the left and then straight again. When all of a sudden this thing comes from the back at the truck spiriling to the left. So, since I am about to pass the truck, I start to slow down and go a little to the right since its going to the left. Then the wind began to blow and the thing came right at me. "Oh ****!", as I get into a tuck position and POW!!! This thing turned out to be a big *** orange detour construction sign. You know, the one made out of metal! The thing then catapaults over me. "What the f*ck?!", and I pull over. I start feeling myself and I am still all here. The truck stops and says, "Are you OK?!". I said, "Yeah, did that come off your truck?!" "Naw man..Im not carrying any signs." So, in shock, I start looking at my bike. Anti freeze is POURING out the bottom. Then the truck leaves! Kid circles back and after he makes sure I am OK, He goes after the truck and gets the tag.

The sign must have hit me at about 60mph. The sign shattered my left headlight assembly, cracked my left side fairing in 2 different places, cracked my cowl induction in half and my radiator looked like someone took an axe to it. And thats just the stuff I noticed off the bat! I took digitals and hopefully, Zen will post some of them soon.

That sign could of easily taken off my head or any limb. This was NO JOKE. Now, I am trying to get a hold of Monkey County's fleet division. Oh, and the police wouldnt take a report because they said it was an ACT OF GOD. MY ***! It was an ACT OF NEGLEGENCE! Even if it wasnt his sign and he did run over it, it is still a county sign and he spit it up when he drove over it! Any help will be greatly appreciated. If any of you know me well at all, you know I aint scared of sh*t. Just like in the Triple X movie, "I live for this sh*t" as been my motto forever! But this was MESSED UP! Ya know I needed a beer after that!

Total amount of damage-$2800.00. Luckily I kept the bike up! WoW...Here are some photo's.

http://www.rowellsolutions.com/2003_...per/index.html
Old 10-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Ricochet105 is a decent person
I glad you still have all your appendages. That is a big fear of mine. That and those tire retreads, I don't even want to imagine what they would do to a bike. Glad you're OK, that's the most important thing.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:23 AM

lawbreaker2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to here your ok and that is messed up .And for the retread blow outs I drive a semi truck and it scares me when folks will drive along side the rear wheels like there nothing going on cuz I heard about on in the truck paper I get were a lady was driving along side a truck a a cap blew apart and whent thought the side window a killed a baby in a car seat so that **** scares me. I had a cap go off a few mouths ago took out my mud flap and hanger, side step, muffler and stack.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:26 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

savgixxergirl is an unknown quantity at this point
dude that is crazy
Old 10-02-2003, 11:59 AM
I Love To Post!

aNskY can only hope to improve
something flew off a semi and shattered the windshield on my supra a few months back. i didnt know i could report it and get money... so i didnt... and im still drivin around with a shattered windshield LOL
Old 10-02-2003, 12:38 PM

150grl is a decent person
Originally posted by Ricochet105
I glad you still have all your appendages. That is a big fear of mine. That and those tire retreads, I don't even want to imagine what they would do to a bike. Glad you're OK, that's the most important thing.
Been there done that last week. So we are on our way back from Hooters bike night and I had to ride bitch b/c my bike is getting serviced. Well we are cruising like 80 by Wilmington DE and all the sudden BAMMM. It was so effing loud I thought the front tire blew. Scared the **** outta me. Well FlatAir (who I was riding with), pulls over and ends up a retread had flown up and hit the bike
Old 10-02-2003, 12:41 PM

150grl is a decent person
Hit hit tab by accident - so anyway it blew out the headlight and windscreen and nearly put us on our asses on a major highway - it sucked. We both were a little shaken but I don't think the damage costs were too bad hopefully!! So that is what happens with RETREAD watch out!!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:12 PM

aussie style is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW! thats some scary sh*t, glad your not hurt.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:21 PM
awww **** motorcycles!

paragus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to all
thats crazy as hell
Old 10-02-2003, 02:47 PM

Poo-tee-weet is an unknown quantity at this point
Act of god?

It was an act of god that ur still breathing...
Old 10-02-2003, 03:44 PM

yeah! It was pretty crazy. I'm also amazed that I kept the bike up. Well, its sitting in the shop waiting for parts...
Old 10-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough
First off, glad you're ok and you're getting compesated Kawl. Lucky as hell...Parents farm and we had some retreads on one of our grain trucks, the thing flew off and about ripped a hole in the bottom of the truck, nasty things.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:53 PM

Turtle will become famous soon enoughTurtle will become famous soon enough
good luck w/ getting it fixed man. glad to hear you werent hurt either. im surprised the county is paying for it considering they are so f-ing cheap and hate motorcyclists. Hope you get it back soon before it gets super super cold. IM not like this 50 degree ****...Kurt
Old 10-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Schniggy02zx6r is an unknown quantity at this point
i almost got taken out by some retread too, about a month and a half ago i was cruisin along the highway and i heard a big fn boom, then i see rubber flyin across 3 lanes of traffic so i just tucked and hoped for the best, a big piece went flyin over my head i was sooo friggin lucky it was crazy. when i looked in my mirrors and i just saw cars jackin up and swervin all ova the place. i was doin about 90 and im sure if that had hit me it would have sent me flyin off the back of the bike...

good to hear that everythin worked out with gettin paid and that you werent hurt too
Old 10-03-2003, 01:11 AM

gixmovistar02 is an unknown quantity at this point
scary stuff
Old 10-03-2003, 12:23 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Sha Nay Nay is an unknown quantity at this point
Retreads should be illegal! they are dangerous to everyone on the road!

Glad you're okay and they are paying to fix your bike

Quick Reply: My wreck that I will never forget